Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Honest feedback about the CBT4PANIC programme

Re: Honest feedback about the CBT4PANIC programme

Early days for me yet with Robins course, but instantly I like the easy to follow format, and loads of videos and work books. I can't concentrate for long, but you can do as much or as little as you wish from what I can see.

I'll give it a go then

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

I'm very interested Robin and would like to give it a go (motivation- sapping depression allowing). How long does the course take? I have a month before I start a psychotherapy group, and been told not to pursue CBT once I've started :(

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    We at NMP are supporting Robin all the way with this programme as it really is fantastic and Robin has made it as cheap as possible for everyone.

Robin kindly donates some money each time you purchase his programme through the correct link that is in his post on here as well so he is also giving back to the members on NMP by supporting the running costs.

Thanks Robin
    What a ringing endorsement, and a win-win for Robin and NMP

Hi Pancho and 8days

That's great that you are wanting to give it a go - I hope it works for you as well as it is working for others.

The time it takes to work through the programme can depend on the severity of the disorder and the length of time you have had it. But many people report feeling a lot better right from the start because of the way everything is explained. I'm sure others can verify this.

Best of luck with it and please let everyone know how you get on
    Cheers
    Robin

I am interested, particularly in light of Mr Jitters' comments above, but reluctant to commit myself to anything, even if free for a 30 day trial. As a rather cynical consumer I would also have to say that my first response would be 'is there a catch?' I am wary, eg, of missing the 30 day limit, and finding myself having to pay in full; something I can ill afford to do right now. Being an anxious person the concept of committing to something which I might well 'fail' at or perhaps find ineffective make it doubly daunting (and that is no reflection on this particular programme - my brief forays into CBT in the past have been largely unhelpful, for me. I find it too simplistic, and seem rather strangely to have difficulty differentiating between thoughts and feelings, and often even identifying any thoughts. All of which leads me to feeling frustrated and cross with myself! And feeds in to an underlying 'core' belief. Don't get me started on the thought of effectively 'challenging' that!!!). Having said that, I am desperate to find something which would make me tolerate my anxiety and panic more, as I think this would be a big step for me (I loathe the feeling of being anxious and panicky. I have a presentation to give next week the thought of which simply terrifies me. I doubt, at this stage, whether I'll be physically capable of even speaking for the designated 10 minutes- I suffer really badly from 'performance' anxiety and I tremble, sweat, my mouth dries up, I develop a stutter, etc, etc. Nothing I have tried in the past has helped with this. At all. And medication barely takes the edge of it.) I would be interested to find out how the programme would tackle such a difficulty.
    Many thanks.

Hi
    I really appreciate the in depth reply - it is very helpful for me to hear how people feel about the programme - especially those who are reluctant to try it

With regards missing the 30 day limit - you will know as soon as you download the programme whether you will like it or not - it will be quite obvious - as well as that you can opt to pay over 3 months which makes the first payment very small - and again you can cancel or get a refund within 60 days (2 months)

'Is there a catch' - I can understand your concern - but keep in mind that many people on nomorepanic endorse this - including Nicola the administrator. I am a professional Cognitive Therapist - not a salesman.

It is very helpful also that you said that you are worried that you might 'fail' at this - that is such an important point for me to consider when trying to help people. I can relate to that feeling from my own experience with panic. I appreciate that you haven't had success with CBT in the past but if you keep in mind that I myself suffered from sever panic disorder with agoraphobia many years ago you may feel more reassured that this programme may relate to you more than the CBT you have had so far.

I can truly say that the programme will definitely give you many many skills that will help reduce your anxiety.

As for the performance anxiety - I really can relate to this - years ago I couldn't even introduce myself to a group of people without losing control of my nerves - my lip would tremble, and my mind would go blank - it's a truly horrible experience. Now I can give lectures - purely because I used CBT with the problem. CBT4PANIC doesn't directly deal with fear of public speaking but it will certainly take you in the right direction and the Mindfulness book will help a lot.

