Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New self diagnosis now!!!!

New self diagnosis now!!!!

Couldn't sleep all last night as I now think I have chronic pancreatis. Have had annoying pain under right rib on and off for 4 years (have posted before) - had endoscopy 4 years ago, ultrasound scans, liver blood tests and all normal. Have been back to Doc who is referring me a third time to a Gastro person at different hopsital. Reason I think it might be pancreas is because, guess what I googled "persistent diarhrea" and that's what came up! I know I shouldn't but this pain is driving me nuts, I am burping all the time and have constant gripes. I only go to the loo once, occasionally twice a day (sorry for detail) and have to get there quick! Sometimes the pain is in the middle of stomach or between shoulder blades and in back and I have woken a couple of times in the night with severe pain throughout my abdomen. Last consultant suggested musculo-skeletal but would that give me digestive problems as well or is that my health anxiety out of control??
    I do enjoy my glasses of wine and have probably had a few over the last 10 years -husband says I have not drunk enough to warrant pancreatis. Such a nightmare - Please help - does anyone else have similar pain/symptons?
    PS - Am also due to go to Chronic Pain clinic this afternoon as previous consultant and GP referred me - just feel it might be a waste of time and that they need to get to the bottom of the cause?

Re: New self diagnosis now!!!!

Hi
    thought I d answer this as I had similar 2 years ago same symptoms as you and it turn out to be indigestion.I had awful pain under right rib. burped alot and could nt finish a meal. I had all the test done-negative. I now take omeprazole daily but still get occassional bouts-drinking white wine makes mine worse-hope this helps x

Hi,

My sister had pain undeneath her left ribs for weeks a few months ago, which also would wake her at night and be uncomfortable when turning over in bed. She is the strongest person in the world when it comes to illness, so I knew it must be pretty bad for her to go to A&E with it.

They immediately diagnosed chronic heartburn or possible an ulcer. Has this been mentioned to you? The fact you have had extensive testing for more serious conditions may indicate it is something as basic as this. They prescribed her one month of Lansoprazole which knocked it on the head.

I too suffer on and off from heartburn and can have it for weeks at a time, take gallons of Gaviscon to no avail. The only thing that works for me is Omeperazole which thankfully you can buy over the counter now. I too suffer with chronic burping and niggling pain and pain through my shoulder blade.

The other thing that comes to mind is irritable bowel syndrome. I have this too and it can be very painful, and also go undiagnosed for years.

Although your pain is quite high up, IBS can cause pains like yours, and the fact that you have both constipation and urgency, which are typical in IBS.

Please try if you can to be comforted by the tests you have had which are quite extensive. Abdo ultrasounds show up pancreatitis.

Hope this helps and that you can resolve this soon.xxx

Thanks for your replies - forgot to mention that I do take Lansoprazole - 15 mg morning and night - doesn't seem to help really although it did when I had my globus hytericus (lump in throat sensation). Have been taking it for ages and it doesn't really seem to make much difference to the pain - although dread to think what I would be like without it! Maybe I should switch to Omeprazole - I have some at home?

Have you told your Dr of your fears about pancreas as when I told mine he straight away did a amylase blood test that shows if your pancreas is not working properly for any reason and he said cancer of pancreas would give an abnormal reading which would warrant further tests. I don't think he was fobbing me off as he was happy to do the test for me and mine was fine.
    I was having routine thyrroid and liver tests at the time as I take thyroxine and have had gallstones for many years that don't bother me but have a liver test every 6 months to make sure all is well and he just added the pancreas one on so did not cost nhs too much.

dont dismiss the musculo skeletal pains as being a cause as I have arthritis and degenerated discs in my spine and I get pains from tickling to agonising stabbing almost anywhere in my body but especially shoulder blades/chest and round ribs and I would say that 99% of all the times I go to Dr and then have tests to rule out anything else the end result is its down to my iffy spine!

I did mention to him on last visit as well as Lactose Test - he said ultrasound had shown Pancreas as fine - sometimes it doesn't show up on ultrasound but it had and he said it was OK. He then referred me to different hospital and I go on 27 October for appointment. Guess he thinks they will do the necessary tests? Dreading the appointment but want to go to get it sorted - mixed feelings really!

Did you know you can buy a home lactose intolerance test from Higher Nature. Its not cheap but is accurate and this would rule out a lactose intolerance.

No disrespect to you countrygirl at all, but I wouldn't trust those tests that you can do at home and send back. They charge a lot of money and it is has been proven that many of them give totally inaccurate results, and sometimes tell people they are intolerant to certain things when they are not.

A more reliable method is to eliminate/exclude food stuffs containing lactose from your diet during a certain time period and keep a strict diary of your symptoms and if there are any improvements. You then reintroduce the foods again and if your symptoms come back then you know they are the culprits.

Alternatively, comprehensive NHS testing can tell you, but sadly you would probably have to fight tooth and nail for that.

xxx

Jane, have you ever been diagnosed with IBS? Because it sounds very like that. I have IBS and often get pain just under my lower right rib. When I have it I am always convinced its something serious but it always goes again. I also burp all the time when my IBS flares up - lots of wind from the other end too and definitely changes in bowel movements. Don't assume the worst, you'll be fine.

I too am convinced I have chronic pancreatitis, so I am not sure I can reassure you much but just wanted to say I am in the same boat so hello!! I am due an ultrasound on 31st October but worried as this is meant to be looking at pain in the ovary area, whereas in fact I get pain there AND in my upper and lower back, stomach and left ribs. So when I get there I am going to try to persuade them to do the whole abdomen!! Be interested to hear what happens when you go to hospital, hope all goes very well.
    Last edited by MrsNonSmoker; 07-10-11 at 23:26. Reason: typos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information