Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can GP's detect heart arrhythmia's?

Can GP's detect heart arrhythmia's?

I know ECG is the ultimate test, but can a doctor get a red flag from listening with a stethoscope?

My anxiety is playing up again regarding my lightheadedness that i've had for months, so I'm worrying I have heart problem now brain issues have been ruled out.

My resting heart rate is between the 50's and 60's, as I run a lot. Basically I worry about damage I may have done to my heart, as a couple of years ago I took some ephedrine for a few months (for exercise, stupid I know). I didn't take it for too long but still I'm worried. Like I said, it was 2 years ago, quite a gap between symptoms I get now.

I'm still stressing, so any advice would be welcome. Should I tell my doctor? It was a long time ago, that I forgot. She says it's anxiety so I'm on Sertraline and going back to see her in 4 weeks.

Thanks

Carl

Re: Can GP's detect heart arrhythmia's?

Yes your doctor can identify something amiss in your heart, I has happened to me within the last year.

Doc listens to my upper body with a scope, I didn't say I thought there was something wrong, it was just a general exam as I had a virus earlier, doc tells me she can hear a sound which she is unsure about so I go for an test in the surgery...a murmur is confirmed and an ECG arranged at the local cardiac department...it is discovered I do have something not quite right with one of the heart valves.

Its not serious but could develop (it will get worse apparently) over time, I've not been prescribed any medication for it, I have the reports from the doctor and hospital and I'm not worried about it ...Yet!

Your resting heart rate is very good, mine can be almost double that at times!

J.
    Last edited by Bruno58; 13-10-11 at 20:33. Reason: spelling

Thank you Bruno for your kind reply, it's made me feel a bit better. I guess general doctors can spot more than you think.

I'm sorry to hear about one of your heart valves, I hope it doesn't turn into something serious (I'm sure it won't). At least they are aware of the problem now which can't be a bad thing. Take it as a good sign you aren't on medication too!

Hi Carlos,

Your heart rate is very good...healthy as it is low, but not too low, doubtless because you are fit with all of your running.

GP's can spot issues with the heart via the stethoscope.

I passed out at work a couple of years ago. My BP was very low so I thought I had better get a check up and my GP listened to my heart with the scope and spotted an arrythmia. I ended up just having an ECG which was fine, though they are only a brief snapshot of the heart, and not comprehensive enough to know if the arrythmias are constant over a period of time. Cardiac monitoring over 24hrs is really the only way to know for sure. I put my probs down to anxiety really.

You mention lightheadness and I am wondering if maybe you have a low BP which is causing that? I regularly have that and I know from the mentioned experience and other times my BP is checked that it tends to run low. If you are very fit with a low resting HR it may well be the case.

It may well be anxiety, but it also might be worth a check of your BP with your doc.

Take care.x

Thanks Deb's

So was your arrythmia nothing to worry about in the end then?

Quite ironic actually, the doctor told me to monitor my blood pressure for the 4 weeks (twice a week), as it's been a little bit up. I think I got white coat syndrome though as it was 160/85, normally it's around 138/70's. She thinks anxiety is lifting it, but because my mom suffers with high blood pressure she wants me to monitor it at home just to be sure. Although she said it wouldn't need medication at that level for my age (29).

So I have a low resting heart rate and pre-high blood pressure, weird huh?!

Yeah I just read about the 24/7 heart monitoring. I think I have to be logical, this lightheadness is always there, but sometimes worse than other times. When the doc listened to my heart I had the symptoms then too, so I assume my heart is ok. It's just my anxiety worrying me about something else as usual!

If i'm honest I would like the doc to do more tests but I've already had clear blood tests and an MRI scan, I never seem to be happy and sure everything is ok!

My GP noticed a heart murmur just from listening briefly in a regular exam. She said it was nothing to worry about, an "innocent" murmur, and sometimes people live their whole lives without it bothering them once. I was told it was nothing to worry about.

Ok thanks swgrl09, that's interesting to know. I know little about it! I'm a bit less worried now then. It's amazing what doctors can pick up.

carlos I'm sure you don't have to worry about a heart problem, as others have said, a resting rate of 50-60 shows you are very fit and healthy, the light head is likley to be anxiety, I have experienced the same many times as I have suffered with depression and anxiety etc over the years and also have high BP, I cannot remember off hand if Sertraline gave me these symptoms or not, I've tried a number of anti-deps so it has become confusing!

Ask your doc to check your blood pressure and I think you will be reassured at the result, remember it can vary quite a lot depending on your mood and reactions to circumstances at the time of the check, as an example mine has varied from 140/70 up to 200+/100.

My head is giving some trouble at the moment..fuzzy and pressure at the side and some dizzy spells but its just the situation I'm in and I don't worry about it, it passes after a while.

I also have to wait up to a month to see the doctor I want as I wont just see anyone, I pick who I see now.

J.

I have a very slight arrhythmia that didn't show up on multiple ECGs but did show up (only twice) on 48-hour Holter monitor.

Purely based on that (and with no medical knowledge at all) I would say ask to have it checked out, but if it was a constant it would possibly (probably??) have been picked up on, and so in the short-term there is nothing to worry about. And no need to tell your doc about the ephedrine I'm sure

Thanks eight days a week. Yeah that is true, my symptoms are pretty much 24/7 and they have checked my heart a few times now so I'm guessing something would have been picked up. I'll mention it to the doc in a few weeks if these tablets don't start to improve things though.

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

Thanks Bruno, yeah I've got a blood pressure monitor and it's all over the place..it's around the 140 mark over early 70's..I think i'm borderline, when the doc checks it, it's always higher..put it down to..anxiety!

Yeah this fuzzy head won't go away for me either, I think we all deserve a break from it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information