Thread: General anaesthetic - too scared

General anaesthetic - too scared

I've got to get a GA soon (the 17th). I've asked for a local but my GP was shocked that I'd even ask, as it's for a labiaplasty and cystoscopy.

I've pretty much decided that I don't want a GA at all. I can't get it out of my head, I can't stop crying and worrying and what-ifing. I've googled and googled for hours and have found out all sorts of ridiculous things that I didn't need to know, about intubation and different drugs and the effects. Do you have to be intubated for every anaesthetic - that's the part that seems most scary/most likely to go wrong? I read about a completely healthy woman who couldn't be intubated and died.

I'm not seeing the anaesthetic nurse til the 14th for a pre assessment but I am so frightened, I keep thinking something will go wrong and even if I relax then something will go wrong out of irony? I'm driving myself slowly mad and can't get this out of my head. I haven't felt anxious like this in ages.

It doesn't help that I am overweight (obese), have palpitations and am not very physically fit. Scared.
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

Re: General anaesthetic - too scared

Hi Daisycake,

Yes, you do need to be intubated for any GA as the anaesthetic depresses the respiratory system, so assistance to breathe is needed I'm afraid.

Please do try not to get too anxious about the thought of a GA, though I know that is hard. Yes, there is always a risk with any GA and any anaesthetist or doctor will tell you that, because they have to so you are fully aware when signing the consent form..BUT..think about the millions of people every year who undergo a GA and are perfectly fine. Complications in the great scheme of things are still very, very rare. In the 12 years I nursed I never, ever nursed any patient who had any problem having a GA and being intubated.

Another thing to mention is that do tell the nurse who you are due to have your pre op assessment with about your fear and anxiety. She/He will make note of this and recommend a pre med for you which will calm you before the op. (if you so desire one. They are very good)

Try if you can to stop all the 'what ifs' as the chances of a complication are slim whereas the chance that your 'what ifs' WON'T happen are far, far greater.

Discuss ALL of your fear with the nurse you see, and don't be fobbed off if they are trying to rush through your assessment. You are the patient, and you have every right to express your fears and have your concerns answered.

Also....do please stop the googling as it will only make you feel worse. That thing about the lady who died is a one in a trillion thing which is why you found it easily on the internet. Those things simply do not happen every day.

Take care hun.xxx

Hi, first STOP GOOGLING!
    Next, I have had over 10 operations during my life and GA has not been a problem. Once the needle goes in, it works in seconds and before you know it you're awake again. Debs is right, the chance of any complication is minute.

Thank you both of you My GP said the same thing, that she has had GAs tonnes of times and never worries about them. I think I am just going daft lol, especially since I still have two weeks to go!

I read all the usual things like it's more risky to cross the road, and things like that, and I'm desperately trying to reassure myself. I have read the most daft medical things about intubation though and that's probably what I really did not need to know.

I remember my sister had an anaesthetic though for her adenoids in January and she was in and out of theatre within 40 mins so I am hoping/praying that mine will be like that too.

Are you allowed to take others into the anaesthetic room as well, can I take my mum with me so that I can hold her hand or is that silly?
    - What you fear in your head is not always true -
    I may take some time to reply to PMs/Messages but I will do it eventually, promise

Daisy I would like to offer you a hug. I understand your anxiety and having had several GAs there worst thing for me was coming round and realising it was all over! I'm not sure whether your Mum will be allowed in the anaesthetic room. It will be over and done with very quickly. EJ.

Quote Originally Posted by daisycake View Post
    Thank you both of you My GP said the same thing, that she has had GAs tonnes of times and never worries about them. I think I am just going daft lol, especially since I still have two weeks to go!

I read all the usual things like it's more risky to cross the road, and things like that, and I'm desperately trying to reassure myself. I have read the most daft medical things about intubation though and that's probably what I really did not need to know.

I remember my sister had an anaesthetic though for her adenoids in January and she was in and out of theatre within 40 mins so I am hoping/praying that mine will be like that too.

Are you allowed to take others into the anaesthetic room as well, can I take my mum with me so that I can hold her hand or is that silly?
    Well, I worked in the children's unit and 1 parent was always allowed to go into the anaesthetic room with their child until they went to sleep, but whether that is permissable in adult care I don't know hun, but I cannot see any reason why if you say you are a nervous patient. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that IMO.

If they do let your Mum in she will be all gowned up and go into the anti room with you where they administer the anaesthetic, and once you are asleep she will leave usually with the nurse who accompanies you.

As soon as you are admitted on the day of your procedure ask the nurses straight away, and also the anaesthetist when he/she comes to see you (they usually see you on the ward before the op to ask you questions about your general health, allergies, etc and talk a bit about the op)

xxxx

If it helps my friend has a BMI of 45, she has been under GA a few times and was ok.
    I was under twice as a child, I do remember going under, it's like closing your eyes and waking up really sleepy.
    I was also shaking really bad before I went under and the nurses kept asking if I was cold lol.
    I'm scared too have to have a GA to get my wisdom teeth out.
    As scary as it is I remember it's never as bad as what I have made up in my head x

I've had GA a couple of times, the heaviest for a tonsillectomy.... I don't recall much, just them injecting it and falling asleep immediately then waking up really really drousy, and slowly feeling the pain of my throat (from having had my tonsils out).

Like other people have said, instead of thinking of the very few people who've had problems, think of the many millions of people who've not... .the odd are really in your favour for it all to be successful.

* A journey of a thousand miles begins with one single footstep *

* The only constant in life, is change *

Thread Information