Thread: Question for anybody who has used these meds

Question for anybody who has used these meds

Hi, I currently am not on any anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medications, but lately my anxiety has been so bad that I may ask my doctor about them. Is there anything that I should know about them, side effects, etc? My sisters are both on quite a few since my mom passed away, and even some before that. It definitely runs in our family. I always thought I was ok, I mean I had the anxiety problems but I was able to manage. Recently though I have not been able to really turn my brain off even with counseling and actively trying hard. I know you guys aren't the same as my doctor, so I will discuss with her, but just wondering if medications have been helpful?

Re: Question for anybody who has used these meds

hmm this is interesting because I see you're from America so I'm not sure if the drugs are different over there. Most anti anxiety/depression meds have side effects but mild ones that pass within a few weeks in most people.
    I'd definitley say natural/therapy solutions are best because you don't have to think about side effects BUT what you have to ask yourself is will therapy like CBT be do-able for you when you're so anxious? the best therapy for anxiety is cognitive behavioural therapy which basically is about confronting anxiety to the point where it starts to ease and you accept that anxiet does reduce with time. Of course this is anxiety producing so maybe you are at a point where you couldn't face that without medication.
    So it's definitley worth going to your Dr and talking through meds that might be useful and possible side effects but also about therapy, and from their decide how you want to go ahead
    best wishes
    x

Hi,

Bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban) is meant to be an effective anti-depressant with less side effects than your typical SSRI's. In America it is available on prescription as an anti-depressant whereas over in the UK it's only available as an anti-smoking aid :(

Unfortunately, they all have side effects to a certain degree and it's just a case of finding one that help you feel better and has a level of side effects that you can live with. I've been on several AD's on and off over the past ten years and still haven't found one that does the job & doesn't cause too many uncomfortable side effects but I've had friends who have taken to the first one they've tried with little to no issues.

Unfortunately it's a bit trial and error :(

Hi I have been on Zoloft and Ativan (as needed) for 12 weeks now for anxiety and panic attacks. The 1st couple of weeks were rough, but then I started to feel better. I can tell you though that I am switching to Lexapro because now my a/p is returning. My doc wants me to try Lexapro. The Ativan helps a lot, but I don't want to depend on it! It seems to be a bit of trail and error, but I think there is something that will work for all of us. It's exhausting really, I just want to feel good again

Right now i am on Mirtazapine 90mg at night.

Clonazepam 2mg during the day, for my anxiety and Panic Disorder.

This are prescribed by my Psychiatrist.

Efexor-xr 300mg , prescribed by my Neurologist, as a preventative medication for chronic headache. But my GP tried me on Lyrica, and gave me sample packs.

Tramadol SR, to abort the headache.

So, my GP works together with my Psychiatrist and my Neurologist.

Thread Information