Thread: Buspirone and job interview

Buspirone and job interview

Hi I'm new here and have a question I wonder if anyone can help me with.

I am taking Buspirone for anxiety and have a job interview next week. I would really like to get the job as I'm being made redundant from my old one so feel under pressure anyway.
    Aside from worrying myself half to death about the interview (feel sick all the time and shaky just thinking about it), a whole new worry has now occurred to me.
    I will have to put on the medical form that I am taking buspirone and that my last GP visit was for chronic anxiety - they may even want to see my medical records. My question is... will they not want to employ me because of this?

Sorry for the long post - if anyone can help with this I would really appreciate it.

Hi Sandi,

Unless it would affect your work performance or responsibilities, I can't imagine it should. It would be worse not putting it down, reflects badly. The real question really depends on what kind of job you're working on getting ...

Interview nerves are an issue for everyone, as is trying to keep them under control. Please try not to worry, go in there and show them why you should have the job. Its a normal person you'll be speaking to, so keep things in proportion in your head. I think there are many sites online with tips on controlling interview anxiety, try a search of Google and see what it comes up with, definately some good tips out there on the subject I remember reading.

Above all, remember this ... the apprehension is always worse than the event. Once you get there, you will find it within youself to go through with it and do really well ... I wish you the best of luck with the interview, let us know how you get on,

~ Ricardus

"Where is the honour, the courage and will? The ability to smile - confined to a pill"

It wont affect you at all, as you are from the UK you will find that chronic anxiety is classed as a disability under Section 18(1) of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 as amended by Section 1(1) of the Disability Discrimination Act 2005, so if asked please do declare the truth as when employers know that despite being ill that your willing to work it makes you look good, trust me i should know, good luck, that will be more unlikely to employ you if you lie to them or withhold information. Good luck.

Thank you so much for replying.
    I spoke to my GP today and he was very non-committal about the whole thing. I hoped he would say 'oh they won't worry about that', but he intimated that it may make a differnce to my application.
    Have spent the whole day in a sweat about it!

Am hoping to maybe play it down and say that it's just a temporary thing that anyone could have.

I think it certainly makes you uncomfortable about seeing your GP for anything like this though - you don't know how it will affect your employment prospects.

The job is in an academic institution by the way - I'm being made redundant by the NHS (like thousands of others)

Anyway - thanks for your kind words and concern. I really appreciate it

Re: Buspirone and job interview

employers do discriminate.if they have 50 applications for 1 post,then why take a risk on someone with a history of mental health problems.im sure all of us on here know that having mental health issues doesnt necessarily affect your ability to do the job,but its a chance employers arent willing to take.will be some exceptions,but i have experienced discrimination alot.same with convictions,shouldnt be discriminated against but try finding an employer willing to run the risk.

Thread Information