Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slow release 80mg Propranolol

Re: Slow release 80mg Propranolol

Hi Han_Xander, I am on 80mg of slow release Propranolol and haven't gained any weight or had any problems at all using it. What it does for me is just 'quietens' all my physical symptoms of stress/anxiety e.g flushing, booming heart beats, and the overall 'jitteryness'. It's a beta blocker and unlike say, Diazepam, it doesn't 'calm you down', but masks the physical symptoms. I doubt that the Propranolol would make you more anxious. Hope this helps.

Thanks Mizfiesta.

I took a propranolol this morning instead of last night as I was initially told to, and I do feel less jittery & actually a bit happier today - I have the worries but I think not getting wound up to the point of feeling sick is helping the thoughts go away quicker. I was prescribed Diazepam for really bad days, and took one yesterday for the first time...(2mg) didn't do anything at all lol.

My main issue is the thoughts that cause the anxiety though, so I'm not sure how beta blockers will help me. I am doing IAPT at the moment, and probably CBT later as it's not really working. But I really don't fancy going back onto Sertraline or anything like that, so we'll see.

Thanks for your reply x

2mg of Diazepam doesn't really do much for me either, but I guess I feel at least a wee bit better psychologically after having take it.

Yea it will take time to get the thoughts under control. If your physically more relaxed then it does help you deal better with negative thoughts.

Have you tried listening to a relaxation cd? I listen to Andrew Johnson's 'Deep Relaxation' app daily and it does help.

I also take Citalopram. It's not 'cured' me but I think it does diminish the power of negative thoughts. Of course no medication is without its side effects/drawbacks. It's a minefield.

You should try writing all your negative, worrying thoughts down on paper then reason with yourself of the likelihood of them happening - it takes away a bit of the power they have over you.

That's a good idea, I've been thinking of trying that -I do it in my head sometimes, and I know they're irrational thoughts, but they still niggle. Might try some relaxation stuff too. I do go to the gym alot to try and get the stress out, but I'm very busy..which doesn't help as I worry about that too!

My main problem is with my boyfriend, I'm a bit of a psycho-case worrying he'll leave and that other girls will try steal him away lol even though he's given me no reason to worry. He's great about it though and very reassuring. Sometimes I worry that the more he reassures me, the more I need it though.

I was on Citalopram last year but I was violently ill on it, Sertraline helped alot but as I said I got the horrid side effects (also not helping my relationship hehe! )

I think I'll try stick to the Propranolol, I do feel calmer and I feel it might help me understand my thoughts during the CBT process, as on Sertraline they dissapeared completely, so it was hard to fill out the self help stuff when I didn't feel that way anymore!

How long have you been on the Propranolol for?

I've been on Propranolol for a few months now and I've found them really helpful.

I know what it's like when your thoughts go out of control but try and ignore them. Your boyfriend has chosen YOU and there's no ball and chain keeping him there.

But you must also realise that you might freak him out by constantly seeking to be reassured. Just try and trust him. If he ever does decide to leave, you worrying about it is not going to prevent it. You also cannot put all your faith in one person, or rely on anyone to heavily. Just take each day as it comes. I've been through a divorce (and had two young kids) which I thought the pain of would kill me - it didn't. I survived. You must get your confidence to a level where you don't rely on anyone else to heavily - you must gain strength - your probably already stronger than you think!

Yeah I guess it would annoy me if he was constantly asking me about things all the time. I think I've kinda lost sight of what's normal and what isn't lately. Sometimes I think it's normal to worry about some things, but not every time I see him!

Thanks for all your help. I'm not sure the Propranolol is going to work for me, I'm still pretty anxious most of the time and I think it'd be working by now. We'll see how things go!

Congrats on surviving through all that, wow, I'm not sure I'd be strong enough for anything like that!

Quote Originally Posted by mizfiesta View Post
    Hi Han_Xander, I am on 80mg of slow release Propranolol and haven't gained any weight or had any problems at all using it. What it does for me is just 'quietens' all my physical symptoms of stress/anxiety e.g flushing, booming heart beats, and the overall 'jitteryness'. It's a beta blocker and unlike say, Diazepam, it doesn't 'calm you down', but masks the physical symptoms. I doubt that the Propranolol would make you more anxious. Hope this helps.
    I second these comments. Also, if you are starting the slow release, give it a few days and take it the same time every day. If you stop taking it, I've experienced, same thing.. it takes a couple days to work out of your system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information