Thread: Restarting Cipralex

Restarting Cipralex

Hi guys,

I was on Cipralex for anxiety since end of 2004. I'd tried to go off in 2006, but went off too quickly and ended up back on them. Had a rough few weeks going back on.

About 3 years ago I started tapering much more slowly. I was down to 1mg for the last 4-5 months and have now been off for 6 months.

Last 4-5 weeks have had bad anxiety (have not been at work). Doc gave me propranolol. Started on 40mg, then 80mg and now 120mg.

One of the options they gave me was to go back on the cipralex. I just had a few questions as it's been so long since I went on:

1) How long did the initial side effects last for? They were about 2-3 weeks from memory, and pretty bad. When I reinstated in 2006 they gave me diazepam 2mg x 3 times/day, propanolol 20mg x 4 times/day and stillnoct 10mg for sleep to get through the initial symptoms.

2) How long until you felt able to get back to working?

3) Has anyone gone on Cipralex after being off them for 6 months or more? Or being off another AD for that long and then starting on cipralex? How was your experience going on it?

Thanks
    Potsie

Re: Restarting Cipralex

Hi,

I have been on and off Cipralex many times in an 8 year period. I'm currently off them and have been for 3 months.

I actually found that restarting the meds the second time around was less severe in terms of side effects and time it took to feel better. I think it took around 2 weeks to feel better, and I just felt a bit edgy and spaced out when restarting them, but certainly not as bad as the first time I started them. I restarted them quite soon after stopping them though that time. However, I had been off meds for around 10 months when I had to restart them in October 09, and again, I found the side effects not so bad. It is good that you were given other meds to help you through it though. I didn't have anything, but I was having counselling which helped me a lot.

I do think that when you first start them you are so unprepared for how you are going to feel so it is a shock to the system and the mind, and very scary, whereas when you have been on them before and suffered the side effects, you can be a bit more mentally resigned to how you will feel at first which does help, at least for me it did.

I just told myself I had got through it before and I will this time.

I can't advise about work really I'm afraid as when I restarted in Oct 09 I resigned from my job as a nurse to look for other less stressful work once I was well and am still looking, but I would say that I felt up to seeking and starting work again after a month or two of restarting the meds overall. I do think that is very subjective though, as everyone is different, and it just depends how you feel as an individual about that.

Hope this helps and wishing you lots of luck and that you feel better soon.xx

Quote Originally Posted by debs71 View Post
    Hi,

I have been on and off Cipralex many times in an 8 year period. I'm currently off them and have been for 3 months.

I actually found that restarting the meds the second time around was less severe in terms of side effects and time it took to feel better. I think it took around 2 weeks to feel better, and I just felt a bit edgy and spaced out when restarting them, but certainly not as bad as the first time I started them. I restarted them quite soon after stopping them though that time. However, I had been off meds for around 10 months when I had to restart them in October 09, and again, I found the side effects not so bad. It is good that you were given other meds to help you through it though. I didn't have anything, but I was having counselling which helped me a lot.

I do think that when you first start them you are so unprepared for how you are going to feel so it is a shock to the system and the mind, and very scary, whereas when you have been on them before and suffered the side effects, you can be a bit more mentally resigned to how you will feel at first which does help, at least for me it did.

I just told myself I had got through it before and I will this time.

I can't advise about work really I'm afraid as when I restarted in Oct 09 I resigned from my job as a nurse to look for other less stressful work once I was well and am still looking, but I would say that I felt up to seeking and starting work again after a month or two of restarting the meds overall. I do think that is very subjective though, as everyone is different, and it just depends how you feel as an individual about that.

Hope this helps and wishing you lots of luck and that you feel better soon.xx
    Thanks for the reply Deb

So you have been looking for work for 2 years? What sort of work are you looking for?

What dose did you start at in October '09? Sounds like it made you feel better, was that for anxiety or depression?

Has anyone else restarted Cipralex?

Thanks,

I restarted them about 2 yrs ago and it took about 2 weeks to get good.
    I took 2 x 5mg Diazepam with em.
    Been off about 18 months now and not going back on
    Phill

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill2 View Post
    I restarted them about 2 yrs ago and it took about 2 weeks to get good.
    I took 2 x 5mg Diazepam with em.
    Been off about 18 months now and not going back on
    Phill
    Hey Phill2,

Did you take zantac or losec with your cipralex and diazepam?

I'm taking zantac 75 twice a day and wondering whether I'll have to stop to be able to take cipralex/diazepam.

Last time when I was taking them, I was on Losec. But not sure if you're supposed to take that with cipralex or diazepam.

Thanks
    Potsie

Hi Postie
    I take 300mg Rani which is just another name for Zantac without any probs.
    Phill

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Thread Information