Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upping my dose from half a 15mg tablet to whole 15mg tablet

Upping my dose from half a 15mg tablet to whole 15mg tablet

I was given 15mg tablet of mert but was scared of side effects so dr told me to just take half to start with so I've been having half a tablet or 7.5mg on a night. I started them a week a go tomorrow... Have had very few side effects other then feeling sick now and again and sleeping (which has been a hod send to be honest!!) anyway what should I expect taking the higher dose!? Anyone else done it this way and how were the aide effects!?did the ones you had already increase or not or did you get new ones!!

Many thanks in advance and sorry for typos or spelling mistakes my phone likes to make me look really stupid lol xxx

Re: Upping my dose from half a 15mg tablet to whole 15mg tablet

It usually takes 2-4 weeks for the tablets to work to full effect. You can either take 7.5mg for another week, or increase now and hope you are as lucky as you've been this week about side effects.

There should be a leaflet inside the tablet pack telling you about possible side effects. If not, ask your chemist for one.

I found that I didn't experience more side effects when I increased my dose. I was on 15mg at first, and increased to 30mg after a month, once I'd got used to the side effects and they became less extreme (extreme tiredness/zombiness mainly).
    Sorry though I don't know what it would be like going from 7.5mg to 15mg after a short time.

When I first started taking Mirtazapine I also was on 7.5 mg and my initial side effects were increased appetite and sleeping more than usual. Then I increased to 15 mg and did not get any more side effects which was nice! My last increase from 15 mg to 30 mg did bring about restless leg syndrome though. I find myself unable to keep my feet and legs still for long periods of time, especially at night. Before this med I was on Citalopram and those side effects were horrible for me! I'm happy so far that this med has much more milder effects, and since my last increase in dosage I am beginning to feel more calmer during the day. Good luck to you!

i dont know what to do for the best, to try a full 15mg tonight or to stick as I am for another week...

luv2 teach - I also tried Citalopram and also had terrible side effects on them so dr gave me the mirt to try and so far so good... very few side effects. how long did u wait till u upped your dose to the 15mg?

Chem - I dont wanna read the leaflet inside as that itself would make me panic and for fear I will then have every side effect going since I knew what they were (if that makes sense?)

ZH Bully - did u find your side effects bad at 7.5mg? I was in the thought that I didnt have many cause it was such a small dose but maybe im just not going to get many? fingers crossed ey! x

Hi Mardy,
    I went straight on at 15mg.
    I have my fingers crossed for you that if you have 'good' side effects at 7.5mg, you won't have more when you do increase your dose.

I understood that the therapeutic dose was 30-45mg so I would have thought the sooner you can get the dose up, the sooner you'll start feeling better.

I also went straight to 15mg and the immediate side effect was extreme drowsiness shortly after taking it (wore off over the course of a week), massively increased appetite and some odd dreams. I would guess you may get these side effects but not quite as strongly as you are already on a small dose.

People do quote literature saying the therapeutic dose is supposed to be 30mg+ but bear in mind it is actually the dose that works for YOU that is important. It might be higher or lower. Like a lot of people here, I have only ever been on 15mg, and it works a treat.

Hi Mardy...it took me about 2 or 3 weeks before I increased my dosage from 7.5 mg to 15 mg. I was supposed to only be on 7.5 mg one week and then increase my dosage but I'm such a worrier when it comes to meds that I wanted to wait and make sure I didn't develop any horrible side effects before I upped it. Of course I didn't get any so I'm happy about that! Keep us posted how it goes for you.

well it will be 2 weeks on tuesday coming since I started to take the meds and still no side effects as such other the now sleeping well at nights... thinking of upping them on tuesday coming as that will be two weeks... then will take it from there as to how im feeling etc as im guessing it will be time to go back to drs soon and I also have my CBT appointment through already which im over the moon about as I thought I was going to have to wait for ages for it... xxx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information