Thread: Slightly raised WBC and blood and leuktites in urine???

Slightly raised WBC and blood and leuktites in urine???

So I am trying to supress alot of my other health anxieties but then I wake up this morning and remember that when I went to the hospital last week they said the above about my blood test and urine sample.

I of course heard leouktites don't know how to spell it and panicked about leukaemia but they laughed at me and said it was a urine infection.

Then I have my blood done and my White blood count is high, the doctor said ever so slightly high but of course I panicked again.

Anyway I was put on antibiotics for the water infection even tho I felt no symptoms of a urine infection, I did have a tooth infection at the time.

Well that was that have not been asked to be retested or anything what does it mean???

Re: Slightly raised WBC and blood and leuktites in urine???

Hi, this sounds familiar to me, I had a infection and a high white blood count some time ago, can't remember exactly now as I have lots of problems with stress - acute/chronic pain -anxiety...I have my GP's computer medical records for the last 9 years + records and letters from hospitals etc back to around 1980...I recently requested the latest records.

I'll have to study them and find the appointments for the infection and what was written and the medication,.

I wouldn't worry too much I got through the problem OK.

I'll try post later today.

J.

Thank you

They didn't seem worried and havent even called me for a retest is that normal?

Perfectly normal, I once had a blood test that showed inflamation and they tested me every month for 6 months the my Dr said leave it alone as they cant find what it was, I think maybe it was the start of my RA but who knows it was 20+ years ago.
    Your water infection and tooth problem will all show in blood tests and some people have raised crp all there lives.
    Dont worry it will sort it self and as you said you had no symptoms, drink plenty of water to help flush it through.
    Take care x

Your Dr would expect you to have raised levels in your blood if you had a tooth infection and a urine infection that is perfectly normal and when the infection goes then you blood returns to normal. These raised levels show that your body is doing what it is supposed to do when confronted by bacterial infection. If you had a viral infection like bad cold or flu then different things would be raised in your blood test.

Hi Kirsty,
    I don't know how different platelets are to white blood cells but i'll tell you my experience..

Last year around march I had a blood test and my platelets came back high and my dr said not to worry, but I need a blood test in 6 weeks to see if they had gone down.

On my second test they had gone down, and I was only slightly out of range, I think normal would be 140-450 and my last test was showed that I had 490..

I was still freak out with it, my dr said not worry sometimes peoples platelets are slightly higher when fighting of an infection (even a small one)

I havent had a blood test since as im scared of them, but its always in the back of my mind. Its been over a year now.. I dont know how similar they are as you said but my doctor didnt seem worried, and i mentioned it the other day and all she said was if its causing you anxiety book a blood test. But as I said I hate them! lol

I hope this has reassured you, x

Hi
    Leucocytes are white blood cells. There are normally very few in urine so if a dip stick test was done and showed these it would point to a "probable" infection. but they are very sensitive and sometimes show things that are not there. Most doctors would give antibiotics to someone with leucocytes on a dipstick without further investigations if
    you are otherwise well
    first urine infection
    dont have very obvious symptoms.

your blood test with slightly raised WBC just shows your body is doing as it should and fighting any infection you may have. This could just be a common cold.
    Without any other very obvious signs of infection (and it would be very obvious to a doc) this is very normal and wouldnt require further investigations.
    This is all very easy for me to say and i can never take my own advice so i know how you must be worrying, hope you feel better soon
    Daisy xx

I think the above posts cover it all, read my notes about this and I had some kind of infection nothing serious, it was in Feb 2006.

I was on Citalopram 20mg at the time which was reduced to 10mg as I was having trouble tolerating it, Cit stopped after about two months and replaced with Lofepramine which was also stopped so I gave up with the doc's for a while!

Back later, subscribed to this now, still finding my way around the forum so give me a nudge if I miss anything!
    John.

Thread Information