Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weight gain?

weight gain?

Hi has anyone had experiences of weight gain whilst taking mirtazapine.

Im on 30mg at night, for approx 9 weeks now x

If I'm still breathing I know its not worth giving up

Re: weight gain?

When considering putting me on it for anxiety, my doc told me she prefers to try cipralex over mirtazapine as mirtazipine causes weight gain. She's had may complaints about it so always chooses a different AD as first line. I went with Cipralex and am very glad I did. Some weight gain on Cipralex but then again, I'm eating more than usual - especially carbs so no surprise.

Take care.

Hi! Wow where do I start....!

I started Mirtazapine around early June maybe mid May. I wrote a review of it on here actually, and I still stand by it! However, one thing I didn't know was the horrific side effect of weight gain!

In 4 months I have gained two, yes TWO stone. 28lbs!

Now I am obsessive about my weight, I had bulimia for years and it took a very long time to get over various issues I had with my size. Anyway I was a healthy weight and shape, a fair level of fitness etc before starting Mirtazapine. I know how my body works and how many calories I need to maintain it.

Nothing absolutely NOTHING changed in regards to my calorie intake or level of exercise yet my weight just wouldn't stop going up and up!

So in an attempt to control it (you get crazy hunger pangs that are hard to control, but I did!) I bought my calories down to 600 a day. YES 600! All made up of fiber, protien and very very little fat/carbs. And my weight stopped ncreasing, yet it wouldn't go down either!

It has been awful and I know it must be the mirtazapine because I am so regimented about food and exercise so I am 100% sure nothing in my eating habits changed.

Because of this I have been forced to come off it, the weight gain is just something I personally cannot live with because of my ropey history with food and nutrition, I can't risk it!

I have (wrongly or rightly) gone cold turkey as of last night and I don't have any nasty withdrawl symptoms as of yet.

I am actually very annoyed that A) I wasn't told about this by my GP considering my history and B) I didn't do more research ):

Hi,

I gained 2 stone as well but have managed to lose most of that...but am now only taking 7.5mg. I did find that I was alot more hungry when I started taking it and at that time found it very difficult to resist!!!

I also agree with Nicola alot of AD's do make you gain weight but mirtazipine is used sometimes to help people gain weight!!

I guess for me the positives of this med far out-weighed the negatives and one of those been the weight issue...I would much rather be a happy lump then someone who just does not want to get out of bed each day.

Jo.x

Hi,
    I gained about 1 1/2 stone on mirtazapine. I was a bit underweight to begin with because of anxiety and not looking after myself properly because of depression, so I think that was why my dr suggested this particular drug. At least when I mentioned I was worried about weight gain, he mumbled something about, 'well I'd hope so'.

I was on mirtazapine 30mg for nearly 6months. Now I'm tapering off (mirtazapine+CBT has done the trick to make me feel more stable), I'm at at 15mg every other night now. I think my normal weight is 6-10lbs lighter than I am at the moment, though I haven't noticed a decrease yet. I'm hoping I'll lose a bit of the weight once I'm off the pills entirely, and as easily as I put the weight on (dreaming on...).

Nice posting.
    I think healthy foods are very important for weight gain.
    Here i am going to show you some healthy foods which you
    could gain your maximum weight in a few days.
    1. Fresh fruits. 2. Mutton.
    3. Beef chicken and fishes. 4. Fresh vegetables.
    5. Pure milk or any shake
    Thanks.

ive been on it for well over a year and no weight gain, but then again i am suffering anorexia nervosa soo maybe thats why i was also prescribed this to see if it would cause a weight gain

Yes, I am with babikins and even in four days, no munchies and eating very healthily I could see a change in my body around my stomach. I asked my husband who is a down to earth guy with no issues and he said I looked like I had put on weight. Yikes! If you can handle the weight gain I am sure this is a great drug and it doesn't seem to cause weight gain for everyone. But I suspect it slows the metabolic rate or possibly alters the way in which our body stores food which is controlled by our liver.

I have stopped taking it as I am too sensitive to changes in weight and frankly I think my GP is a dunce for suggesting it to an ex bulimic.

Kate

I've gained 1.5 stone, I'm a bloke. The good thing is that not all of that is fat, my muscles have bulked out too. Now 13.5 stone and at 6'2" that's nothing to worry about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information