Thread: Found a lump on my skull, been lightheaded for months..really worried

Found a lump on my skull, been lightheaded for months..really worried

Hi,

I've just discovered a lump (size of a knuckle) on the top of my skull, not sure how long it's been there. It's hard like bone and doesn't move. It doesn't really hurt unless I keep pressing it.

I was wondering if this has anything to do with the dizzy/lightheaded feeling I've been experiencing since February? I've already had an MRI scan back in March which showed a clear result. I'm not sure if the lump was there before the scan though or not.

I've been diagnosed with a posterior vitreous detachment in my eye, as I've been having a lot of floaters which started my anxiety off. The dizziness came on after my eye problem. Could this be related or not?

I'm not sure what to do, could it be something serious all this time? The doctors keep saying anxiety, I've had blood tests etc. This constant lightheaded feeling is always present, sometimes easier at night time. It's taken over my life, when I go into town I feel so lightheaded and strange. It's put me off going outside. I guess I'm worried I have cancer or a tumour of some kind. I sometimes get mild headaches too, like tension ones.

Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks guys, you've really helped me in the past rationalise things. I've tried to get on in life, but it's so hard. I've even had CBT sessions with a therapist, but the lightheadedness still persists.

I'm 29 by the way.

Carl
    Last edited by carlos2011; 04-10-11 at 11:26.

Re: Found a lump on my skull, been lightheaded for months..really worried

People get these all the time, they are just hard lumps between the skull and your skin, and are nothing to worry about. If you have had an MRI scan and the doctors say it was clear, I dont think you have anything to be concerned about.

hi carl first of all nice to meet you im amanda , if i was you i would go back to your gp and get it checked out , i know wat you mean wen you say about the light headedness n dizzyness i have that all the time myself due to my anxiety n panic attacks , i know its easier said than done not to worry but plz go n get checked out by ur gp ,

Thanks. I've been to the doc a few times with my symptoms, they just keep saying anxiety. I've never mentioned this lump before though. Like I said the MRI was clear, but that was a few months ago. I wouldn't say the symptoms have got worse..just the same.

Thanks for your help. I do get fed up of going back to the doc's, I get embarrassed that they think I'm making this stuff up.

I get a lot of little lumps on my skull that are actually muscle spasm/knots. Sometimes they can be hard enough that I truly thought it was a growth until my chiropractor told me otherwise. I usually just massage them out, sometimes with the really bad ones it can take a week or so until it's down. Ibuprofin also helps shrink them up if that is what you have. Sometimes - and I assume it is because of the pull the muscles have around your skull - I do get dizzy when they are really bad/tight.

Does this sound like it could be what you have?

Thanks swgrl09. I'm not sure how long i've had this lump, the back of my head has a couple of lumps too, but I think they are the kind everyone has. I might of always had it, but because of my symptoms I guess I'm scanning my body for unusual things. I wish I could stop worrying.

It feels hard like bone, it's not a tiny lump, it's like half a marble sticking out of head (best way I can describe it). I wouldn't worry if I didn't have this lightheaded feeling and eye floaters..I've been like this for many months now. I've never had black outs or fainted, been sick etc.

Anyone got any more advice or experience on this topic?

I'm making myself bad with worry, I can't get into the doctor I want to see until next Tuesday. I keep thinking I've got cancer or something now..

The muscle knots I get have been marble sized before and pretty hard. Usually I get them on the base of my skull in the back, and sometimes up higher when they start to spread upwards. Let us know what the dr thinks, but I wouldn't be worried!

Thanks, I guess all I can do is wait and try not to worry. Yeah mine is on the top of my head, slightly to the right hand side. Thanks for replying, I'm freaking out a bit as I've been feeling this way for months now.

Hi, this is a long time after you posted that problem. But i was wondering if you could share what your bump was diagnosed to be? I have the exact same marble sized bump on the top of my skull, slightly to the right side. Thanks.

Thread Information