Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marriage Proposal

Marriage Proposal

I'm thinking of proposing to my girlfriend of 5.5 years this Christmas Day 2018. I've bought a nice engagement ring her size. She's known about my mental health problems over the years and has always stuck by me and never judged me. We've always thought we were soulmates, truly want the best for each other and always lift each other up. Her brother is coming over for Christmas as we're in Scotland and family commitments down in London can be hard around work. Should I propose in front of her brother at my place? I planned on proposing privately but I really want to on Christmas day. I'm 29 and never been married. Should you read something out and propose or just show the ring first? Do you need to let your folks know first? I'm a bit nervous I guess; probably for no reason but feel the timing is right as we're really talking about our future together and I love this girl. How have you proposed marriage? Would a girl prefer it be private? Can't believe I'm thinking of stuff like this but the universe has its way of bringing people into your life!
    Last edited by C1989; 07-12-18 at 03:37.

Re: Marriage Proposal

If she loves you, it'll be magical no matter how you do it, I promise.

Privacy might be best, though - maybe you could send her brother out to buy a newspaper or something while you pop the question?

Don't do it in front of the brother. Keep it intimate. Just you two. I think you should say something...like Will You Marry Me - with ring in hand. Nerves are normal. Congratulations! And Merry Christmas!

I think to keep it private too. However, I guess you have to base it on your knowledge of her and the type of person she is...some people do go for the 'big event' infront of stadiums of people but I don't know that the majority of people would like that.

Nowadays there is no need to 'speak to family' first, on either side, things have moved on from that etiquette (which was around 60 years ago). You are both mature and independent people, and therefore you are the two who matter and need to communicate with each other.

Find the right place, and the right time on the day....have your words ready but keep it simple 'I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you....would you....etc'.

Private sounds better then. Won't get hung up on Christmas Day but yeah she'll appreciate it I'm sure any day. Thanks, God bless.

Why don't you propose before Christmas day? That way you can share the news with family in Christmas and celebrate.

In conversations I've had with women who were expecting to be proposed to, they always guessed the guy would propose on their birthday, valentine's Day or around Christmas/New Year. Maybe completely catch her off guard?

Good luck with your proposal! How wonderful. X

Yeah....good point......make an ordinary day special. Like go somewhere and look over a city with all the lights on, just as a matter of course before Xmas or something. Oooooooo......DO let us know the outcome !!!

Oh Carys that sounds amazing. Made me all goosebumpy! x

I might do that! I'm excited and nervous but time flies and realized it's up to me to do this. I've bought a huge 1m tall teddy bear for Xmas in a box was gonna wrap the ring and put it in there haha. It's maybe better to do it before hand and catch her off guard somewhere nice. I'll let yous know thanks so much.

What a lovely thread .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information