Thread: Bupropion/ Welbutrin

Bupropion/ Welbutrin

Has anyone ever tried this? My friend in America takes it and wikipedia describes it as one of the few medications not to cause weight gain. Something I am very interested in as I had to stop Mirt because of bloating and fear of weight increase and my GPs next suggestion is Pregabalin also linked to weight gain and fluid retention.

I am back on prozac for my body dysmorphic feelings raised by the Mirtazapine but that does nothing for my mood and anxiety.

Kate

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

Think i have answered my own question. It's not registered for use with anxiety or depression in the UK.

Another one which is not thought to produce weight gain is duloxetine /cymbalta?

Re: Bupropion/ Welbutrin

[QUOTE=WolfieKate;888213]Has anyone ever tried this? My friend in America takes it and wikipedia describes it as one of the few medications not to cause weight gain.

Hi,

Has anyone ever tried this? My friend in America takes it and wikipedia describes it as one of the few medications not to cause weight gain. Something I am very interested in
    Here in Australia, Bupropion is not in the list of antidepressants.
    It only comes under the name ZYBAN for smoking cessation.

Well, honestly, back in 98, I tried it, and suddenly I felt dizzy, maybe, I could not tolerate it, as everyone reacts differently even to the same medication, I supposed.

Something I am very interested in as I had to stop Mirt because of bloating and fear of weight increase and my GPs next suggestion is Pregabalin also linked to weight gain and fluid retention.
    I have been on Mitazapine for about 3.5 yrs at the dose 90mg at night.
    I agree with you, everytime I take it, i would search for Carbohydrate food, like anything that is sweet, and make mu stomach full.
    I am 75kg, even taking it, my weight is still the same. ( Every one reacts differently even to the same medication)

I am back on prozac for my body dysmorphic feelings raised by the Mirtazapine but that does nothing for my mood and anxiety.

I feel the same too, as for my condition, instead of giving Hypnotics ( Stilnox, Temazepam, My Psychiatrist puts me on Mirtazapine.
    I take it at night. And I agree with you that Mirtazapine doesn't do much about my Anxiety, Panic Disorder)

Regards,
    Dave

I asked my GP about this drug and I was told it was not normally prescribed and that I would have to see a psychiatrist about it. I did this last Thursday and was told unequivocally No, this drug is not approved in this country and therefore it could not be prescribed. Likewise Adderall. It seems in the States the regulations are a lot less strict than here but maybe that's a good thing with the greed of the pharmaceuticals over there. I just feel sometimes doctors are a little bit close-minded here when it comes to alternative treatments for depression. At least that's my experience.
    Weight is also a big issue for me and Venlaflaxine certainly caused me to gain extra pounds whilst having no psychological benefits at all.

I'm in the US and I take Buspar (buproprion). It is an anti anxiety medication, in its own class. It has not caused weight gain for me. I'm surprised to hear that it is not approved in other countries. It is actually a much safer alternative than Benzo's for those (like myself) who do not tolerate SSRI's.

Hi Beth0277,

It's important to clear names up - Buspar is buspirone, not bupropion, so check carefully which one you are taking on the box!

Both buspirone and bupropion have been prescribed for anxiety, and neither is an SSRI. Bupropion is one of the few drugs prescribed for anxiety / depression that have produced demonstrated weight loss in studies.

Hanshan

Thread Information