Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Citalopram today, slightly anxious... any advice?

Starting Citalopram today, slightly anxious... any advice?

First off I hope this isn't too long for you to read, so I have no problems with anyone skim reading or just reading the bottom.

In April 2010 I had my first Panic Attack, by far one of the worst experiences in my life, I thought I was dieing and actually collapsed paralyzed by fear for a minute or two, not to mention I was high on Cannabis at the time and was smoking daily. - Don't do it, Probably the main cause of my issues.

Needless to say I have not been the same since, I have been on edge for over a year now and it's been a tough couple of years. My girlfriend has been in and out of hospital this year after a severe case of pneumonia, currently in hospital for being underweight. I have lost a ton of 'friends' and seeing them around makes me so nervous. My dad attempted to commit suicide two years ago, the whole family was in agony over it, and lack of money and so on, but is finally doing well for himself and has a job now, my Mum had a near meltdown over her own anxiety and was highly depressed (also glad to say she is much better now) and I just missed my Uni place by a grade. I haven't given up though and I'm doing one more year at college.

My symptoms were horrible after my panic attack, I was so afraid of having another one that I was causing more panic. I had twitches that shot adrenaline through me, dizziness and out of body experiences that made me **** myself (not literally), tingling sensations in my limbs and an extreme lack of self confiidence and self esteem. From then I have made improvements, and I can cope with panic attacks to the degree that I'm not losing control of my body. Breathing Techniques are also helping me with this.
    My depression ( mainly I think as a result of my anxiety ), has been on and off and I have hit rock bottom and come out stronger. Though my sleeping is still atrocious and I feel like I've been working out at the gym everyday.

I am now at the point where I can feel myself going down again and I am so sick of coping by myself and thinking so damn stupidly (negative and unreasonable thinking), sick of overanalyzing social situations to the point of panic attack, sick of worrying about how I'm getting on the bus and how I look getting off it, that I'm ready to face my own fears of acceptance, and went to the doctors yesterday, something I put off for a while.

My doctor perscribed me with 10mg doses of Citalopram which I have just picked up. I am rather anxious about the side effects but I do realise that I probably have experienced most of them before because of anxiety too. Tonight, after my dinner I will take my first dose. I've also been refferred for CBT, which I think is most necessary, I feel I need to change my thought processes. Anyone have any ideas how long that will take?

I really appreciate anyone who decides to take the time and read this, sometimes I feel like I bore everyone I explain it to.

Re: Starting Citalopram today, slightly anxious... any advice?

You wont bore anyone here mate coz we're all in the same boat
    10mg of Citalopram is a tiny dose for a man so side effects should'nt be too bad. Your GP will more than likely increase it over a few weeks, some folks call this the Citalopram Ladder. I started off with 20 about 6-7 weeks ago and built it up to 40 and touch wood (cofee table) feel so much better and more confident for it, that I'll be back at work on the 17th of this month albeit a phased return.
    Go for it!
    WW

Totally agree, you won't bore any if us. It's a tough situation to be in but you've taken the first step by getting help
    Some people experience no SEs at all and maybe you'll be one if the lucky ones even if you do get them just keep telling yourself it's the ness going into your system and it will pass. Having said this the SEs can be quite a nuisance but really worth it in the end.

Anything you're worried about just post in here, we've all been through it, good luck

My advice for Citalopram (and any other medication like it) is not to fret too much over the side effects. Although there are a lot of posts here about them, not everyone gets them, and you're on a fairly low starting dose. It could take some time to settle on them and in the short term you might feel a little rough, but these things take a little while to get into your system and get working.

It sounds like you have been through an unbelievable bad period in your life so hopefully this is the first stage to getting better.

When I was in my 20's I was a daily smoker of Cannabis too - if it's any encouragement to you, there is life after Cannabis (and it certainly screwed me over too, thanks to the long term effects of it).

