Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know there's something wrong with my heart....

I know there's something wrong with my heart....

.......but I daren't go to drs.

I know you're gonna think it's anxiety but I was doing some exercises last night (trying so hard since giving up smoking) my heart went up to over 200bpm so I stopped. It came down but I was kinda scared and stupidly went on a diff forum which is about heart and lungs and told them, they've all replied that 200+bpm is really bad and I should go to drs! So yes I googled how much heart rate should be on exercise and it's 220 minus ure age at the maxmimum but you shouldn't hit max, my max should be 166bpm on exercise! It does that sometimes with anxiety so how the hell is it only gonna do that when I'm exercising?

Any ex smokers here who have same problem?

How is it okay to get high heart rate with anxiety but not with exercising? I have suffered with anxiety for about 36 years, millions of panic attacks which would have taken my heart rate up a huge amount.

Am so scared now that I'm gonna drop down dead if I put one foot in front of the other!

Re: I know there's something wrong with my heart....

Don't google and read stuff that may not be true

Go and see doc and ask them

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

My resting heart rate is 110 & standing up takes it to 130. Simply walking for a few minutes gets it to hit 150 easily, and as you said, when I'm anxious it's unreal, today it was 180+ sat in my doctor's office. My heart is absolutely fine, I'm an ex smoker. It's incredibly common, as my cardiologist would tell you.

I'd suggest you get checked out by your GP to put your mind at rest, and start with very gentle exercise, or take a beta blocker. They needn't require long term treatment, a small dose of Propranolol an hour before exercising will slow your heart and still allow you to condition it with cardio and hopefully slow your resting heart rate to the point where you won't need the beta blockers any longer.

Beta blockers slow my heart to a pretty consistent 100bpm usually, and allow me to do cardio safely. I've already seen a 30bpm reduction in my HR in just under a year since quitting & exercising.

Give yourself some peace of mind. Get checked out.

Good luck!

why are you checking your heart rate anyway- that is always going to make u panic

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Elspeth
    If there was something wrong with your heart you wouldn't be able to excercise at all. you would pass out and be quite ill. It is probably to do with anxiety. Stop taking your pulse it is only feeding you worries. Dont ask Dr Google, there is always a scary story to be had online. Speak to your Dr and have your mind put at rest.
    xx

Dear Elsbeth,
    Take notice of what Mirabelle has said. If you go on a treadmill and go at a reasonable speed without passing out you should not have any concerns.
    If you feel ill or pass out then you have concerns.
    If you are worried please speak to your GP anyway to put your mind at rest
    xx

I woke up this morning to a BPM like that. I'm 26. But this has happened in the past, as far as 5 years ago and I've had my heart checked.

You know whats best. Just got an have a ECG and EKG, it will put your mind at rest. I know it's scarey. Mate, I had an anxiety attack whilst having the ECG and they was talking about keeping me in. I ran away. But after the echo, they told me my heart in in good shape.

It's probably related to poor health, something you ate/drank, anxiety. There are a number of reasons. But if you get checked out what's the worst that could happen?

If you do have a problem, at least it's spotted and you can work towards your health to ensure you minimize any risk factors. If you ignore it, and there is a problem, you will eventually end up in hospital with possible irreversible damage.

Now, that's not to scare you. Mate, I'm in your boat! I've been there and I'm there every day! But as long as you know your heart is sound, the worry is reduced.

Thanks for all the replies. I suppose I'll have to go to drs......or not exercise

Go to docs - the exercise is the only thing keeping my heart healthy at the moment Els

suggestion, start your exercise gently (in terms of days/week), if you havent done any for a while your body is going "yikes, this is new", so doesnt know exactly how it has to react. the more you exercise, the more your body 'learns' how much it needs to exert itself, and it'll stabilise and come down (as well as getting fitterer)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information