Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting Citalopram today and incredibly nervous

Starting Citalopram today and incredibly nervous

Hi, my name's Ben and today I'm meant to be starting on 10 mg of Citalopram for my anxiety (which I've had for almost 2 years now) and I'm very nervous about it mainly because of 2 things:

1. I've never had to take any kind of medication like this before. I've always tried to go on without it and a lot of the time I've managed to (with difficulty but I managed) however in the last couple of months the negative and irrational thoughts I've been having, have really made me a lot more anxious and made medication a more likely option now.

2. The possible side effect of having suicidal thoughts. This scares me a lot because a couple months ago I had gotten really panicky one morning, felt quite vulnerable afterwards and then had a fear of losing control and somehow harming myself. The thought really upset me (as I've never even been close to wanting to harm myself before), and I've had the recurring thought ever since, again upsetting me each time because I focus on it so much, almost tricking myself into thinking it will happen. So the possibility of the side effect happening has got me incredibly nervous and upset.

I also read that the effect is more common in younger people, and being 20 years old (well 21 in a week's time) has again fed my fear that it will definitely happen to me. The other side effects make me nervous but I'm not as worried about them.

So I was simply wondering if anyone had advice for a newbie about to start taking Citalopram.
    Thanks in advance

Re: Starting Citalopram today and incredibly nervous

hi hun the first week is always the worst i have had nausea dizziness heightened anxiety feelings of pins and needles in my hands and face not eating and head crawling i know it sounds bad but it is the side effects of the tablets which you have to keep telling yourself but after day 5 i am starting to feel better so chin up just stay strong and think that in the long run you will start to feel better once you get past the horrible first few days you may not get as many side effects if none at all and remember to keep posting on here let us know how you are getting on xxxx

hi ya im on my 2nd day of takin cit and like emmi i and experiencing nausea dizziness and have stayed in bed for the last 2 days. the oly thing keeping me taking the meds is knowing (hoping) it wont last long. but after reading some other posts it seems people still get SE after a few months of taking it. i will give the drug a month and will self assess how i am feeling before deciding if i will continue taking cit or not.

good luck x

Hi all,

I'm on my 5th day now of 20mg a day. The first two days of it were pretty bad, but I made it to work on Monday and just felt a bit out of it all day and struggled to concentrate. Yesterday was a lot better but just felt really tired as it has been interfering with my sleep quite a bit. Slept really well last night but have had a bit of a wobbly day today with my anxiety, but other than that, feeling a lot better.

Stick with it, I'm sure it'll get easier for you

Angela

Or you might be one of the lucky ones like me who haven't really had any significant side effects. Apart from a bit of flatulence that is!

Thanks for the replies guys, I find it interesting hearing your experiences in the early days of taking Cit. I didn't actually get the chance I wanted to take it this morning (plus I didn't want to take it at night), so the new plan is to take it first thing tomorrow morning so I'll update with how my first few days go.

let us know how you get on hunni x

Hi

I orginally got my prescription for 10mg of cit last December. For the past year I have been trying to build up the courage to take it! I have emetophobia and one of the side effects is vomiting and nausea hence why I couldnt take it. But I know it will help me in the long run.

Anyway..... I finally started it! I am on day 13 today. I have been taking 5mg to minimise side effects.

Side effects for me ( I think althought it might be in my head at such a small dose!) are slight nausea and not being able to sleep at night. I am taking my pill with my lunch at midday. Taking it in the morning made me feel worse (sicky) so that might be an option.

I am hoping to go up to 7.5mg and then 10mg in the next week or so, I am taking it slowly.

I am proud of myself and really hope that helps me change my life.

Please take it if you need it. I am sure it will help. You may not have any side effects at all. Maybe take 5mg for a day or 2 and see how you go.

Please let us know how you get on.

I'm very happy to hear that you are doing well with your cit so far! and I am going to do what you said and start with 5mg for a couple of days (about to take one), and see how I go.

fab news! Yes please take it.

Also make sure you keep busy, don't dwell on what the side effects "might be" Fingers crossed they are mild for you.

As soon as I sit down and starting thinking I force myself to get up and do something. I have the cleanest house ever since starting cit in an effort to distract my mind!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information