Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cant face work

cant face work

hi guys
    so i didnt go into work sat because of a major panic attack on the way to work, rang in and explained and manager wasnt sympathetic at all. im due to go in tonight but having panic attacks thinking about it, i dont think i can go in, im a wreck everytime im in work. what do you think would be the best option. xx

Re: cant face work

It's up to you but when this happened to me I saw my GP and was signed off. This is a real illness and you need to get over it before you can function at work. You need to recover as much from this as you would if you had the flu.

Good Luck x x

The longer you avoid things because of panic and anxiety, the messier the situation gets in my experience! It becomes harder to get back into the situation you're avoiding.

Try changing your thought pattern towards going into work, instead of telling yourself you can't go into work and you will be a wreck as soon as you get there, tell yourself you can do it and even if you do have a panic, you'll get through it because you're strong enough.

The best way to beating anxiety or keeping it at bay is to maintain your routine. You might find it hard, even unbearable at times but in the long run you'll thank your lucky stars you didn't choose avoidance!

Visit your doctor to discuss your options, like meds or a little time off work, and try to look into some calming techniques you can use in your work place, focus on how you can calm yourself down during these attacks rather than what you can do to prevent them. Once you've got a grip on how to calm yourself, eventually you might find them less severe, less frequent and more manageable.

Hope you feel better soon x
    Last edited by PokerFace; 05-09-11 at 11:05.

thanks so much for your reply, i think il ring the docs now, i feel as if no one believes me it used to come and go but now its staying. thanks xx

Panic attacks and anxiety are real, you need to see your GP and try some counselling to find methods of coping/ avoiding the attacks. But first you need to know what's causing them, some time off work should help, your manager has a responsibilty under the law to manage stress in a certain way- check out your companies policy and make sure they follow it!
    Good luck
    chrism

I may be speaking out of term here so apologies in advance.

I continued to work while I was suffering horrendous panic attacks & it was facing it head on that helped me to get through it. I still throw up some mornings before I go to work, but I will not let it beat me.

Go to the doctors by all means but by getting signed off & you're just prolonging it.....the feeling will still be there when your sick note runs out.

It's fear that you fear, not work.

v. survived, surviving, survives
    v.intr. 1. To remain alive or in existence.
    2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere
    3. To remain functional or usable

v.tr. 1. To live longer than; outlive
    2. To live, persist, or remain usable through
    3. To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after

i had 3 weeks off a couple of months ago because i was ill with my anxiety, im waiting to see a counciler, im avoiding meds as most meds dnt agree with me. my manager knows what im going through but still they dnt care im just a number to them. this anxiety is even affecting my family time, im afraid to go out of my comfort zone (my town) just in case something happens. thanks so much for your help guys xx

Hi,

When my anxiety/panic attacks became unbearable I was signed off for a few weeks and prescibed meds. As I have small children my main priority was to get "mummy" back to normal so I could carry on with the family life, and then I could focus on my worklife. I do not think being signed off is "running away", after a few weeks off work and the meds started to kick in, I returned and felt so much better. Please do not worry about what work etc think. Anxiety is an illness, and like any illness you need time to recover. It will get better.

Quote Originally Posted by rachel04 View Post
    i had 3 weeks off a couple of months ago because i was ill with my anxiety, im waiting to see a counciler, im avoiding meds as most meds dnt agree with me. my manager knows what im going through but still they dnt care im just a number to them. this anxiety is even affecting my family time, im afraid to go out of my comfort zone (my town) just in case something happens. thanks so much for your help guys xx
    Rachel I think you are braver than you think. Anxiety is a horrible thing, don't let it beat you.

Unfortunately many people don't understand anxiety...& are wrapped up in their own lives. Let us just hope that they never experience it themselves!!

Good luck with the counselling...remember that you are in control of your anxiety, not the other way around.

v. survived, surviving, survives
    v.intr. 1. To remain alive or in existence.
    2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere
    3. To remain functional or usable

v.tr. 1. To live longer than; outlive
    2. To live, persist, or remain usable through
    3. To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after

thanks for your help, iv tried changing my thought pattern and hitting it head on but it dont work for me i think my best option would be to have some time off and have some councilling
    thanks all xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information