Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting my GP to prescribe me diazepam

Re: Getting my GP to prescribe me diazepam

i'm on 40mg Citalopram. this past week i've been double-dosing it for 80mg, hasn't really done anything, just makes it really hard for me to 1. get drunk, 2. get high

I think the most important thing is that you need to speak to your doc and tell him how desperate you're feeling. He then has got to do something.

Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    i'm on 40mg Citalopram. this past week i've been double-dosing it for 80mg, hasn't really done anything, just makes it really hard for me to 1. get drunk, 2. get high
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    I went to the shop today and could barely handle it, I think i'm worse every day. i'm going to call them and ask for a phone consultation and tell him i'm dropping out unless he can give me some valium to help (I don't even know if it will work or how much it will help me, but there's nothing left to try)
    It sounds like you're smoking and drinking, and that neither are doing you much good, so sorry to hear that.

Doubling your cit might help I guess (I don't much about it other than it didn't help me) but shouldn't your doctor be on side with that? And, it takes weeks, doesn't it, for the effects to kick in?

It sounds to me (I know I said it before) that you just need a short term break from this awful cycle of stress. You said that your doctor had said he could only prescribe a day or two of diazepam, why can't you try that? The thing is, now you're talking about an ultimatum to your doctor about giving it to you...I know you're desperate, but if he sense that's where you're coming from I don't think that would go down well at all :(

For me I'd do it like this:

1) go to my GP and tell him how desperate I am for some immediate relief (gently raising the subject of a couple of days' worth of diazepam just for a 'break' from things, if he doesn't already mention it)

2) ask for something for the medium to long term (increased cit/CBT/whatever he can offer)

3) If I'm not happy with 1) and 2) I'd change GPs asap.

Best wishes to you

How are things Epsilon? Been thinking about you, really hope things are better...

I saw another GP at the on-campus place and he wouldn't give me anything even though I told him I was dropping out otherwise. I am back home now and i'm going to see my usual GP and see if he won't give me any diazapam for long term use, and if I feel like it's working well enough I will go back to Uni next week, if not i'll be dropping out completely, which sucks :(

i really really dont want to sound preachy here - as im on 20mg cit and i have drank quite alot while ive been on it, but ive known i shouldnt, and im 5wks pregnant now so wont touch a drop of alcohol - but you really are prob undoing the benefit of the cit through drinking and smoking weed - which is really really bad for ppl with mental health issues - have you ever been truthful with any gps about your drink and drug habits - coz i really dont think they would agree with your use under the circumstances- and the reason why they wont give u valium is coz a) it is highly highly addictive b) your too young and you dont have any dependents c) you have family to go to and lastly d) they dont want to compound your anxiety by adding an addiction to your list of 'issues/problems' - you could do with looking into ways to try to help yourself if you dont want therapy - exercise can be a lifesaver to the anxiouds and depressed or meditation or yoga or walking or helping others - all just suggestions of things that have been known to help

Sorry to hear that Epsilon.

As it's such a threat to your studies I'd really recommend getting in touch with the student welfare people for their advice and support, that's what they're there for. If you do need a break they should be able to help with that so you don't have to permanently drop out but can return when meds or therpay have helped etc.

I wouldn't have though asking for a long-term prescription for diazepam will get you very far with most doctors. I would think that most would give you a few days' worth to start with and want to review you.

Anyway, really hope you feel better soon and get the support you need

Emmas you make some good points, amongst others about not drinking excessively, exercise, yoga and meditation etc (all great if you can manage them) but some things you've written I strongly disagree with, especially:

Quote Originally Posted by emmas View Post
    the reason why they wont give u valium is coz...b) your too young and you dont have any dependents c) you have family to go to...
    I don't think these are true at all!!
    Last edited by eight days a week; 18-10-11 at 20:36.

I never normally drink or smoke pot, but I had to try something to get through uni, even with those it was too hard. If my doc doesn't give me any diazepam I can acquire some illegally quite easily, I would just rather get them legit from him and he can monitor me on them etc (plus, they would be free)

every doc is differnt if u explain u wont them for cure not prevention he shoul dgive em to u if not ask to see another gp with in your surgery , if them tabs are making u il come off em alot off ssri s make ya anxiety go through the roof iv come all ssri s they just make me 100 x worse !! took me years tho an dmy doc as given 5 mg of valum on a prn basis , i generally take 2.5 mg but found on a cpl off occassions they make me feel low ao gonna hlf the 2.5 if i can !! dont need to feel low when u feel calm .good luck hun xxx

Completely understandable Epsilon and I think you're doing the right thing continuing to look for a sympathetic GP

(I would also still look for help from the uni welfare though)

GP switched me to an SNRI called mirtazapine. obviously not what I wanted, and it's not an immediate relief, so unfortunately it seems I will have to drop out of univeristy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information