Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to citalopram

New to citalopram

Hi all,

I've just been given a perscription for citalopram after struggling with anxiety for 18months, but after reading all the info and various threads on this site i am seriously concerned about side effects, particularly those that already appear as symptoms of my anxiety!
    My Dr only mentioned stomach pain and diarrhoea, i'm just interested as to what other peoples experiences have been?

Hannah

Re: New to citalopram

Don't worry, you can get no side effects at all (if you are lucky enough )! Even if there are some, it's nothing compared to the benefits from the medicine. It won't harm you so just take the pills regularly and you will soon feel better.

Id recommend taking 10mg for a wk thats if doc hasn't already told you too!! this is my second time on cit and side effects haven't been bad so far (im on day 7) just went up to 15mg today and going to 20 on wed, have had a dull headache for a few days, felt slightly sick for first 2 and had only slightly heightened anxiety, sometimes my heart feels like its really pounding but hey it did b4!! good luck
    nicola xx

Thanks guy - i'm feeling better already about taking it, i've been reminded that all the side effect guides etc on packaging are just warnings and of course not everyone will get them.
    I've been given 20mg and i'll keep some sort of diary of how I feel as this first week progresses!

I started on 20mg and had NO side affects. Take them with food, that's my tip! I also take mine between 6 pm and 9 pm.
    Don't get hung up on the side affects or you'll start looking for them.

I'm on 20mg as well and have also had no side effects apart from some occasional mild nausea which might even have been nothing to do with the pills.

As Yorkman said...try not to get hung up on what might happen. Although that's easier said than done I know.

I'm also on 20mg and only had some tiredness and headaches when starting them.

Quote Originally Posted by no_name View Post
    Don't worry, you can get no side effects at all (if you are lucky enough )! Even if there are some, it's nothing compared to the benefits from the medicine. It won't harm you so just take the pills regularly and you will soon feel better.
    Hi no_name

I have been following your journey on here I am struggling at the moment. as I came off cold turkey in march I had been on them for 6 months and ended up back to square one. the fist time i went on cit they worked great so great I came off them. I am back on them been on now 13 weeks. I feel they are taking longer to kick in but not sure. How long were you on them before you felt back to your old self?

Cathy xx

The time for kicking in is individual, but for most of the people 4-6 weeks is enough time. The first time i took Citalopram (8 years ago) i felt better after about 2 months or so (maybe even more, i don't remember well). The next 3 times it took 15 to 20 days to feel back to my old self, i guess the body "knew" the medicine so the time needed was less than the first time. Unfortunately half an year ago the illness hit me again although i had been taking 20mg for more than an year... Maybe Citalopram has stopped working for me so the Dr. switched me to Sertraline and i feel well for now (fingers crossed). I've had stopped taking Citalopram cold turkey too, but i haven't got any side effects, although such stopping is not recommended for sure.

HI no name

sorry that message i sent you was meant for someone else as you are not on citalopram I am glad you are finding your new drug helpful. good luck

Cathy xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information