Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Endoscopy and Sedation

Endoscopy and Sedation

After reading a few of the other threads I thought I should clarify a point about sedation.

It seems from some of you (not sure which countries) had sedation rather than a throat spray and as a result you was completely out of the game, effectively you was asleep.

I have had two endoscopies with my first being with sedation and this is not my memory of it at all so sedation could well mean different levels of sedation in different parts of the world. I speak for sedation in the UK and this merely made me a bit drowsy but I wasnt asleep and it made for a drawn out uncomfortable examination lasting about 10 minutes longer than with the spray. I remember i was gagging on the endoscope quite a bit and found it hard to relax and breath.

I compare this to my recent endo where I had the throat spray and it was literally in, spray throat, lie down, insert camera, 2 to 3 minutes looking around then out. swallowing the endoscope tip wasnt nice but i tell you what it was far better than my experience of it under sdeation. although i had a slight gag reflex it was much easier to overcome than when i had the sedation.

I just thought it best to raise a bit of awareness in case everyone thought sedation wherever you are means you simply go to sleep. I dont think this is the case.

what do you remember about your endoscopy?

Re: Endoscopy and Sedation

Thanks for that Stuart. I had an endoscopy many years ago. In those days it meant having a full general anaesthetic!!!! It's so much quicker nowadays.

indeed and there is all the usual risks associated with a general and you stay in hospital is much longer.

I was unable to be sedated for mine, as I was an in-patient and had been on a drip of strong pain relief medication (morphine etc) which could not be mixed with the sedation drug. I was told I would be sedated until we got in the room and before I knew it I had a tube shoved down my throat! I have to say, if given the option, I would have chosen to be sedated. I remember every second of the procedure and it wasn't particularly pleasant!

I had my endoscopy this morning. Under sedation. To be honest I don't remember much at all. I remember the green mouth guard thing they put in my mouth, and I remember lying on my left side. I can't remember having to gulp the tip down, nor how it felt inside. It was over very quickly.

I was given the spray and sedation and I couldn't go through with it as I was panicking and gagging so much. I have a really bad gag reflex. The sedative had no effect on me at all.

This was a couple of years ago. Since then I have been taking omeprazole for the acid reflux. Most mornings I wake up feeling really sick because of all the acid that has come up during the night. I have my bed elevated and sleep on my left side. I avoid all the potential food and drink triggers for reflux but still get the damn stuff!

I really should try and have an endoscopy done again as something is not right, but it would be impossible at the moment as its nearly two years since I have left the house due to panic disorder with agoraphobia.

Hi Stuart39, I have twice had Endoscopy with sedation and after being taken from the ward to the Endoscopy room then given the sedative my next memory is waking up back in the ward, dont remember anything else.

I had a colonoscopy earlier this year with sedation and I can remember everything and didn't even feel woozy afterwards.

I had sedation and I can't remember anything about it at all

I had my procedure last week and was given sedation. I remember having the green mouthguard put in my mouth and the next memory was trying to find my glasses in the recovery ward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information