The best way to overcome public speaking fear is through graduated exposure (after you have learned various skills) but since you only have a week I will give you a few things that will help

1 Restructure your worst thoughts - even just take the edge off them - ie "I will freeze and go blank and everyone will think I am stupid"

Imagine you were talking to a friend and you were giving them a more 'balanced' point of view

"Yes you might freeze but then again you might be ok - and lots of people feel very anxious doing presentations so if you do freeze there will be some people who will empathize with you - and even if people notice they will forget about it soon enough - people are too worried about their own lives to constantly think of you. The fact is that it WILL be over in 10 minutes and in a few days it will all be forgotten - everything passes and fades.. etc etc

Some people even like to 'play' with the fears - ridiculize them - "ok imagine I go blank and everyone laughs and run out of the room and then they take out an ad in the newspaper and the headlines next day read "man goes blank during presentation!!" and everyone who meets me in the street points at me and I leave the country and disguise myself as a shoe salesman and .......

Sometimes making it this silly takes the edge off - we can smile

Do this with ALL your thoughts - write them down - restructure them to more 'balanced' thoughts and read them every day - this will calm you down

2. Instead of 'rehearsing' disaster every time you think about the presentation 'rehearse' (imaginally) doing ok - as you might well do - picture yourself talking ok - even smiling - and imagine people listening and then it finishes. EVERY time your mind starts to rehearse the worst - change the images to doing ok. If you rehearse disaster you prep your mind to feel anxious - if you rehearse doing ok (just ok is fine) then your mind becomes conditioned to feeling ok with the idea of the presentation

3. Practice some 'Mindfulness' - Bring your attention out from your mind and into your surroundings - become aware of the room, sounds, smells, colours, textures - don't judge anything - simply be aware - and ALLOW anxious thoughts to exist too - that's ok - just see that thoughts aren't the whole story - when we focus only on thoughts we feel overwhelmed - but when we see an object or hear a sound we have less focus on the anxious thought - it's a simple equation

A helpful technique DURING the presentation is to every now and then bring your attention to wiggling your toes - because they are the furthest point in the body from the brain this can stop us focussing on worry and help to 'ground us'

4. Slow down by HALF - when we are anxious we tend to speed up so if we try to slow down by half it actually makes us talk at a normal rate. Take breaths in between sentences.

5. This week remind yourself over and over that it is 'just people' in the presentation room - not dangerous animals. Yes some may judge - but some won't care at all and you are in no actual physical danger so the fight or flight in your body is not required.

I hope that can be of some help - as I said before this problem needs a course of CBT but hopefully these few tips will help for the coming week.

And I hope this reply has helped answer your questions about CBT4PANIC - thanks again for your feedback - it is much appreciated
    Cheers
    Robin

Robin,
    Thank you so much for your reply. It is tremendously helpful and reassuring as well as very kind and generous of you to offer these tips and advice. The way you have described it makes more sense to me I think and what resonates most is the fact that it clearly has helped you, to the extent that you can now give public lectures! The thought of being able to 'master' anxiety and panic to allow yourself to speak (voluntarily!) in public gives me real hope. So thank you. I will practice the techniques you mention over the next few days and will genuinely re-consider signing up to the programme after the presentation next week. I 'worry' about taking too much on, and then failing, as I said. Bad habit of buying self-help books, etc. and never reading them. But you have given me something tangible to work with here and it will give me pause for thought over the next few days as I prepare for this presentation. Thanks!

Hi
    Glad I could be of help - remember it is important to write the thoughts down - restructure them to more 'balanced' thoughts - and the read the EVERY day - and especially when you are starting to feel anxious and rehearse disaster - you are simply changing your conditioned response to this situation.

Best of luck
    Robin

I thought everyone might like to see some of the feedback from members of nomorepanic about CBT4PANIC. Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to give the feedback and I hope you are all still working with the programme.

If anyone has any questions or any difficulties please feel free to ask.

