Thread: Contraceptive coil and panic attacks

Contraceptive coil and panic attacks

For over 20 years (since I was 19 years old) I've suffered from panic attacks and agoraphobia. The agoraphobia affected me in many ways though over the years I pretty much led a normal-ish life although kinda restricted to within a 'safety zone' of 15-20 miles. I didn't venture outwith this.

Cutting a long story short, I've had an increase in my anxiety the last couple of months and just under six weeks ago things took a turn for the worse and I walked out of work and went straight to see my GP who signed me off work. I've been off ill since. I was given meds to though still waiting for them to work.

Two days prior to walking out of work I had an IUD (contraceptive coil) fitted. It's the one with the copper and not the Mirena type with hormones. It was quite traumatic getting it fitted. Very painful and I had to have an injection to relax my uterus to allow it to be fitted.

I'm not sure if the increase in my symptoms two days later was going to hit me anyway or perhaps the trauma of this procedure has been the proverbial 'straw that broke the camels back' but I found a 'thread' online which points to the copper IUD as being the cause of an increase or onset of panic attacks and anxiety due to the copper in the IUD. The thread is here http://www.mothering.com/community/t...d-side-effects.

Anyway I'm going to have the IUD removed as soon as I can as, whether this is true or not, the idea is firmly planted in my head and I have no choice now but to get it removed. It's done nothing but cause me pain anyway.

Just wondered if any of you have heard of this before and ask for your opinions?
    "In the end we only regret chances we didnt take, relationships we were scared to have, and decisions we waited to long to make. There comes a time in your life when you realise who matters, who doesn't, who never did, and who always will". - Anon

Re: Contraceptive coil and panic attacks

Thats interesting, there seems to be loads of things that you wouldn't think were linked with anxiety that can trigger it.
    My mum (shes a therapist) told me that alot of the people that panic in the supermarket start to have an attack in the isles where all the washing powders & cleaning products are. Something to do with chemicals.
    I'm not sure about the coil but theres a fair bit of info about it being linked to anxiety.
    Anyway you were very brave to get one fitted the thought terrifies me! x

I'm not sure about the copper, but it could well increase your anxiety because of hormones.

I only ever get anxiety and panic attacks when I am on the Pill. I take it, get into such a state I feel like committing myself to a mental ward, remember it was the Pill, come off it, feel better, then think I imagined it, go on Pill again having forgotten everything... I've been off it now for almost a month and feel MUCH better, though not 100% just yet. I heard it can take 3 months to get back to hormonal normal.

As the coil also works with hormones (not artifical ones, but makes your body think it's pregnant) you could be affected by the change in hormone levels. There's a lot of information about anxiety and hormones out there (just google 'panic hormones' for instance) and a definite link.

I didn't realise the pill could cause it too. I can't come off mine though as my periods are awful without it, I'm going to switch to the injection soon though so I hope thats not worse! :/

Anyway OP by the sound of it, once you have the coil removed you might feel a bit better, I've heard that having them fitted isn't very nice so just remember you have been very brave and it will be ok. x

The injection is just as bad as tge pill as it's the same hormones! The only non hormonal contraception is the copper coil

I have one but I had it fitted after having my little boy so not sure if the anxiety is worse cos of that or my hormones after having my baby. I won't be having it removed though as I've not had any problems

Thread Information