Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long before hunger kicks in?

How long before hunger kicks in?

I took first 15mg zispin pill last night around 11.30pm and didnt wake until 12.30 today!! Even then could have gone back to sleep, so here I am in a state of zombie /dizzyness. I ate breakfast (should prob say lunch) and had coffee but no difference in hunger yet. When can I expect it? I have taken Lexapro before and had extreme hunger on it within hours of taking first pill. Is the hunger inevitable on this med??

Re: How long before hunger kicks in?

Hi Rooby - increased appetite is a well known side effect of mirtazapine, however not everyone gets it. My experience of this is that I did not get an increase in appetite until after the third day. Then thankfully (for me) this side effect ceased by the end of the third week.
    Sedation is a well known side effect also and hits hardest in the first two days.

Belle x

I take 45mg of Mirtazapine at the moment (just gone up from 30mg) and I have not had an increase in hunger, in fact I have a very poor appetite and have lost weight. I suppose that everybody is different but just wanted to say that increased hunger is not inevitable.

Good luck xx

I've gained some weight on mz'pine (30mg/day), though I haven't felt I've been hungrier or eaten more food than before :S

As you can see from these replies, there are lots of different experiences and it will depend on your body!

thanks for replies and it's good to hear positive things, actually yesterday I ate less than normal felt a bit sick after small dinner. No significant hunger today yet either.
    I have been a bit snappy and have the shakes more than normal. I did not sleep so good last night, and again feel like a fuzzy zombie but managed to drive my daughter into town (10 miles) just had to really concentrate.
    I hope to try to stick this out as I am not good on SSRIs and am emotionally exhausted running on nervous energy due to anxiety

I was put on Mirtazapine several years ago due to not being able to tolerate SSRIs, the first couple of weeks I did feel a little 'heady' but for me it was upwards from there. I am pleased that you are sticking with it and hope that it helps you as much as it has me. Has your Dr said what dose you will eventualy be on as 15mg is usualy the starting dose and 30 - 40mg being the theraputic dosage.

Good luck xxx

hi Sunshine
    No doc just gave me a repeat prescription for 3 months for 15mg but I'm sure I can up the dose when I feel the need to. How long have you been taking them for? Are they helping you - you said you just upped yr dose?

Hi rooby.

I have been taking Mirtazapine for approx 6 years. I started on 15mg but went up to 30mg after a week or 2, I then went up to 45mg when I was going through a tough time. I was taking 45mg for quite some time before going back to 30mg. I have gone back up to 45mg following a recent crisis.
    I was told that 15mg was the starting dose and the theraputic dosage was 30 -40mg, but that may have been what my psychiatrist thought was right for me. They do help me a lot but I take them along side other medications - remember everyone is different

Take care xx

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine-lady View Post
    Hi rooby.

I have been taking Mirtazapine for approx 6 years. I started on 15mg but went up to 30mg after a week or 2, I then went up to 45mg when I was going through a tough time. I was taking 45mg for quite some time before going back to 30mg. I have gone back up to 45mg following a recent crisis.
    I was told that 15mg was the starting dose and the theraputic dosage was 30 -40mg, but that may have been what my psychiatrist thought was right for me. They do help me a lot but I take them along side other medications - remember everyone is different

Take care xx
    Sorry to hear that you are unwell and in hospital Sunshine Lady. I am currently on a 'maintenance' dose of 45mg and have been on this for about two years. It helps to keep the illness at bay. I take mirtazapine and lithium. EJ.

Thank you EJ,
    I am having a review in the morning with my psychiatrist and social worker, my hubby will be with me too. I have been told that I am more than likely to be discharged and will get extra support from the CMHT untill I am back on my feet again.

I am currently taking 45mg Mirtazapine, 400mg Lamotrogine and 800mg Seroquel, plus Zopiclone when needed. They will probably drop my Mirtazapine to 30mg at some point as I have bipolar and 45mg has sent me 'high' in the past. Oh the joys of meds!

Di xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information