Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Professional CBT programme free for 30 days

Re: Professional CBT programme free for 30 days

I'm sure Robin will answer this himself as soon as he's next online, but as a user of the CBT4Panic programme I don't think it's inappropriate for me to suggest that the answer (in my opinion) is: it depends how much work you're prepared to put in. If you gloss over the workbooks (not suggesting you would) and/or put it into practice only one day a week, or more occasionally, your progress is likely to be slower than someone who really takes time & effort to absorb the workbooks, really owns their recovery, and practices what they have learned every day.

I'm in the middle. With Robin's guidance I've been tackling my practical learning in a slightly different way - one that works for my life - rather than following the workbooks verbatim. After 3-4 weeks of this I'm feeling much better, more positive, and more equipped to carry on being in control of my recovery.

Hi x1and2

Elle-Kay is right - a lot depends on how much work you put in but equally a lot depends on how long you have had Panic Disorder

Face to face I have helped people become free from panic attacks within as little as 3 or 4 sessions - that's 1 hour a week for 3 or 4 weeks.

Usually this is with people who have only had one or two severe panic attacks and sought treatment fairly quickly and again they did their 'homework'.

If someone has had panic for many years it can take longer because the fear of the attacks is more entrenched and there may be many situations that the person is avoiding which need to be dealt with.

Sorry I can't be more exact but the main reason I speak so confidently about Panic Disorder in particular is that it IS one of the more easier to treat disorders because even though people first get panic attacks for a wide variety of reasons, the process that keeps the panic recurring is the SAME for everyone - which means it IS possible to help people with a very structured treatment plan.

Can I add that I have also been very pleasantly surprised by just how quickly the programme has worked for many people here on the forum so maybe if they read this they might want to add their feedback.

I hope this helps

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

As the saying goes xiand2, "A watched pot never boils", you have to focus on the treatment, not the timescale.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

I don't have the luxury of time to spend months getting over panic disorder. This is why I bought the programme.

Hi x1and2
    I absolutely understand your frustration and I'm sure all the people here on the forums who are so courageously trying to cope with panic attacks can sympathise as well.

It is so logical to want all the anxiety to go away - today.. it makes sense to want that

But panic is a kind of paradox - the more we want it to go away the more anxiety we are creating at a very subtle level which triggers our fight or flight response which leads to more sensations and more anxiety.

I know it sounds easy for me to say that - and it's not so easy to hear but nevertheless it is a very important point and one that often is the reason that some people get stuck in the fear cycles longer.

Part of the advice in the programme is to 'let time pass' (as Dr Weekes says) and to try to not put a deadline on recovery

so what I am suggesting is that if you see your very very understandable frustration as possibly one of the things that is inadvertantly slowing your recovery then maybe if you have a closer look at that and work with it then paradoxically you might be able to speed up your recovery (by not desperately wanting it to be speeded up) I know it sounds like a conundrum but it is a very common stuck point for many people.

Please feel free to PM me and maybe we can look at how your study and practice is going and I may be able to help.

Robin

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

Just 'bumping' this thread for any newcomers who may not have heard about CBT4PANIC.

And thank you to everyone who have been recommending the programme due to their own positive experiences.

Robin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information