Thread: Severe HVS?

Severe HVS?

Hello, I thought I'd post here at long last after having the site recommended to me to my mum. About 6 weeks ago, I hyperventilated and experienced palpitations after using the gym at home. It had been about a year since I exercised properly, so it's very possible that I did a little too much. Nevertheless, the aftermath was a terrifying experience and I felt awful for the remainder of the evening. I ended up going into A & E. After a blood test, an ECG scan and a 3D chest scan, they were suitable reassured about my heart, although they did refer me to the cardiology department to be on the safe side.

Due to the fact I've had several hyperventilation attacks since that night, I am now fairly certain that the rapid heart beats only come along after the onset of hyperventilation, so I am led to believe that it's a perfectly normal symptom for someone in that state and my heart is indeed fine.

So, my issue is this constant tendency to hyperventilate. It has gradually got worse and is now at the point where I can barely move around without my chest tightening and my breathing accelerating. To make matters worse, it is now beginning to make eating and drinking insurmountable. Simply put, I am finding it difficult to swallow due to the quick inhales and/or sudden deep breaths which I have no control over (I have had swallowing issues on and off since October of last year anyway, but now it's so much worse with these breathing issues).

It's 3:00 a.m. and I feel absolutely awful. All I have been able to consume all today is a Complan shake and half a cup of water. The HVS has been unbearable enough, but with no calories and dehydration added to the equation, I can't describe how I'm feeling right now. It's been bad enough recently with constantly feeling as though I'm about to pass out due to the over-breathing, being permanently dizzy, feeling very lethargic, short of breath, slightly blurred vision, struggling to think straight, struggling to sleep, and struggling to even walk from one room to another without having to fight off a hyperventilation attack. It's getting worse. In short, I'm housebound, in a constant state of suffering and am losing the will to live. I don't know what to do, nor how much more of this I can take. :(
    Last edited by DFM; 15-09-11 at 04:58.

Re: Severe HVS?

Hiya,

Ive been through similar where I felt constantly short of breath and was scared to eat incase I choked etc.

After many trips to the doctor ive found out that because I was inhaling so much my body didnt have enough CO2 which displaced my calcium levels causing all the side effects like the ones similar to what you have, shortness of breath/feeling dizzy/feeling as though my legs would give out.

I still experience it now when I think about it, and almost went to A+E yesterday after a bad episode, but for me personally ive found that just reading things on this site helps me. Failing that I whack on the music and sing as loud as I can or go and wash my car. Just anything that distracts me from thinking about it.

It has took so many trips to the doctor to convince me of this but it is true, no matter what your body will always get the oxygen it needs and if you pass out from over breathing then your breathing will naturally return to normal anyway.

Thread Information