Robin

FEEDBACK FROM MEMBERS OF NOMOREPANIC

FINALLY I’VE FOUND SOMETHING THAT REALLY MAKES SENSE TO ME
    “I’ve started reading and find it all so easy to follow and understand. I’ve also already discovered that I’ve always had the wrong approach to panic and anxiety – all these years of searching, thinking I’d discovered the answer, only to fall back into the pit again and again – now finally I’ve found something that really makes sense to me. Thank you so much.”
– Becky

IT’S BEEN WRITTEN BY SOMEONE WHO UNDERSTANDS BECAUSE THEY’VE BEEN THROUGH IT
    “Just read the handbook that arrived this morning. I think it’s BRILLIANT. We know it’s been written by someone who understands because they’ve been through it, it explains all your symptoms which I know will be very helpful to a lot of people, you only need to look at the health anxiety posts on here. I also particularly like that it’s handbag size, with a plain cover. I’m sure it will go everywhere with me and I look forward to putting the coping strategies into practice. Thank you so much Robin!”
– Tish

I’M ALREADY FEELING BETTER
    “I’ve read the first ebook now and I’m already feeling a bit better. I loved the little injections of humour and found myself laughing along at some of it in agreement. The part that has helped me most so far is your explanations on page 16 about how and why the symptoms are caused. In the past I’ve known that they were anxiety symptoms but not why they happened and I found it harder to convince myself of the reality. Knowing why they are happening helps me understand further. Thats something I’d not seen before.”
– Emz

I AM SO GLAD I STARTED THIS COURSE
    “I have to say that i am so glad i started this course, i’m not even half way through as i have had so many personal problems to deal with. But i would never have got through an hour and a half at a solicitors today without the tools i needed from this course and the support i received from Robin.
    I’ll openly on this forum Thank him for helping me get through today as for once i don’t fear the panics anymore, i’m agoraphobic and an hour and a half is such a long time to sit in anyones office especially when i know i’ve got to do it all again next week.
    Well done Robin.”
- Diane07

FOR THE FIRST TIME I HAD INSTANT UNDERSTANDING
    “It was easy to read and the cartoons made it so friendly. In fact once I started I couldn’t stop and I carry the little booklet (the condensed version of the course) around with me in my handbag so I can refer to it whenever necessary.
    I’ve had anxiety and panic disorder for 18 years and have been through many sessions of counselling and research in my search for recovery.
    For the first time I had instant understanding which has given me control over my disorder. My husband has remarked at what a change there is in me lately as my fears are less and my confidence is growing daily.
    I also appreciate that the author, Robin is willing to correspond with me when I have queries. He has really put himself out to help fellow sufferers. I would recommend this course to anyone suffering from this disorder, it’s been a life-saver for me!
    Thank you.”
- Becky000

THOROUGHLY RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE
    “Ditto to what the others have said! i am halfway through the programme and it is so easy to follow and friendly, the cartoons are great and Robin is lovely. Thoroughly recommend it to anyone.”
    - mabelthemini

BESIDES ONE OTHER BOOK THIS HAS BEEN THE ONLY THING THAT HAS EVER HELPED
    “I loved it. I found the comics so delightful. I could relate so much to the characters. It’s easy to read and understand. It’s well worth printing out the ebooks. 
The mistakes I made was trying to go through it too fast and not sticking with it. But it did help me when I was having actual panic attacks. There is a panic attack page which you fill out. You write down your thoughts and feels and it really helped me see how I was being irrational. It helped me really see all the awful thoughts I was having and how 99% of my what if’s had a 1% of actually happening to me.
    I do hope to restart it and put in more efort in this time. I’ve had anxiety a good 12 years or more now. I have read countless amounts of self-help books, besides one other book, this has been the only other thing that has actually help me. I would highly recommend this to anyone.”
- mishel

IT JUST CLICKED WITH ME
    “It really helped me to the point that i am working with the public again, i never thought i would be able to do that again ever, Robin is a very understanding and supportive guy, his program i felt, was easy to understand, it just clicked with me.
    Just try and put all into the therapy, it wasn’t easy at first and i did have a few hurdles to get over, but i did it and my life is a very different one now, just stick with it and i am sure you will do as well as i did.”
- diane07

GREAT PROGRAM
    “hey, just to let you know, great program. The small book is great to read makes you feel like going to do all the things you don’t want to do.
    so i’ll be trying more things next week”
- bull50

