Thread: Panic attacks and anxiety are preventing me from living my normal life!

Panic attacks and anxiety are preventing me from living my normal life!

Hi everyone and anyone who reads this. I'm new to these forums and don't quite know how everything works yet so I'll basically introduce myself and my problem and see where we go from there

I am a 17 year old girl living in the UK and hoping to go to university to study medicine next year. At the moment, I don't know how I'm going to do that because anxiety seems to have taken over my life. Whilst all my friends are having fun, going out and enjoying life, I repeatedly suffer from panic attacks and other anxiety related symptoms that prevent me from acting, eating and living like I used to. It's really getting me down so I joined this website in the hope that someone will help

Basically I had my first panic attack almost two years ago, although I didn't realise what it was back then. It came on the night before an exam - I wasn't actively worrying about it but my heart started beating really fast and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I was shivering and felt sick, and genuinely thought I was dying. But the next day, when it finally went away, I was fine and I didn't think about it anymore.

Then, over a year later, in April I was lying in bed trying to sleep when the same thing happened. The next night it was the same, and after that. I didn't know what to do, and every time I went to bed, I had to calm myself down first so I didn't have another one. My doctor told me I was 'dealing with them' because I wasn't having more attacks after the first two, but I still felt scared I'd have another.

It all got worse over summer. I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome last November after I kept getting cramp-like pains in my stomach, but I started to get terrible indigestion around July and felt bloated and sick all the time. I went on holiday to Jamaica and had a panic attack on the plane, feeling like I couldn't swallow properly. I had many more panic attacks on holiday - even relaxing on a beach! - and I also felt feelings of depression, like nothing had a point and like the sky was smothering me and everything was too dark and things like that. I was told by the resort nurse that I had trapped gas which was making me bloated and told to avoid certain foods. When I got back to England, I was diagnosed with gastritis and given omeprazole, but didn't mention the panic attacks because I was booked to see a counsellor mid-September already and thought that would be enough.

Annoyingly, I was wrong. A few weeks ago, I started to feel a new sensation - like someone was squeezing my head. I felt dizzy and heavy, with occasional dull stabs of pain. When it got really bad, it was almost unbearably uncomfortable and I couldn't focus on anything else. This sensation came and went, sometimes disappearing for whole days and sometimes lasting for multiple days. Paracetamol doesn't help, and I daren't take anything else because of my stomach. The feelings of depression also continued - I feel like just lying on my bed and crying, like nothing I do has a point and like no one cares about me.

Its now nearly 1am and I'm writing this because my head feels so squeezy and hot that I can't sleep. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow, where I will tell her about my problem and hopefully get more help. These symptoms are making my life unbearable and I've started to feel like nothing I do has a point. I'm not on any anxiety meds (they don't want to put me on any because I'm so young I guess) but I really just want to get better and get on with my life.

All I really want to ask now is this: are there other teenagers with anxiety or panic problems? It seems like everyone I know just drinks alcohol, parties, drinks coffee and fizzy drinks and I can't do that! Any words of help, advice or just sympathy would help so so much.

Thank you

Harrydig

Hi Harrydig

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Panic attacks and anxiety are preventing me from living my normal life!

Hi Harrydig,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having such a hard time.

You're far from alone, I started experiencing debilitating anxiety at the age of 14, and most of the people I've spoken to have similar experiences. One of my closest friends in school developed GAD shortly after my diagnosis, he's now well on his way to being a successful dentist, while I'm struggling to get back into uni 6 years after having to drop out. The difference between us is that he was given the tools that he needed to recover by a supportive doctor, while I was dismissed with medication by a quack, and it wasn't until 2 years ago that I discovered that self-help, CBT, counselling, and support networks were available, and that I wasn't actually a time-waster. Despite one or two setbacks on the road, I can assure you that with these tools, it gets better.

Don't get me wrong, I'd give my right arm to be able to drink a can of coke, a latte with an extra shot, or a cold beer now and then. Heck, even a warm beer! And my dentist friend still has to practice deep breathing when he's out shopping and nap pre-parties. But in the grand scheme of things, peace is more important than beer.

Hope all went well at the doctors today! And best of luck reclaiming the life that you want.

Kam

Thank you so much! Just knowing there's someone out there who feels the same way is a great help - as I'm sure you can imagine, despite wanting to be supportive, most of my friends don't really know what it feels like to have anxiety. My doctor has prescribed me amytriptyline for a month so I'm giving that a try and hopefully I'll feel better soon

Harrydig

Hi

I had anxiety at your age and I bought the claire weeks book self help for your nerves. Also someone posted this to me and it is bril it may help you

http://www.junior-anxiety-depression...l#HowToRecover

She makes a lot of sense

Cathy xx

welcome to the forum my first ever attack was at the age of 18 aswell so scary

Thread Information