Thread: anyone out there on amitriptyline

anyone out there on amitriptyline

hi new to this forum been suffering bad anxiety and depression for over 10 years now was put on amitriptyline for the last 2 years its been one of the worst meds i have ever been on tried a few times to get off them but i start with bad withdrawls then im back on them again did not take one last night feel awful today im on 50mg tried to lower the dose but still have to go back to 50mg dont think doctors have much idea as to how these meds are going to effect you if only i knew would not have taken it made me worse iv put a lot of weight on and feel drowzy most of the day theyv done everything but lifted my mood is thereanyone whos had the same problem

Hi bonney

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Re: anyone out there on amitriptyline

thnx diane

a big hug to you. so sorry you are going through such a trial with that medicine. You help others by speaking up. Thank you for letting us know about that med. I think the best therapy is cognitive behaviour therapy. I wish i knew a good therapist near me.
    I hope you can get help getting off the medicine. Would they be able to hospitalize you and bring you off the medicine while treating the withdrawel symptoms.
    I will keep you in my prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Annierose View Post
    a big hug to you. so sorry you are going through such a trial with that medicine. You help others by speaking up. Thank you for letting us know about that med. I think the best therapy is cognitive behaviour therapy. I wish i knew a good therapist near me.
    I hope you can get help getting off the medicine. Would they be able to hospitalize you and bring you off the medicine while treating the withdrawel symptoms.
    I will keep you in my prayers.
    thank you for your reply i have not taken one for 3 nights now dont feel too good but im going to try and stick to it i know i should ween off them but i still had the same withdrawl when i redused the tablet i would advise people not to take this med its so hard to get off it iv had antidepressants in the past and come off them without any problems pharmacey told me yesturday it should take about a week to come out of my system i did not know you could be hospitalised while coming off the tablets it does sound a good thing though thnx so much for your concern ill keep you updated take care

Thanks for speaking up about Amitrip...I am also prescribed them, 50mg with a view to increasing...!

Previous experience has told me not to take them..so I'm not, my GP tried to explain they would help my spine pain, I had already told him I didn't want medication for the pains I have as any tablets don't work for me, I have previously been on Amitrip for depression too.

I have a friend who I'm almost certain is taking these for depression etc, I will now tell her to stop them, she doesn't usually listen to me but I will try, I don't think they are helping her either.

Hope you can beat the withdrawal problem.
    J.

thnx for your reply i would advise people not to take this drug the problem is coming off them i know not every body is the same im going by my own experience iv been on them 2 and a half years iv put 2 stone on never been over weight craving for sweet things all the time feeling drowzy most of the day i know they have not done any good for me and never thought id have such a bad time coming off them im onto day 5 now without any still feel crap hoping they should be out of my system soon thnx again take care

Bonney
    I am new to this forum[any forum] too. My GP has suggested that I take amytriptyline[sorry about spelling] as I have problems sleeping due to chronic pain. Other then weight gain what other side effect have you experienced? What symptoms have you experienced trying to stop taking them. Good luck
    Rue52

hi rue i can say they do help with sleep there is a sedetive affect in them the mornings are the worst for me had to drag myself out of bed i had a lot of bad dreams food cravings sweet things i said in my last comment i have put 2 stone on it is over 3 stone could not motivate myself most of the time i thought after being on them for all that time they would have helped lift the depression but did not help it in any way the withdrawls are similar to some of the side affects nausea headaches decreased apetite feeling drained like flue sort of symptoms sweating theyr the ones i have noticed may not happen to everyone but im going by my experience ill be on day 6 without one i did read some time ago on a web site from a comment that amitriptyline was as bad as coming off heroin i suppose this drug has helped people with sleep and pain but i do think its addictive hope this as lelped take care

Thread Information