Thread: foods and meds

foods and meds

i read somewhere about avoiding some foods on certain anyi ds. is this true?if so what meds and what foods?

apriltones

I have never heard of this and I never avoided any foods when I was on them.

Nicola

This only applies if you are on MAOI's (monoamine anti-oxide inhibitors) which are not prescribed much any more. There is a long list of foods such as cheese and I think coffee.

Emily

im on exeffor, not sure what mine is. What about decongestants etc? what medicine should you avoid when on my tabs? as a phobia of med sufferer i dont read instruction leaflets. thanks

apriltones

Hiya April

I dont blame you for not reading the leaflets, they can be a bit scarey sometimes cant they. They are however put there for the patients own good so they can see what they can and cant take with them etc..but yes, as panickers this isnt always a good thing is it?

Anyway Effexor a.k.a Venlafaxine is a SNRI - serotonin and noradrenaline re-uktake inhibitor. You shouldnt take other antidepressants or a certain drug for parkinsons with it (which im guessing you arent.

I havent got the drug leaflet, only my pharmacy book so im sure any others on her on Effexor will be able to tell you more.

I hope this helps for a start!!!

love Sarah
    xx

hi sarah,

thanks for your reply,yes that be good if any one else knows about it, take care, april x

apriltones

quote:Venlafaxine must not be taken at the same time as, or within two weeks of taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor. This includes MAOI antidepressants, eg phenelzine, tranylcypromine; the MAO-A inhibitor antidepressant, moclobemide; and the MAO-B inhibitor for Parkinson's disease, selegeline. Conversely, an MAOI should not be started until at least one week after stopping venlafaxine. This is because using these medicines together can cause a serious and potentially life-threatening interaction.

Venlafaxine may increase the blood levels of the following medicines, and this may increase the risk of side effects from these medicines:
    - tricyclic antidepressants such as desipramine
    - haloperidol.

Venlafaxine may decrease the blood level of the anti-HIV medicine, indinavir. This may possibly decrease the effectiveness of the indinavir, but the clinical importance of the interaction is not yet known.

Cimetidine may increase the blood level of venlafaxine. This is not usually a problem, but if you are elderly or have impaired liver function you should be monitored more closely by your doctor if you are taking these two medicines together.

Venlafaxine may enhance the anti-blood-clotting effect of anticoagulant medicines, such as warfarin. Blood clotting times should therefore be monitored in people taking anticoagulants if they start or stop taking venlafaxine.

Emily

hi emily, thanks alot for that, thats brilliant, april

apriltones

Thread Information