Thread: New member - depression, OCD & tooilet phobia

New member - depression, OCD & tooilet phobia

Hi, everyone

I've been browsing this forum recently and liked how supportive you all are so I thought I'd join. I was first diagnosed with depressive illness in January 1995 and, thanks to two excellent GP's, I have managed to keep it under control with SSRI's - I started with Seroxat, then a few years ago switched to Citalopram. My depression is definitely linked to the weather so I can usually change to half dose from around March until September. I also have two light boxes and a dawn simulator alarm clock, which is great. Fortunately, I managed to maintain my career (I'm now semi retired) and apart from a 5 month sickness absence in 1996, was able to keep things going. Back in the early 1980's, I started suffering from OCD - compulsive checking - and although this is a lot better these days, I am still struggling with it. Around the same time, I also developed a 'toilet phobia', which I reckon was triggered by an incident whilst commuting into London for my job. My husband and I had just returned from a holiday in Tunisia and my stomach wasn't back to normal. We were just entering Victoria station and I felt this sensation in my bowels and knew I only had a couple of minutes to get to the loo. I made it in time, but was still shaking when I got into work. This toilet phobia has recurred a number of times over the years and during the past year I've had two panicky episodes, so it is the main thing I'm battling at the moment. I will post a separate message on the specific thread. If there is anything I can help with , let me know.

Hi beachbabe

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Re: New member - depression, OCD & tooilet phobia

Hi and welcome to NMP

Paige x

Thread Information