Thread: New to Propranolol and Fluoxetine

1. New to Propranolol and Fluoxetine

Hi there

Had my first panic attack last Wednesday while I was asleep and my life has been turned upside down with anxiety, panic attacks plus insomnia, anyway Doctor has prescribed me 80mg Propranolol and 20mg Fluoextine, Just wondered if anyone else is taking the same combination and how you are getting on with them?

One scared Man feels more like a boy

Re: New to Propranolol and Fluoxetine

It's horrid, isn't it?

I take Propranolol with Lithium, so sorry I can't help with your combination. When you read this, if you scroll to the very bottom of the page you'll see titles of other threads from people who are taking Fluoxetine too.

3. Re: New to Propranolol and Fluoxetine

Hi there

Thanks for tip about scrolling to the bottom, a couple of threads to look at.
    Yes it is horrid, its 2:40AM and im shattered, I had an attck about 12:30 and in bits, only had this 5 days and its ruined my life.

Grown man? more like scared boy

keep your head up, keep your heart strong
    keep your mind safe, keep your heart strong

Hi Gasman

I take this combination of meds and they are working well for me. I have 10mg Propranolol morning and evening and I take 20mg Fluoxetine daily.
    I have no side effects from either med. Fluoxetine will take a wee while to kick in but once it does im sure you will start to feel the change.
    Im sorry to hear you are feeling so bad at the minute but you will get your life back.

Maw x

5. Re: New to Propranolol and Fluoxetine

Hi and thanks for the responce, I think im just going to have to ride this out for a couple of weeks and see how I go?

Tired and confused

Grown man? more like scared boy

keep your head up, keep your heart strong
    keep your mind safe, keep your heart strong

Hi

I take this combination of medication.....40mg propranalol (3 times a day) and 20mg fluoxetine (twice daily). It did take a while for the meds to kick-in and my use is for both depression and anxiety.....I have been taking these meds for almost 2 years now and find this the best combination for me having tried alternatives prior to these...A few weeks ago I stupidly thought I would try to do without them.......needless to say I have been feeling terrible and have has tightness in chest ....so I am back taking them again. Hopefully in a few weeks time I will be feeling better again. Hope your starting to feel better

Prop helped me to deal with the physical side of anxiety but not the mental so I was taken off these & put on Prozac instead. 4 months on & they have kicked in & life is brighter.
    Looking back I wished I would have been kept on Prop while the Prozac took time to kick in as I did suffer for the first few weeks.

It's not easy but there is light at the end of it...keep going & stay strong. Believe things will get better. Meds are not a cure all, you need to believe in yourself as well.
    Good luck

v. survived, surviving, survives
    v.intr. 1. To remain alive or in existence.
    2. To carry on despite hardships or trauma; persevere
    3. To remain functional or usable

v.tr. 1. To live longer than; outlive
    2. To live, persist, or remain usable through
    3. To cope with (a trauma or setback); persevere after

Thread Information