I AM SO HAPPY AT THE MOMENT
    “Stick with it bull, I am working so many hours now and doing things that i never thought possible again.
    I am going further and pushing myself further each day, can’t believe how different my life is now, just remember baby steps and keep doing them each day.
    I am so happy at the moment, no anx at all. Stick with it hun.”
- diane07

BRING IT ON PANIC
    “So I’ve read through 2 lessons now of the CBT4PANIC course. Last night I had my first PA since starting this course (about 2 weeks). I woke up and felt disorientated and had a racing heart. Normally I would get up go down stairs and get a glass of water and try to slow my breathing, then read my book until everything settles back down again. This normally takes about 1 hour and I feel drained at the end of it. This time around I thought ‘YES’ a chance to try out the technique from CBT4PANIC, you need to just let it happen feel the symptoms as an observer and be aware of your surroundings.
    Well it worked my heart rate returned to normal in a couple of minutes, I didn’t feel terrible afterwards in fact I felt back to normal in less than 10 minutes. [Bring it on PANIC] Its the funny little pictures of the Bloke panicking in CBT4PANIC I keep thinking of, they really help you lose your fear.”
- mohc

I’M FINALLY HAVING RESULTS WITH CBT4PANIC
    “I am a single mother of a school aged child and I don’t have time for this and I want my life back. I’ve done the three “big” commercial anxiety programs and I’m finally having some results with CBT4panic.”
- Threnners

I HAVE TO SAY THE VIDEOS ARE BRILLIANT
    “Just bought the online package last night. Already watched the first few videos and I have to say they are brilliant. Looking forward to doing more today. Starting cbt on Thursday with a one to one but I think this will contribute significantly to my recovery too. Worth a look everyone xx”
- LucyLiz

I STARTED TO FEEL BETTER IMMEDIATELY
    Hi Robin
I got your message on the NMP site.
I’m so sorry that I haven’t been in touch since I received the course.
    Firstly, yes, I am keeping warm – it’s summer here in South Africa – so actually I’m too warm!
    Anyway, I must just tell you that from the first time I read over your CBT course I was hooked. Before I’d even attempted any of the exposure exercises everything just clicked for me. I started to feel better immediately. I think it’s because I finally understand and feel in control at last. I’m not scared of it anymore – and this after 18 years. Such a relief!
    I received your little booklet in the post and I take it everywhere with me and whenever I have a few spare minutes I read something in it. Just to keep reminding myself until it’s completely familiar.
    I started my support group last week and although there’s only a few of us I was able to share what I’d learnt and there was a lot of interest. Although most of the people who turned up suffer from depression and not anxiety so I wasn’t able to share as much as I’d hoped to.
    I’ve started reading your Mindfulness book and am enjoying that too.
    Thanks again Robin, for a very well written and easy-to-understand course.
I have no negative criticism to offer at all and am just so grateful for what you’ve given me – freedom from anxiety!
    Best regards
 Becky

I DEFO SEE A MAJOR IMPROVEMENT DOWN TO YOUR PROGRAMME
    Hi Robin,
Since last week (when i last msgd you) i have had a good week!!!! Even managed to travel to london on a train for work and back!!!!! seem to just be having my problems on a weekend, don’t know whether its because i’m not in my monday to friday working routine!!! yes its hard, but i defo can see a major improvement down to your programme!!! Thank you so much for this opportunity, do you mind me giving you a weekly update like this?
 PJH1981

I WOULD RECOMMEND HIGHLY!
    Hi Robin,
I cannot fault your books (I have completed 1-2 so far), clear, easy to understand and relate to, funny at times which is needed… but most importantly I am already using the skills learnt…and actually I am looking forward to putting this into practice by ignoring my next panic attack. I took my notes to a hairdressing trip and smiled (as you recommended) through the appointment (although I would rather have teeth pulled than hair cut).
    It has also made me realise one very important thing – yes I can tackle my panic attacks but I really need to tackle the thing that caused them in the first place
    All in all – I would recommend highly! now onto book 3.
Kind regards
 Ambers

