Thread: Abnormal Smear

Abnormal Smear

Ok so i only just got the courage to get a smear done after bad HA, I was 6 months late im 25.
    So after worrying so much about the results i now have abnormal BORDERLINE result and have to be tested again in 6 months ive been crying all morning and cant seem to think straight im so so scared. xxxxxx

---------- Post added at 14:21 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

Just bit of reasurence really is all im looking for

Re: Abnormal Smear

This happens to many women. It's happened to me. It is scary, but it's highly unlikely there is anything wrong - they'd be recalling you quicker than 6 months otherwise.

Try not to worry. If you do feel/see anything different from usual, tell your doc.

Ok thanx hun, have had a lot going on at the mo with my child having a operation etc just feels like such bad timing! thanks xxx

Hey
    dont worry this happenend to me 15 years ago and I had some abnormal cells removed from my cervix as I had two abnormal smears. The cells were analysed and it WASNT cancer but it scared the life out of me-I thought I was going to die. The fact they are reviewing you again in 6 months means they are giving the borderline result time to go back to being a normal one. If you have a second abnormal reading then you may have a biopsy-JUST TO BE SURE.As Chem said its actually more common than you realise I have a few friends who ve all had the same happen - and we re all still here. xx

I got one this week too! (Borderline change result) TBH, it's the only thing I'm NOT worrying about

It is very common and you are not even registering on the first scale of concern for abnormal smear results (grade 1-3 comes after borderline changes and even at grade 3, any changes are 100% treatable) Borderline results can be caused by so many things; infection, cervical inflammation, menstrual cycle being due... Please don't worry.

Also it is worth knowing that cervical cancer is a very treatable cancer if it is detected early. And we know how they are detected; by smear tests. If all women went for their routine smears and acted on any follow-ups, there would be hardly any deaths from cervical cancer. You have nothing to fear.

Yep I had one bad smear result when I was in my mid twenties and I had to be monitored three months and six months later. Eventually the abnormal cells changed back to normal. This is a very common occurance and at least you are being monitored. If the result was a bad one you would have been brought back in straight away!

Thanx girls you dont no how reasured i now feel!! ive been so worried about it, think cos its my first one i just exspected it to be ok! thanks again xxx

Just wondering..to be exact..you have high risk/low risk hpv? I had high risk abnormal cells..they were able to biopsy and determine it was mild..so I didn't have to come back till 6 months later. I went in again..they found it again..removed it..still was mild..won't see me again now for another year since nothing changed. I'm assuming you had a biopsy..? It's not a big deal..it's good to get monitored for it..rather than not getting it checked out.

No hun, I had a smeartest then a letter to say the results were borderline and have to return in 6 months xx

Strange they didn't think a colposcopy wasn't necessary..? I guess each doctor is different, I suppose...

Thread Information