Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please can this Doctor join?

Please can this Doctor join?

Hi everyone.....yes I am a Doc with Post viral syndrome, anxiety, panic attacks, resolving depression, insomnia , nausea and loss of apetite. I was admittedly working very hard being a single handed GP and a Police surgeon till last Nov when I hit the buffers and stopped all work for the 1st time in 28 yrs. I managed to get back part time jan to march , but had to stop again due to the severe fatigue, insomnia, panic, anxiety and nausea. I started seeing a psychiatrist weekly, a psychologist weekly and an acupuncturist weekly. The psychiatrist put me on Cipralex and Zopiclone, the psychologist started CBT and the acupuncturist sticks needles in me. Its a bit of a living nightmare/groundhog day scenario, not having had a day off sick for 28 yrs I find it very difficult....the boredom is the worst. My patients are desperate for me to return but the anxiety about returning stops me. I am sure it will make me a better Doctor in the long run. I guess the first step is to try to come off the Zopiclone........as a patient I am having to take advice, the doctor in me tells me how irrational it all is but it is very difficult to control isn't it. So I am left with nausea , lack of apetite and anxiety on a daily basis.....not a very good position for someone who was used to working (too) hard.....any tips or hints gratefully received
    Mike

Hi Mike
    Of course you are very welcome, there are lots of us in professional jobs that have got too overworked and stressed and hit the panic anxiety button, and wham your body goes into overdrive. As a dr you don't need me to tell you what's happening to your body, nervous system etc. You've probably had to deal with patients in this situation a lot - doesn't make it easier I know. I have found relaxation has helped, aromatherapy oils - soothing and anti-anxiety ones burning and used in massage have helped too. Bachs Rescue remedy for panic, Kalms and i have to say I have resorted to the odd diazepam or two but I'm keeping an eye on that and don't want to use them too much. Starting some CBT possibly but may just go see private counsellor who knows me better. talking and sharing experiences helps, that's why this forum and chat are so good. Sorry you are feeling so rough, but it will improve and you will find strength through this experience.
    Take care

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

Hi Mike,

A big welcome to the site.

First thing is to accept anxiety for what it is; a nervous condition and not a physical one.

Secondly, don't worry about the fact that you are not there at the surgery and put yourself first. There will be others to fill your shoes. I'm sure patients will miss you, but it will also give them the opportunity to be enlightened byanother GP with a fresh pair of eyes.

Thirdly, how are you adjusting to the change and filling your day?
    I have my photography hobby, and also attend groups at my local mental health resource centre, one of which I started up myself.

Take Care,

Ray
    http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Hi Mike

As Ray & Daisy say a big warm welcome to the forum..

Im sure you will get all the advice, help, support & chat you need to get back onto the right track.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
    In & Out Of Your Life
    But Only True Friends
    Will Leave Footprints
    In Your Heart

hi there
    you will find this site a god send have yoe read any books by dr Clare Weekes they really helped me at first
    Dan

Welcome to the site
    I have had panic attacks for years and have just started hypnotherapy today to help me calm myself down by breathing correctly as being asthmatic I am a chronic hyperventilator!! Good luck and keep using the site as its so helpful. Wenjoy x

Welcome to the forum it really is a god send.You will get all the help and advice you will need here from people that will really understand you.Unless youve lived and breathed anxiety theres no chance of really understanding it!You will be back to normal with the relaxation you need and support in good time.xxx

Hi Mike

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Sorry to hear you are suffering - we all know how hard it is.

I hope you find some help and support here and soon make a recovery and get back to your very valuable job.

Nicola

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care
    Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the site, i hope you find a lot of help and comfort here, it has helped me tremendously knowing that so many other people are going through the same things.

Take care.

Marie XXX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information