YOUR BOOKS CONFIRMED MY INNER BELIEFS
    Hi Robin,
    In answer to your questions – I think I am getting a hold on the general panic attacks and I agree that your books so far have helped a great deal. I have had 4 CBT sessions previously but was uncomfortable by a few things and never stuck it out. I think I knew subconsciously that by avoiding PA it made it worse. I had a bad attack at work once but begged my colleagues to let me stay in the office – I remember telling them that if they sent me home it would be another place I would avoid. Your books confirmed my inner beliefs which were being blocked by the physical panic (or the bit which I could see, hear and feel).
    If I am honest – I wasn’t sure about signing up when you advertised, but I trusted the admin staff on here to have vetted you and your product first.
    Robin – you sound like a good honest person and I so hope this is a success.
    Thank you
 Ambers

JUST READING THEM HAS ENABLED ME TO CALM DOWN
    Hi Robin, thank you so much for your work books. Just reading them has enabled me to calm down and put things into perspective and I am just about to go out and practice.
    I have just been reading through some transcripts of a conversation between yourself and a client and I was struck by your ability to cut through all the confusing ‘stuff’ that surrounds panic and really get to the core of the problem.
Thank you,
 Karina

I’VE READ ABOUT FIGHT OR FLIGHT BUT NEVER ANYTHING THAT EXPLAINS THEM THE WAY YOU HAVE
    I’ve read about fight or flight symptoms over and over but never anything that explains them the way you have. The information so far really surpasses the information that the local CBT place that the doctor sent me too. I’m looking forward to reading the rest.
    Thanks
 - emz

VERY IMPRESSED WITH WHAT I’VE SEEN
    Very impressed with what I’ve seen! Haven’t read all the books yet but the ones I have are really good! I have been through CBT and I think its a great option! I would have preferred it to going face to face!!! And its a great idea to have a blank cover!!! So noone will know what you are reading!!!
    The website is great too! Easy to navigate.
 mabel

I MANAGED TO GO TO A HUGE SHOPPING CENTRE THIS MORNING
    Hi Robin,
I have been studying book 1 and 2 and trying to implement them into my life, so far so good, i am practicing not to be afraid of having a panic attack etc and they have died down over this week, to the point where i didnt have any yesterday. I managed to go to a huge shopping centre this morning too, had a bit of anticipatory anxiety, but nothing major, havent felt too good this afternoon so far but i keep telling my self the stuff you mention in the pack, thanks.
 PJH1981

THE WEE BOOK IS JUST PERFECT IN MY OPINION
    Hi robin ! Just received your wee book today , Have to say i was having a bad day before i sat down and read through it , even though i have been going through this for the past nine years on and off and know what is happening and how and what to do to get through it , it did put me in a better frame of mind.
    In the past i have read many books and bought a few miracle cures ! Maybe it worked for some people, lets face it everybody is different ! I think for most people who go through this too much information can be quite frustrating, some of the books, web sites etc babble on too much and hit you with too much of the does and donts and whys and why nots, and if i hear the caveman theory once more i’ll scream,, lol,,. For someone just experiencing panic or anxiety for the first unfortunate time i suppose they do need all the help and info they can get on it . The wee book you sent is just perfect in my opinion ! Simple and straight to the point and easy to take in. If i can help in any way don’t hesitate to ask any questions.
 shorty1969

WITH THESE BOOKS I KNOW I WILL BEAT IT NOT JUST FOR A FEW MONTHS BUT FOREVER
    many thanks Robin,
    i don’t tend to fear the panic when its actually happening, so thats a good thing, i just tell my self its a mistake or its just adrenaline, or most times now i just go about what ever i’m doing whilst it is happening, i just need to practice to not fear having one!!!! cuz i do still find myself thinking “i hope i don’t have a panic” etc instead of thinking “if i have a panic, who cares, its just adrenaline”, i am finding this the hardest part, but with these books and practice, i know i will beat it, not just a for a few months (i went months without a single panic attack then it all came back again from one thought in my head), but forever, thanks again for you time and everything you’re doing for people like me.
    Regards 
PJH1981

