Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Honest feedback about the CBT4PANIC programme

Re: Honest feedback about the CBT4PANIC programme

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Have found this course incredibly useful. Since I started I've had considerable progress, and have started doing things which would previously trigger anxiety. Although I have been anxious at times it's been nowhere on the scale than before I started and have so far kept it under control - although it's not actually something I control it's more something that I have decided not to be affected by! I have been quite thorough and gone over the chapters several times before moving on, sometimes watching the videos as well. When there has been a long gap, I've gone back to the beginning. I am now starting to feel confident about the possibility of recovery. I'm actually amazed at how quickly it started to work too. Definitely gets my vote. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

not quite sure if this is the right place to post this but it dous contain my view on cbt.
    but not the course set out on here.

i was first sent for cbt over the telephone 1 hour every 14 days for 12 calls
    then every intermediate week i would be called from a student at a collage to find out how my treatment has helped me.

the course was all about understanding were the panic comes from ect.ect
    the next stage was introdusing yourself back to the world pushing your self forward / in to harms way / is the way i see it

you have to face your feer head on .mine is driving away from home.
    they wanted to messure my responce to driving away alittle fit further each week pushing and pushing to break the barrier that contains the panic ( comfort zone)
    all though this may be good for some one that is new to panic dissorder it is not in my oppinion any good to some one that has sufferd for over 20 years .
    how mant times have you lied toor made excuses to your self your wife your kids all because of panic . so i am sorry some one over the tellephone telling you to do something isnt going to work .if i said grab a knife and cut your self you couldnt do it
    the self presovation kicks in . well this is the same thing.
    the next time i was sent for cbt 3 weeks ago .was a class descusion group . i have never seen anything so stupid in all my life . this was there first year and first class of that year at doing cbt . it was a two hour class over a twelve week program that they managed to cover in 1 hour then spent the next hour repeating them self . the lady that was taking the class .how can i say (all she wanted to do for 1:30 mins is to draw a cave man on a board to show the fight flight responce) when the man of the class wouldnt let her well that was it she didnt speak to him ant more .
    sad sad sad . abit like richard and judy hosting rainbow. not a clue.

anyhow for me cbt is no good and i belive untill you get to the point were you belive the panic responce cant hurt you it is no good moving forward . you must belive in your self before you can put your next foot forward .then the steps that you take are towards the ending of your suffering.

sorry for my rant and sorry if this is in the wrong place i got it as close as i could find
    adipall.

Hi Adrian
    I sent you a private message with some more information regarding CBT4PANIC.

I'm sorry that you have had a bad experience with CBT - I agree that it would have been very difficult for you to follow a CBT programme from one phone call every two weeks and the group discussion sounds like it had it's own problems

Can I just add that I hope you don't let these unfortunate experiences put you off CBT altogether. CBT if administered correctly really is the most effective treatment for Panic Disorder.

You were saying that 'until you get to the point where you believe the panic response can't hurt you you can't move forward' - and I actually partly agree with you on this. In fact, because I suffered from panic disorder myself I used to argue with my trainers when they wanted to send sufferers out to 'face their fears' without enough coping skills to help them deal with the anxiety that is bound to arise.

But I also must say that very graduated exposure IS half of the equation. If you likened it to a fear of water or swimming. No matter how long you spent reassuring a person that they will be able to swim - no matter how much time you read the theory of floatation and show them the techniques for swimming they can NEVER lose their fear until they actually get into the water.

So - it's a 'catch 22' - and that is why I believe in a thorough understanding of panic with a long time spent on learning skills that will help you cope with anxiety BEFORE you do the exposure work. Also, many new therapists discount the power of 'interoceptive exposure' - which is practiced at home and helps you to gradually get used to the frightening physical sensations long before you venture out.

Anyway - have a read at my PM and get back to me.

Best of luck
    Robin

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi Everyone

I'm sure Adrian won't mind if I draw everyone's attention to his new post here

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=112314

He ended up trying CBT4PANIC and so far he says it has changed his whole opinion of CBT and that for the first time he feels hopeful about breaking free of his anxiety.

I would like to thank him for giving the programme a try and for expressing his change of mind.

I know that people on the forum are very wary about any online anxiety programmes (for good reasons) but CBT4PANIC is an incredibly effective professional treatment plan - if you try a search on the forum for CBT4PANIC you will see that it is helping a lot of people.

Best of luck
    Robin

CBT4Panic is now completely FREE and anyone can access the full programme here http://cbt4panic.org/

I have had CBT4PANIC programme for several weeks and not even looked at it till I had a really terrible week last week. It helped me get through the week and I will be continuing to use it.

It has made me realise that I am on what I call a panic/anxiety train and didn't know how to get off!!! Now I feel I have some hope of breaking the doors open and jumping off the train lol

Hi Jenny

So gald to hear that you ar efinding the programme helpful

Please feel free to contact me with any difficulties you might be having

Best of luck
    Robin

Jenny

Not using it???? Your posting has confused me. Is it good the program or not?

Joy

Hi Joy

I think Jenny means that she 'hadn't' looked at it 'until' she had a terrible week, and then she used it and it helped her through the week (meaning it is good) and she will 'be continuing to use it'

Hope this helps
    Robin

Hi thinking of trying your programme , I have tension headaches for about a month non stop could this help with this ,also I was on Anti depressant meds but came off and the psych said with people like me thats the only hope " therapies" wont work .Would appreciate our feedback before purchasing thank

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information