Thread: Really Scared i have a Neurological Disease, please read! :(

Really Scared i have a Neurological Disease, please read! :(

Hey guys, hope all is well.

For the past 2 weeks, off and on I've been experiencing weird sensations on both my legs from the knee down. It's like my leg muscles feel tight and heavy and I fell like there's thing crawling on the inside and I feel as if I have to constantly stretch them. When I stretch them, the muscles crack and they start to twitch.

What also scares me is when I'm walking/standing I feel as if my legs are like jelly and it also freaks me out.

Plus on top of that, I also have muscle tension on both my arms, shoulders, neck, and upper chest. When I stretch these muscles they also crack and twitch as well.

I'm really scared guys. I haven't really been doing any type of exercise to cause these pains. I mean the only thing I can think of causing the tension on my shoulders, and chest is that I have a messenger bag(No, I'm not a girl) and I carry my laptop as well as books and maybe that causes the upper muscle tension.

But what about my legs? I'm scared it's a blood clot or some spinal disease. I really am terrified. Even when I'm sitting still I can't stop shaking my legs because I'm so nervous. I'm not diabetic cuz I had a blood test and Urine test only about 2 months ago and all was well. I'm not a girl so I don't get periods or I'm not going through menopause. I'm sorry to bring this all up but I tried looking for similar threads and I only see that women suffer from this.

Please is there anyone who feels like this. Can muscle tension be this bad?

Re: Really Scared i have a Neurological Disease, please read! :(

Hi Mark,

Ok...as far as a clot goes your symptoms and sensations do not sound to me like those of a clot. With a clot you have more of a swollen, painful, difficult-to-put-pressure-on-the-leg-involved scenario going on. The leg is usually discoloured too due to restricted blood flow. The fact your are able to lift and stretch would pretty much rule out a blood clot to me. (Please do bear in mind though, I am just going by my own experience of clots as a health worker, and I am not a doctor!)

Please also bear in mind that in terms of a clot, 2 weeks is a LONG time and by now things would be much worse for you if it were a clot. It just doesn't sound probable.

Do you spend a lot of time in one position or constricted in some way? Perhaps this is more muscular than anything circulatory? The twitches you describe may indicate nerve involvement, however this can be something as simple as an overworked nerve which just needs a bit of rest and TLC.

The sensations that you have when walking do sound to me more anxiety related - wobbly, jelly feeling legs. Perhaps mentally you are concerned about your leg sensations, therefore this leads to the jelly feeling in your legs. Anxiety is a strange thing and can provoke all kinds of troubling physical sensations. The muscle tensions in your upper body definitely sound anxiety related to me. When we are anxious we hold ourselves tightly, often without even realising we are doing it, until we experience the after effects such as the aches and pains.

Please try if you can not to be overly concerned about all of these things. Muscle tension can indeed be this bad. I experienced terrible pain in my upper left chest, shoulder blade and left arm last year. It went on for days and I was concerned that I had some cardiac problem, but I soon realised it was just the way I was positioned when sitting on my laptop for hours, and holding myself very tensely at the same time, and it resolved with the help of a heat pad after a day or two.

Hope this helps and kind regards.xx
    Last edited by debs71; 20-09-11 at 18:39.

Hey sorry to hear your feeling unwell, you story does sound familar to me I went through the neurological systems a few years ago. I struggled really badly with all over muscle twitching, cramping pain in legs also like burning skin sensation. I was convinced it was something really terrible I had a weeks off work was in a bad way.
    But something I've learned anxiety can cause all sorts of body symptoms, when your in constant anxious state the body works overtime this causes muscle tension throughout the body, hyperventilation/overbreathing can cause many muscles symptoms.
    Hope u take some comfort from this.

28 yrs ago I got a feeling in one leg as if it was a tuning fork that was being repeatedly hit every few minutes - a vibration plus my calf muscle twitched for weeks and weeks and I would also feel as if I had suddenly stepped into cold water or something was crawling up my leg.

I was rushed off to a consultant who said you do not have MS or any neuro disease have you been in a draught- then it suddenly dawned on me that a wek before all my symptoms started I had sat at an open air concert with a cold wind blowing on my legs - I had an irritated nerve

It took 4 months for the symptoms to go away all from a cold draught on my leg! I still don't have MS.

when i was 21 i had cramp in both legs everyday. thats when i started to suffer anxiety in the end they admitted me to hospital cause i think they thought i was going to end up suicidal cause i was pregnant and i started to get a whole range of symptoms to follow but these cramps were so weird they ended up up putting me on these tablets called quinne. they went after that and amother doctor told me to come off of them coz they were 4 old ppl???

a life lived in fear is a life half lived

Thanks so much to you all for taking the time to respond. I actually feel better just reading these responses. My legs have eased a lot since I've been home but my shoulders are killing me and yes I do have a tendency to concentrate on my symptoms which I'm sure does intensify the situation.

I do suffer from hyperventilation syndrome. I have since my anxiety and I have flare ups during high periods of anxiety.

But could hyperventilation syndrome cause muscle tension?

Thread Information