Thread: Anti psychotics

Question Anti psychotics

I've been prescribed pericyazine for my anxiety, I've been on and off anti depressants for years and now not only do they no longer work but trigger kind of either manic or self destructive episodes. It's been a few weeks, at first they made me really drowsy so I was falling asleep on the sofa but that wore off.

They lulled me into a false sense of security, it's made me know they must work because I carelessly ran out of them and had to drop to just 2.5mg in the morning instead of the 5mg 2 or 3 times a day I was taking. Plus I've returned to uni as a mature student repeating last year so life is extra stressful. The lack of them really made it worse this week, my depression came back as well and I already feel afraid to leave the house again and just want to be on my own which I can't ever do as I have a housemate.

Just interested in seeing if anyone else here has experience with anti psychs.

Re: Anti psychotics

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    I've been prescribed pericyazine for my anxiety, I've been on and off anti depressants for years and now not only do they no longer work but trigger kind of either manic or self destructive episodes. It's been a few weeks, at first they made me really drowsy so I was falling asleep on the sofa but that wore off.

They lulled me into a false sense of security, it's made me know they must work because I carelessly ran out of them and had to drop to just 2.5mg in the morning instead of the 5mg 2 or 3 times a day I was taking. Plus I've returned to uni as a mature student repeating last year so life is extra stressful. The lack of them really made it worse this week, my depression came back as well and I already feel afraid to leave the house again and just want to be on my own which I can't ever do as I have a housemate.

Just interested in seeing if anyone else here has experience with anti psychs.

Hi,
    I've never been prescribed Pericyazine.
    But I've been prescribed with Second Generation Antipsychotics.
    I was on Zyprexa ( Olanzapine) 5mg in 1998, and in 2006 I was on Seroquel (Quetiapine).

As far as I know, Pericyazine is used for severe anxiety and tension states and the maintenance treatment of the psychotic patient. Also it is useful in controlling such symptoms as impulsiveness and aggression.

It is a phenothiazine type antipsychotic, like Chlorpromazine, Prochlorperazine, etc. , but it produces more sedation than other Phenothiazine antipsychotics. It also has adrenolytic, anticholinergic and extrapyramidal effects, causing hypotension, dry mouth, constipation, muscle spasm, etc.

But, everyone reacts differently to even the same medication.

Kind Regards,
    Davevanza

I was on Quetiapine for a few months........ caused me to have slightly slurry speech! Now on Olanzapine + fluoxetine. To be honest, don't know whether it does anything or not........ still have bad anxiety, particularly in the mornings but it might be worse without it!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff2301 View Post
    I was on Quetiapine for a few months........ caused me to have slightly slurry speech! Now on Olanzapine + fluoxetine. To be honest, don't know whether it does anything or not........ still have bad anxiety, particularly in the mornings but it might be worse without it!
    Hi Geoff,

I was also on Quetiapine in 2006-2008, 100mg at night.
    It is an antipsychotic with strong sedative effect, and helpful to put me to sleep as i am an insomniac.
    But , about an hour taking it, I noticed I got muscle spasm, especially around my arms and legs. I would wake up, searching for food, before going to sleep again.
    This pattern continued from 2006 till 2008.

While I was on Olanzapine 5mg, along with Fluvoxamine 100mg, I got EPS, and my eyes rolled upwards.
    This medication made me hungry all the time. And I gained weight.

But as far as I know, Quetiapine is second generation antipsychotic, that blocks Dopamine-2, only shortly. The rest of antipsychotics bind to Dopamine-2 receptors longer than quetiapine.
    This makes Quetiapine to less likely cause EPS and increased in Prolactin.

But, each individual reacts differently to this medication.

As far as I know, the combination of Olanzapine and Fluoxetine comes under the name of Symbyax.

Interesting info, the sedation must explain why my housemates friend is also taking pericyadine for sleep, she's tried everything else. I found the drowsyness a side effect myself which has worn off and I'm back to having trouble sleeping, having anxiety dreams when I do sleep and waking up late and feeling much worse.

I don't seem to have recovered yet from running out and I've been back on the dose I was on since Friday. Maybe the increase in anxiety was going to happen anyway and was caused by uni and not running out of meds.

Hi I have just been prescribed it after finding nothing else works or the ones that do have really bad side effects that are more than just irritating. Reading them they look good but did wonder if anyone has any drunk wine on them.

Thread Information