Thread: uncontrollable shaking

uncontrollable shaking

Hi All
    My partner had an episode of uncontrollable very violent shaking, I had tried to hold her down because she was shaking from head to toe but I couldnt stop it. Does anyone have any experience of this, she had not taken any benzo's and she had been eating reg all day . I'm sure it was just part of a panic attack but is this usual, or should we go to the quack and ask for a brain scan or somthing.
    Thanks
    Ian

Re: uncontrollable shaking

Hi
    I get this too..it comes without a racing heart and sometimes I am sick. I think it is adrenaline.when i told my cbt therapist that my heart wasn't racing when this happened he said " oh I think it was " not v helpful!!
    I've found I can control it a bit now by trying to relax,breathe,and not panic..but it's hard not to panic I know.
    It would be good to know if anyone else has this too..it is worse for me in the mornings.
    If you do go to the docs I'd be interested to know the outcome
    X

If I'm having a full on panic attack I shake so much it probably looks to someone else like I'm having a fit. I think it's the adrenaline and bad thoughts and I can sometimes stop it a little bit by saying stop - sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. The reason I think it's adrenaline is because if I'm driving down the motorway or something else I absolutely dread, my teeth start chattering as if I'm cold even if I'm not. It's not harmful to her if that's any help to you

One thing you can do, is have her sit down, then sit behind her and wrap your arms around her until she stops.
    Another thing is to try and warm her, maybe wrap her in a blanket.

Or just talk calmly to her and wait it out.
    Try and distract her from how she is feeling by asking her random questions or getting her to count down from a 100 with you.

There is also a thing called tapping which I find at times helpful, if you search on youtube you should find a video on how to do it.

She would know if the shaking is caused by panic because once she calms down it would stop.
    Some medication can also cause shaking but she should be able to tell because it "feels" different.

Thread Information