Hi I am so new here, and in UK also. so you may kindly have to excuse my language.
    to cut story short, Ive been having anxiety symptoms for almost 2 years now. Just exactly after few panic attacks I had when I smoked weed, those that where never there in the 5 years I was so in love with the Herb.
    however, I eventually quit and start drinking more. unfortunately, in the last few months I started to experience the worst hangovers (in terms of anxiety) the day after I even have one pint of beer.
    I am afraid to go out unless for necessities, I feel like Iam 80 years old awaiting my time to come and I am lacking some words like Confidence, Joy and Safety.
    Today I went to the GP and described what I have for the first time, he prescribed me Citalopram 20mg daily.
    I took my first tablet at 11:30 am, I thought I was gna feel high or sleepy at most but just an hour later I felt so bad. the bad thing that I was out in Oxford centre so the blep (as you guys call it) was a bit difficult to control. I felt dizzy, weak, nauseated and fearful. I had to cut my plans and go back home, I was feeling quite better on the doorstep.
    its now 1:00 am at night still dont feel like sleep, the day went quiet as i stayed indoors apart from some bloating and dizzy spells. I just wondered that shoud I commit myself to this cit ups/downs journey that no body knows how long would it take, or should I just bail out and try harder on non-medical therapies??
    I also think that I should reduce it to 10mg, if I am to continue.

I need to talk to someone about this cuz I am not feeling like telling my social circle.
    A diary style would be nice I guess. Good luck Hayden

Thanks for the taking the time to read and reply to my post everyone.

So, I took tablet 2 a few hours ago, and today has been difficult but I'm glad that I'm not really getting any real bad side effects though I am feeling ridiculously tired and drugged up. Other than that I'm having some jaw clenching and as a result slightly sore temples but I think I'm coping, had a panic attack earlier but it is the norm for me, don't think it was the tablet.

Sunjak, my side effects have been quite a nuisance but I went to college and did 4 hours worth of lessons and went to see my girlfriend today so though they were definitely present, they were not unbearable. - I think that you should try one more day on the 20mg maybe and grin and bear it but if they are that bad then I think you should see your doctor about reducing it? (not that I would know, don't take my advice too seriously, maybe someone else could clear that up for you?).

I've also noticed the worst feelings can come in waves but they pass for me in about 30-40 minutes so I can deal with it.

Glad to hear you're sticking with it and coping with the SEs

A lot of people can find starting at 20mg a bit unbearable, I would speak to your GP about reducing to 10mg until it settles into your system, that's how I done it

Thanks, Vicki! Do you mind telling me about how you have dealt/are dealing with anxiety and citalopram yourself?

It's a few hours after tablet 3 and I feel quite rough but I had a really good night sleep last night. I can certainly understand why people can not handle 20mg to start off.

How are things going Sunjak?

Not such a great night sleep yesterday and a pretty rough day due to a pretty horrible headache so took the day off. Hoping the headache will be gone by tomorrow and I'll be able to cope then Still braving it and would highly reccomend the Citalapram Survival Guide for those moments of anxiety with the side effects, calmed my mind last night while I felt agitated, rough and upset.

Yeah sure, I've suffered with anxiety for years now, I've taken various types of medication for it as I found I just can't cope with it on my own. Until recently I had been on diazepam for a few years which worked really well for a while then it just stopped working altogether :( I went back to my GP who then started me on 10mg of citalopram... I remember the first couple if weeks being pretty horrific with the SEs, the increased anxiety, headaches and lack if sleep were the worst imo. I think it was around 2 weeks after that that the SEs began to slowly settle down and I started feeling a bit more like myself, however my doc decided that now I wad settled on cit it was time to reduce the diazepam :(

I started off really well (I was on 13mg a day) although once I got down to about 10mg I felt terrible again, so I upped the cit to 20mg I'm still on 20mg and down to 5mg of Diaz, I have good days and bad days but I don't want to increase cit anymore just now as I can't tell whether it's my anxiety or the diazepam withdrawals that's making me feel like this.

I'm taking each day a step at a time and try not to have too many expectations of myself and once I'm off the Diaz completely I'll see how i am with the 20mg of cit, if I need to increase again then I will.

Sorry for the long explanation lol, just stick with it, remember the SEs will pass (I have none now apart from the odd headache which I got with anxiety anyway) and don't push yourself too much, you will get there x
    Last edited by VickiS; 07-10-11 at 22:18.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information