Thread: Ladies - could you birth control be causing your panic attacks

Ladies - could you birth control be causing your panic attacks

I've suffered from panic attacks for quite a few years they first started when I was 22. For about 4 years after my first attack I would have what would feel like about 1 a day, from the time I was 26 -28 my attacks seemed to get better, in my 28th year I was down to having a mild one every few months if at all. Finally I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I was feeling great. Then in january of this year I had a massive attack again and then I started having them gradually everyday, what went wrong.... It just so happens that in january of this year I went back on the contraceptive pill!!!!! (I'd been off it for two years). I did stop the pill a few months after I started with my panic attacks but only for 2 months, (off my own back as the doctor didn't think it was necessary), but i still carried on with the panic so I continued with it I'd also been on it since I was 18 so didn't really think it could be that. Since the attack in january I have googled the pill and was surprised by my findings all I can say is i will never go back on it again! It also takes at least 6 months to get out of your system, so i didnt realise the first time it was the pill causing it all along. 9 months on I feel like I'm getting back to normal again. I hope this helps someone out there its just something to think about if you are on the pill and getting these awful attacks

Re: Ladies - could you birth control be causing your panic attacks

i cant do hormone s !!! and it s always worse when im due on , i def think pill dont help well me personally ... i had that mirena coil fitted just after the birth of my daughter and the hormones in it triggered off pnd !! anxiety n ocd yukkk .

Thanks for this tigger496! I have been on microgynon 30 for the past 6 years and that's as long as I have been having these attacks, it may be other things of course but I am going to come off my pill and see if anything changes.
    Thanks again! x

Hi have u tried the mini pill?? thats what doc has suggested to me as it only has 1 hormone? haven't started it yet as im suffering high anxiety at the min anyway
    Nicola xx

hi i too started the mini pill cerazette and since then my anxiety and panic attacks have come back i do believe that hormones are my trigger and this pill didn't help and i am also getting side effects after stopping this pill ie itching aching legs proper panic shaking headaches so i would strongly advise you to think before taking this pill not everyone is the same though x

Hiya I have just changed to cerazette after being on the depo provera injection for quite a while, I am feeling alright just keep getting loads of spots which is annoying at the age of 25 lol. It is something to think about though anxiety and the pill. Could very well be linked somehow x

Oh bugger its cerazette ive been given! Might not start it now?? X x

yes i've been on mini pill cerazette and also combined ones yasmin and microgynon 30, just don't think the hormones agree with me. I also used to suffer with cramp in the back of my legs and don't get it at all now im off the pill, I found on net that this was another side effect :( yes its worth a try Gembutt, just make sure you stay off it a good amount of time to see if it makes any difference

I've never taken the pill because my doctor said not too as I often get migraines around the time of my period but I have read so much on the internet about women linking anxiety to birth control.
    Surely their must be a better way? I know condoms suck, but it would be great when the male pills come on the market : )
    My friend got her first ever migraine while on the pill and now she knows how I feel when I get them and she said she was never in as much pain her life.

Thread Information