Thread: Marriage Proposal

Re: Marriage Proposal

<3 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phuzella View Post
    What a lovely thread .

You're right Phuzella...this is a nice thread

In a way anything that clashes with Christmas Day can get overlooked.
    What about proposing on Christmas Eve so that becomes a special anniversary in years to come.

Its a gorge thread !! I feel excited LOL

This is a great thread and brings up strong emotions in me.

I proposed to my wife on Christmas day with what I called "A Christmas Story" proposal (Those that know the movie will understand. If not, look up the Christmas morning scene when Ralphie gets his BB gun). We had been together for a few years and I knew she wanted to get married. The previous two years had been challenging with my heart issues and cancer. I bought a beautiful ring and planned the strategy....

I didn't hold back and splurged on a lot of gifts.. and some nice ones too! My wife is from Ecuador and was brought up Roman Catholic. So their tradition was to go to church Christmas Eve for midnight mass, come home, have a big meal with the family and then open presents. Quite unlike the American tradition.

So Christmas Eve, she was really excited and wanted to open one of the presents but I was staunch on my stance that we wait until the morning. I could tell she was really itching to open something. We go to bed around 11pm and she's like a little kid and can't sleep. I had no problem and was out quickly. I woke up around 1am or so and had to use the bathroom (which I always do anyway so no need to worry), so I get up and go. I get back into bed thinking she's asleep and I hear "Merry Christmas Papi" . I say "Merry Christmas Chiquita" and roll over to go back to sleep. As I knew she would, she asks "Can we open presents now?" . I say "Baby, it's 1 o'clock in the morning. We'll open presents in the morning Ok? Now please, go to sleep" She responds with obvious disappointment in her voice "Ok". Plan working out perfectly!

I wait a few minutes and say "Chiquita, do you want to open presents?" she nearly screams "YES!" So I told her to go downstairs and put some coffee on. She waits patiently for me to come down, get a cup of coffee and wake up a bit.

Then it's present time. We open up all the presents and she was thrilled! I knew she was hoping for a ring but that wasn't under the tree. She says "Well, that's everything" and I say Yep... did Santa bring you everything you wanted?" She responded with kind of a sigh "Yeah" Again, playing right into my plan

At that point I took her hands and told her that the best Christmas present I could ever get was her as she had been with me through my 2nd heart attack and cancer and I couldn't imagine my life without her. I got on my knee and took out the ring that had been in my pocket the whole time and popped the question. She started crying and just shaking her head yes

I tell you that story to encourage you to do it on Christmas! I love the teddy bear idea too! It should be just the two of you. Just speak from your heart and go for it! It will be the best present for both of you and make each Christmas in the future a celebration of not just the holiday but the beginning of your commitment to each other.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Awwwwwww fish. I'm all goosebumps again!!!!

I got engaged to my husband on Christmas day 2013. I opened my card that said "to my fiancé" and that was my proposal lol.

Sent from my moto e5 using Tapatalk

A bit overwhelmed with the interest in this. Glad to see people still care about this it's really important to me. Fish your post really struck a chord with me today man... She wants to open one present at midnight on Xmas I think I'll put the ring in the teddy bear box and do it then. The ring arrived today and really happy with it. Have engraved 'C+S Always' for a bit of extra cheese! My work has recommended I take paid annual leave as I've not been well last couple of months. I didn't ask. Shani is the one constant and want to end on something positive this year and start a new chapter. Listening to Ocean Drive by Lighthouse Family and feeling good again! Will keep yous posted. Thanks guys. X
    Last edited by C1989; 08-12-18 at 21:27.

DId you do it ?

I hope so!! Would be great to have some happy news!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishmanpa View Post
    This is a great thread and brings up strong emotions in me.

I proposed to my wife on Christmas day with what I called "A Christmas Story" proposal (Those that know the movie will understand. If not, look up the Christmas morning scene when Ralphie gets his BB gun). We had been together for a few years and I knew she wanted to get married. The previous two years had been challenging with my heart issues and cancer. I bought a beautiful ring and planned the strategy....

I didn't hold back and splurged on a lot of gifts.. and some nice ones too! My wife is from Ecuador and was brought up Roman Catholic. So their tradition was to go to church Christmas Eve for midnight mass, come home, have a big meal with the family and then open presents. Quite unlike the American tradition.

So Christmas Eve, she was really excited and wanted to open one of the presents but I was staunch on my stance that we wait until the morning. I could tell she was really itching to open something. We go to bed around 11pm and she's like a little kid and can't sleep. I had no problem and was out quickly. I woke up around 1am or so and had to use the bathroom (which I always do anyway so no need to worry), so I get up and go. I get back into bed thinking she's asleep and I hear "Merry Christmas Papi" . I say "Merry Christmas Chiquita" and roll over to go back to sleep. As I knew she would, she asks "Can we open presents now?" . I say "Baby, it's 1 o'clock in the morning. We'll open presents in the morning Ok? Now please, go to sleep" She responds with obvious disappointment in her voice "Ok". Plan working out perfectly!

I wait a few minutes and say "Chiquita, do you want to open presents?" she nearly screams "YES!" So I told her to go downstairs and put some coffee on. She waits patiently for me to come down, get a cup of coffee and wake up a bit.

Then it's present time. We open up all the presents and she was thrilled! I knew she was hoping for a ring but that wasn't under the tree. She says "Well, that's everything" and I say Yep... did Santa bring you everything you wanted?" She responded with kind of a sigh "Yeah" Again, playing right into my plan

At that point I took her hands and told her that the best Christmas present I could ever get was her as she had been with me through my 2nd heart attack and cancer and I couldn't imagine my life without her. I got on my knee and took out the ring that had been in my pocket the whole time and popped the question. She started crying and just shaking her head yes

I tell you that story to encourage you to do it on Christmas! I love the teddy bear idea too! It should be just the two of you. Just speak from your heart and go for it! It will be the best present for both of you and make each Christmas in the future a celebration of not just the holiday but the beginning of your commitment to each other.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Positive thoughts
    What a LOVELY story!! Hope it went that well for you too c1989
    Xx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information