AMAZED AT HOW MUCH INFO WAS PUT INTO THIS
    Hi just to let you know the download worked fine (i was doing it wrong) Also just read booklet 1 and was amazed at how much info was put into this, I have had cbt before but not with as much info as this, I am really impressed with the 1st book, Also i thought the cartoon characters were great even made me smile which believe me i don’t do a lot of at the moment, i will be reading book 2 and will let you know what i think. Thanks - 
lisa12

THE BOOKS ARE AMAZING SO FAR
    I’m very suspicious of buying from unknown websites, as 1000’s offer various cures for anxiety, BUT your website along with the book previews really intrigued me.
What appealed to me most were the comic style books. As its very different, I enjoy art and comics and I like the upbeat, happy, fun appeal of yours.
    I can really relate to the characters, I find them quite amusing, and I guess it’s a good thing to be able to laugh at yourself and the characters in the book.
    Over all I think you have a winner - the books are amazing so far
 - mishel

YOUR EBOOKS ARE SO DOWN TO EARTH AND HONEST
    Over the years i have seen many cbt sites and studied them, and in all honesty this has to be one of the best, i love the way you do not concentrate on too many of the symptoms, it doesn’t help me to read too many of them, i love the positivity on how you have put in bold some of the words that need to stick……………
    More importantly, i believe what you are telling me is true, i’m not stupid, your ebooks are so down to earth and honest and that much more than anything is so important.
    Sometimes it is scary and i don’t want to take on what you are asking me to do, but i know the key to the cure is doing exactly what you are asking me.
    I’m on a mission to succeed and then i can help promote your site.
    ps. i was so made up to read that you mentioned Dr Claire Weekes, that alone shows it isn’t spam or just on a mission to sell something…………..
    well done - 
diane07

NOWHERE HAS IT EVER BEEN EXPLAINED TO ME WHY WE PANIC LIKE YOU HAVE
    Hi Robin
The audios are fantastic, very clearly spoken, soft gentle voice, sound quality was fab.
    I love the audio “During a Panic Attack” i actually believe that would stop me fearing the feelings of panic if i was out.
    And after listening to workbook 1 part 1, now this bit really did please me, because nowhere has it ever been explained to me on why we panic like you have.
    You see its no good someone telling me that i panic because of adrenaline blah blah blah, i have always wondered why i can just be sitting there, no anxiety whatsoever and then WHAM! it hits me out of the blue.
    And that is what you have just explained to me very clearly and somehow i don’t feel as though i’m going to be as scared anymore when the panic comes like that because now i know why.
    Forgot to say, i got my booklet, me and nic were saying how good it was, plus, it fits in our handbags, not many like that about. The ebooks are easy to read, i don’t find them a chore, plus because you have done the cartoon pics sometimes reading the parts in the balloon alone jogs everything in my memory, i see the panic as in a little devil sitting on my shoulder telling me to run, only now i’m not so scared of him, as i know if i don’t fear him he’ll get bored and disappear, its my easy way of accepting panic.
    went out in my car for the first time in two weeks on my own and went to the post office i’ve been dreading going to since i moved here, about 15 kids outside and about 20 in the queue and i was at the back just as i felt that little wave of fear i stopped and invited it in and guess what?
    A BIG FAT NOTHING

onwards and upwards i’m going to start my walk tomorrow threw these welsh fields, i’ll start slow and work my way up, i’m going to set myself targets and not turn back even if i have panic all the way there and back.
    sorry for rambling but i am that pleased i just wanted to share, i haven’t even got on to workbook 4 yet.
    Think that audio brainwashed me 
diane07

um hi
    i have only just been to my doctors about 'my feelings'.
    told me it depression and anxiety etc, filled in a questionnaire, got a number to ring for cbt but still having private counselling at moment which have been since feb. also gave me prescription for citalopram.
    i guess im scared of anyone finding out as i am with anything at mo, the tablets and the side effects, explaining them if ppl quered, going to conselling in private which is hard etc.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information