Thread: IBS and weight loss

IBS and weight loss

Hi friends - I am in panic mode again. I guess I just need reassurance. For a month now my mom has been having pain in her lower abdomen (she thinks the pain is near her ovaries). She has also had alot of gas, diarrhea, constipation. She had a pelvic ultrasound done 10 days ago and nothing was found except a small fibroid on her uterus. She started on an SSRI antidepressant and started feeling better. Even had a few days without the pain. Today she said the pain is back and she weighed herself and has lost 10-12 pounds in the past month. She isn't eating much because she is afraid to set off the IBS more. But she has no appetite either. I did a quick google search on IBS and it said weight loss was not a symptom of IBS. Now I am more scared because I know it is a symptom of the big "c" word. All the fear and panic is back.

She and I both fear the doctor is missing something. Should she have had an "internal" ultrasound - not just a pelvic/abdominal ultrasound. I am worried they did not get a good look at her ovaries. Also - is weight loss normal with IBS?

Thank you for listening. My husband gets so mad when I start looking online for answers. He actually disconnected the internet on me today so I couldn't go online. I have no one to talk to about my fears.

Re: IBS and weight loss

If she isn't eating well then 10 to 12 pounds of weight loss in a month isn't something totally ridiculous to have lost. SSRI's can make you lose your appetite at the start as well.

The symptoms you have listed are all classic IBS symptoms.

Is your mother still menstruating? If so, this is one of the times that IBS can act up and of course ovaries twinge and hurt during ovulation, this can get worse with age and hormone failure.

I think your husband did you a favor. It is probably best to stop googling and looking for an answer that you have already. If your mom is concerned then she really should call her GP back and not send you off playing Doctor.

Re: IBS and weight loss

She will lose weight if she isn't eating to be honest - that is natural and not related to cancer at all.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thread Information