Thread: Contamination my biggest OCD

Red face Contamination my biggest OCD

Lately I have become too obsessed with everything contaminating me. If I drop a glass bottle I fear the glass will some how enter my body or If I touch a bleach bottle it will some how be on my hands and enter my body. I go through about 20 tooth brushes a month in fear cleaning materials got on my brush. Sometimes I get imaginary tastes or I get pictures of some awful thing happen where I become ill from contamination..everything worries me every surface almost.

Anybody else get this?

Re: Contamination my biggest OCD

Not now but I have done before. you think it'll keep you safe but it really doesn't, just makes your life a misery. try one day, where you are completely self-conscious about not being compulsive and act completely rationally. Unfortunately many people with OCD with continue to act like this even though they know it's irrational. But you can only try

There is nothing logical about worry...all one can do is minimize risk of falling ill. For instance, wash hands once only after using toilet/or before eating. Clean counters before and after making food, cook food thoroughly...and put in fridge within an hour. As for the toothbrush problem...id say just soak it in mouthwash or hydrogen peroxide for overnight each day and then keep ur brush for the recommended 3 months. even put a cover on the top of it if seriously worried. And when using cleaning products, wear latex gloves and make sure to open windows for ventilation.... hope these tips helped. Remember, not all germs are bad...some help strenghten our immunity. Thats why i dont use antibacterial soap, only regular is best.

I have OCD and i too fear contamination in all forms... Stupid really as im a highy trained Hazmat emergency responder that is part of an emergency rescue and chemical rendering team. I have the most impressive PPE collection though :-p

I wonder whether anyone here has contamination worries without the concern over getting ill. I fear being contaminated with other people's bodily secretions. It disgusts me but no fears of consequences. Then sometimes the items just end up giving me the creeps. It is severe enough to prevent me from living normally. I have gotten better in the past but then over the past ten years got worse again. I hate it, but as many therapies like to show you that nothing bad will happen as a consequence they are less likely to work for me as it can be very psychological and I fear that if I go ahead and mix contaminated items and the therapy does not work then I end up having to throw items out and lose things that way.

I also fear going to a therapist as they make people touch public bathrooms, something I would never do anyway, and if people in their office has been contaminating things or not washing (the other way, i.e. less than normal), then it is tough for me to enter the area (i.e. the therapist's office) to begin with.

Thread Information