Thread: Help please! Dry Mouth/Throat

Help please! Dry Mouth/Throat

Hi Everyone,

I have had a dry mouth/throat (sometimes sounding dry when I talk until I swallow) for a week or so. I haven't really been anxious about anything so I don't believe that its to do with anxiety.

My Mum had thyroid cancer a few years back and now I am worried that I too, have this. Silly me googled and, well you know the rest.

I don't know what else could cause this? I have gotten myself into a big panic now. I have been drinking plenty of water so I am not dehydrated.
    ''I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me''
    ~Dr Seuss~

Re: Help please! Dry Mouth/Throat

Anyone? Please?
    ''I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me''
    ~Dr Seuss~

Hi there Samantha,

I've experienced a short period of dry mouth before where it seems to have been random. I got concerned, and then it went away. If you are diagnosed with anxiety in general (which I assume you are if you're on this forum!) it really could just be anxiety. It seems like we don't always have to be feeling anxious to experience the physical symptoms!
    If you are worrying about it, particularly because you have your Mum's experience on your mind, it really could be purely anxiety, and the vicious cycle of worrying about symptoms producing more of the same.
    I'd say if you are really worried get an appointment with your GP, or you could just give it a little longer and try not to concentrate on (or especially google!) it.

P.s I committed the sin of googling today also.. never good, is it! =/

Hope this helps somewhat and all the very best =)

Have you got a bunged up nose? It could be that you are breathing through your mouth and not realising it. I have got a bit of sinus problem and my mouth has been very dry. I find the good old standby of extra strong mints is best for getting rid of it, although it does keep happening. Hope this helps.

check to see if you have any whitey looking patches on the inside of your mouth that can be scratched off, or an unusually white tongue. If you do, it could be oral thrush. I had this from antibiotic use, and it makes your mouth and throat feel awfully dry x

Thanks a lot for your reassurance everyone. I have a doctors appt tomorrow to check with her.

I also sometimes feel like I can't swallow food down properly which I put down to my acid reflux (on meds for that) so I am hoping now it doesn't have to do with my thyroid etc.

Gosh I hate how we can go for months without worrying about something, and then something comes up and brings us crashing back down to our knees all over again.
    ~Dr Seuss~

Thread Information