Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying

Flying

Hi;

I've never posted under Phobia's before, but I thought this would be the best place for my post.

I'm TERRIFIED of flying. I am going back to Canada in 3 days, I haven't seen my friends or family in a year and a half, and all I can think of is a plane crash dream I had a few months ago. It was so real. Flying is always hard for me, I get sweaty, dizzy, I cry on takeoff and sit tensed for hours. It's miserable. The thought of flying is enough to bring these symptoms on alone. I am so afraid of dying on the flight, and I don't want to die. I am young and have too much to do in my life.

I also want so desperately to see my friends and family again and I am terrified of something happening to prevent that.

Can anybody help?

Tasha

"To do anything in this world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger; but jump in, and scramble through as well as we can."
    -Sydney Smith

Oh, I'm sorry Tash. Can't really offer you any advice because this is a HUGE phobia for me. I'm absolutely convinced when I set foot on board aplane, it's going to crash! I spend the whole flight listening to every tiny noise and I'm constantly monitoring the stewardesses faces trying to work out if there's some sort of problem with the plane!

I know that doesn't really help u tash, but I just want you to know that you're not alone in this horrid fear.

Shiv x

I had fears about flying, especially take off, once I'm up there I'm fine. I took travel pills that pretty much knocked me out at first. Is there anything your dr could prescribe just to 'get you through' the flight? Try and think positive thoughts, the good things about flying - seeing your family and friends - the food LOL - anything that you can think of really to take your mind off it.
    Hope that helps

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Thanks guys. I appreciate your support. I got some valium (2mg) from the doctor, so if the going gets too tough, I'll try taking one of those and hopefully that will help.

Keep your fingers crossed for me! xxxx

"To do anything in this world worth doing, we must not stand back shivering and thinking of the cold and danger; but jump in, and scramble through as well as we can."
    -Sydney Smith

i have got a book that is great if you are nervous flyer it is called Flying Without Fear and it is by Keith Godfrey, Gordon Redrup. it has helped me.

Hi Basha,

I'm petrified of flying, but last year somehow made the 9 hours flight to jamaica. I got on the plane after a few vodkas, but once in my seat i felt numb i was too scared to breath just in case something happened to the plane. On the way back, a friend of mine gave me a sleeping pill (never took one in my life) within half an hour i was asleep and i woke up as we made the landing into manchester. I felt totally rubbish afterwards (effects of the sleeping pill) but it was nothing compared to the 9 hours of terror i would of felt if i did'nt take it. Now that i've down such a long flight, i'm hoping that a 3 or 4 hour flight somewhere else will be a breeze, but i'm not going to test that theory out just yet!!!!

You'll make it i'm sure you will, and won't it be worth it to see your friends and family, there're be so proud of you.

Take care.

Marie XXX

Hi,

I totally understand the fear of getting on a flight - totally. However, for me it is not the fear of crashing. For me it is the fear that I am stuck in this small confined space for hours on end - the fear that there is absolutely no way that if the panic gets so bad I cannot get off - I am stuck there - it completely freaks me out. I hate being confined to my seat especially when the seatbelt light is on. I just feel so trapped - this is my ultimate fear - the fear of being trapped. So although I do not fear crashing I do totally relate to the fear of being on a plane for those few hours. Having to do this myself in 4 wks.

Please do let us know how you got on when you get back.

Hi.

Try not to worry. I know what you mean, I am scared of flying too. Are you flying with anyone? If not you could mention to one of the cabin crew that you are a little scared and they will support you. Just try not to worry. If you can when you are on the plane try and sleep that way you will stop worrying. Hope this helps.

Scooby2005
    x x

Hi Basha - having just got off (yesterday) a vile flight from Cyprus, I can understand your fears completely. I am terrified of flying to the extent that on take off I break into a sweat, shake and (like yesterday) cry!!! I must have been scaring other people on the flight - as well as my partner!

I hated every single second of it, even after having a few brandies to try and calm me.

Like others on here, I sit and listen for ANY tiny sound and turbulance .... well I'm just convinced the plane's going to drop out of the sky.

My brother is in the aerospace business and has tried to rationalise my fears to no avail.

It's so bad, that I can't even understand why people are talking and saying 'when we get back we must do this blah blah' ... I feel like saying 'You're not going to get back!!!'.

I'm going to try and get some help as I don't want to stop travelling abroad.

Hope everything went ok.

hi

I used to be terrified of flying.
    I would listen to all the noises waiting on something to happen and like panicdiva hated the feeling of being trapped and not being able to roll down the window for some air!
    Two years ago I sat in Edinburgh airport causing such a scene as I couldnt get on the plane, when i did get on i cried the whole way, had numerous panic attacks, kept pressing the cabin crew button every time the plane changed noises, my family just about disowned me when we landed! Coming back was the same - the woman behind me said I had started to frighten the other passengers cause I was convinced something was wrong with the plane. I wanted them to land again so I could get off. I said I would never fly again.

Anyway, I did go on a flight a few weeks ago and what got me through was changing the way I thought about flying. When we chatter to ourselves in a negative way, all the what ifs, we are so tense that of course we will be anxious and panicky. Over the next few days, each time you feel anxious about the flight change the wording to I am really excited about the flight, I cant wait to see my friends and family, etc. Look on it as a wonderful journey and you will notice a huge difference.

I did have slight anxiety, but I thoroughly enjoyed the flight, even coped with the turbulence and excuse the pun but I felt on cloud nine when I came home, I was so proud of myself. There is nothing you can do to control a plane, so sit back and relax.

PS Drink plenty water, take a relaxation tape with you and print out some positive words of encouragement from this site or any other positive thoughts to read over when you feel overwhelmed. It does work.

Take care and enjoy

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information