Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CBT.NHS. How long have people had to wait. Are they still waiting

Re: CBT.NHS. How long have people had to wait. Are they still waiting

HI thetube82,

I live in Barnsley. Well Penistone which borders west yorkshire actually.
    What is IAPT ?
    I have transport and am prepared to travel though.
    Will ask the CPN this afternoon.

Thanks for the advice,

Peter

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Been to see the CPN this afternoon. Apparently i am already on the IAPT list for CBT. So thanks for the thought tube but still the wait continues...

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by psb View Post
    Here's a thought. As i am potentially becoming a mature student again. Does any one know whether being an NUS Member will make any difference in accessing CBT ?
    I also don't want to annoy, but I really can't say enough good things about my treatment on the NHS with CBT, and waiting times especially! But this could be because I went through my University Med Centre. The uni mental health advisor set everything up for me, and I had to wait a maximum of 6 weeks or so (don't remember exactly) before I saw the low intensity practitioner, who ended up giving me face-to-face sessions as I declined to only receive guidance over the phone (I'm better about using the phone now, but would have been totally put off if that was all that was offered). After about 6-8 sessions, I was stepped up to high intensity CBT, and only had to wait about 2 or 3 weeks before starting that, and it was a smooth transition.

I think it did make a difference going through the university, as I have a friend who went through his home GP but within the same county, GLOS, and he's been waiting 6 months so far. Also, because I was clear that I was a student, they recognised I had some urgency as I was at risk of dropping out altogether within a term or so if I wasn't helped soon!

As for what IAPT is ('Improving Access to Psychological Therapies'), as much as I gather, I think it is national guidance/requirement(?) that local NHS providers should have provisions for patients to be able to easily receive talking therapies in addition to medication. It is then up to local NHS to make programmes that ensures this. I guess that is why there is variation across UK about how good these programmes are and how easy it is to actually receive therapy.

If you're interested, I have been writing a blog which initially was mostly focused on the work I did during my sessions with the high intensity therapist ('Celine'), and then I added my notes I'd been keeping during the time with the low intensity worker ('SG'). They can be found under the tag 'IAPT'.

Hey well. Thems the breaks i suppose. Glad that some are benefiting from CBT, if not everybody.
    By the way have peeked at your blog ZHBully. Interesting insight into what to expect. Thanks for the link.
    Send Word,

Peter
    Last edited by psb; 08-09-11 at 17:59.

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

I was on the waiting list for CBT in November and I had my first session 13th January.
    "I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." - Marilyn.Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by RafflesGeorgiou View Post
    I was on the waiting list for CBT in November and I had my first session 13th January.
    Hi RafflesGeorgiou,
    If you don't mind me asking what kind of progress have you made with CBT.
    Has it made a noticeable difference to your life?

Thanks,

Peter

Alexander Solzhenitsyn

ive just been to dr who is putting me forward for CBT again

Quote Originally Posted by MardyBum View Post
    ive just been to dr who is putting me forward for CBT again
    Were you not accepted for CBT the first time, or are you going back for another set of sessions? Hope it is useful.

I asked for CBT in July and got my first assessment in september, judging by others experiences this is quite quick

Hi Everyone

For those of you seeking CBT for the treatment of Panic Disorder why not try the CBT programme recommended here on nomrepanic - CBT4PANIC

Then you won't have to wait at all - Lot's of people on this forum are finding it very helpful.

You can try it free for 30 days.

Robin

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information