Thread: having to face my fears, colonoscopy! Terrified!

having to face my fears, colonoscopy! Terrified!

spoke to my gp today about my bowel worries of ocassional diahorea, loose stools, increased frequency and excess gas. I have had ibs for over 20 years and have been highly anxious for 3 months.

My gp said that she is 99% sure its nothing serious but given the length of time its been going on that a colonoscopy would be a good idea, she told me to think about it and to let her know if i want to be referred.

I'm so scared i can't think straight.

Re: having to face my fears, colonoscopy! Terrified!

It is the only way you are going to be reassured that everything is ok I guess.

It is not a pleasant experience but a necessary one I think.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I am glad that you are having it done, it will give you peace of mind and help you to move on from your fear of what it could be, I had mine on friday as I was bleeding as well which we all know is not IBS and so after worrying my self sick, litterally they got me a cancellation appointment and I was booked in for Friday Morning I nearlly cancelled but decided what that would achieve would be more and more worry, so I went they were fantastic and I came away with my diagnosis, colitis and proctitis, not great I know but far better than what I had convinced myself it was.
    I promise it is not that bad, wouldnt want one every day but it is 99% less bad than I thought it would be.
    When are you going? I will be there holding your hand in mind if not in body.
    I have had IBS since I was in my early 20s and I still have it, sometimes more than others but it does you no harm other than a bit of a pain.
    Take care and yes GO for it.
    XXX

If you don't get it done, you will keep thinking about it. If you do get it done, you will be relieved. I am the same as you, I always go through the logic of tests/doctors - What if they find something? Then thank god you got it done so it can be treated. But the chances are 1%, like your doctor said. Usually the only thing that makes me go is just sheer exhaustion from being worried.

Get it done, it is a good idea just for your peace of mind.

can anyone else relate to this, i'm so scared.

What are you scared of Rainbow?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I hope this makes you feel better and not worse. When they found cancer in my mom's colon, it was because she was in so much pain that she could not function and had to go to the ER. Your doctor is probably only sending you to make sure she does everything so she cannot be sued in the RARE instance that it is something. Your doctor would not tell you to not be worried if she was concerned because they don't want to get sued!

Good luck, let us know what you decide

Hi Rainbow I have had several colonoscopies. The thing I found most helpful beforehand was watching Lynn Faulds Wood's video of her experiences of having a colonoscopy. It helped me a lot. EJ

Thread Information