Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirtazapine nightmare! WEIGHT GAIN. Please read...

Re: Mirtazapine nightmare! WEIGHT GAIN. Please read...

I know where you are there! I gained a load of weight when I took it, so quickly that I actually got stretch marks on my belly, and the real salt in the wound was that mirtazapine didnt particularly help me :(

Thumbs down Re: Mirtazapine nightmare! WEIGHT GAIN. Please read...

Quote Originally Posted by Humly View Post
    Sorry but I think its a bit unfair to those of us who are scared and have just started on these meds. Everyone is different and it doesnt mean to say that everyone will put on loads of weight. To me getting rid of my anxiety is worth putting on a few extra pounds.

If you call being informed of the possibilities unfair, then I feel sorry for you....

I seemed to have reversed the weight problem. I have been taking mirtazapine 45mg for about four years now. Initially I piled on the weight. I came off mirtazapine and quickly lost the weight. Unfortunately I relapsed so went back on mirtazapine but this time did not pile on the weight. I control my weight by exercise and going to weight control classes. I have lost weight whilst on mirtazapine so it can be done and maintain a healthy weight. EJ

yeah i packed a load of weight on on mirtazapine and didnt find it much use other than for sleeping, but don't discount it, it works very well for some people

I have been takin mirt for only 4 days and I already feel me appetite increasing, so I thought I would look up the side effects. I was on flouox for a long time and after going through therapy and seeing my doctor on a more regular basis, it was decided that I should be weaned of my 60mg dose and started on a new anti depressant. I never had any side effects with flouox but I feel like a moanin old so and so when I can say I feel the effects of the mirt less that a wee into my course. I suffer already from vivid dreams which have me questioning my sanity when I wake and have done well to loose one stone in weight over 8 months, and I am petrified of putting on weight on mirt. So I guess I am questioning on wether my doctor has made the right choice by choosing mirt as my new medication!!!! I have tried many antid's over the years and I can seriousally say I don't know if I want to be on mirt. I guess a trip back to my gp is of the cards. God help me

Hey Claire, it's a real bother isn't it?!

I have been off the Mirt for a few days now and lost 6lbs! SIX whole pounds in a matter of days. My appetite is back down to where it was before (quite low) and I have bundles more energy. It's a shame because as far as my mood goes, mirt was unfaultable. It really helped me, but I was always so tired and hungry! Now back on reboxetine and feel amazing. Ask your GP about it my lovely. I have been on it before and it was like a miracle drug, I lost weight and felt great, but had to stop because I was having trouble sleeping. However, faced with the choice of being a healthy weight and not sleeping well OR being chubby and sleeping TOO much... I choose the first, reboxetine!

Oh bless thank you for replying to me. U may think I am crazy but I didn't take it last nite and I felt better today, didn't eat as much because the constant feeling of hunger wasn't there. Other people may think I am nuts, but I swear the feeling of constant hunger is horrible. Don't get me wrong I love my food but I don't want to end up the weight I was last year plus another tow or three stone on top. I will try to have a good chat with my doctor and put forward the other tablet unmentioned. I am glad I came across this site, as I find it hard to speak to my family about how I feel sometimes. Thanks x x x x yesyes:

You poor thing, I really hope it works out for you! I know it can be tough talking to family, I find it hard too. I always think if I'm not being strong and "stable" then I am letting them down, but of course in relaity I'm sure they would want me to rely on them for support! Ask your doctor about Reboxetine for sure, it's not prescribed very often and is more a 3rd or 4th line drug, meaning they practically try everything else first. Mirtazapine made me so sleepy and groggy all day and the constant HUNGER, my god it was unbearable, so being switched to reboxetine which stops hunger pangs all together and gives you lots more engergy has been such a god send. Heres a link with a bit of info on it http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Meds/Edronax

I hope you find some answers real soon! x

Hi there...i was on Mirtazapine for about 3 months and gained almost 2 stone, i just couldnt cope with the side effect of increased appetite so ive come off them, had my dose halve from 30mg to 15mg, then this last week ive come totally off them, ive been off them 7 days now, and feel better for it!...my appetite is more or less back to normal, i feel like ive actually lost some weight this week...i also started back at work after 18 weeks off due to the depression and anxiety, it has helped being back at work and chatting to everyone about why ive been off work...I'm feeling like its onwards and upwards from now on I also take propananol on a morning , which hopefully in a months time i'm going to be weaned off them as well .. So i agree with Babikins...this AD is a good one, but yet carries the bad increased appetite side effect

I actually think it's quite reasonable to want to come off Mirtazapine if you gain a lot of weight on it.

Quite apart from the aesthetic issue of weight gain - there are also the very real health ramifications ie diabetes and high blood pressure.

I've been on them about two months now and have experienced food cravings and gained a small amount of weight. This gain happened during the first two to three weeks and my weight has been steady ever since. I am finding the increased appetite quite challenging though, but for some this side effect does eventually go away. In fact I think it has decreased over the last 3 days or so... strangely this has coincided with a bit of a dip and I'm not sure if it's the mirt losing some of it's efficacy

Belle x

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information