Thread: Am I relapsing?

Am I relapsing?

Hi all,
    I was diagnosed with anxiety/panic disorder back in july. I was having daily panic attacks, couldnt leave the house etc.

Dr put me on 30mg mirtazapine and 5mg valium daily but i only take them if required or before going out before a trigger situation. I've been on mirt for 4 months now, and was going pretty good. Panic attacks had settled down to just general anxiety and i felt i was in control again.

Well today... OMG. Worst panic attack ever that just came completely out of nowhere. Woke up and bang it hit me. That same familiar sense of doom, sheer terror, churning tummy, shaking like a motor. Took 7.5mg valium over the course of an hour, did nothing. Seriously this panic attack lasted 3 1/2 hours. Im still feeling the after shocks of it and am absolutely exhausted and just crying with despair cos i thought i was getting better :(

Whats happening to me? Noone should have to live like this. I could usually get myself out of a panic attack with deep breathing and telling myself this will pass, but this didnt pass!! Not for almost 4 hours :( I dont understand it?? Am i relapsing or is the mirt not working? One thing that I will say is i have a bit of a cold, sore throat and a bit feverish could this be the cause?

Could someone pls offer me some hope? I cant go on like this, i am at my wits end. Nooone should have to live with the terror these panic attacks cause. To me this isnt living. I feel like im at rock bottom again. I have been trying so hard, and doing pretty well and I dont know if i can handle this again :(

Re: Am I relapsing?

Hiya, having a cold and sore throat alone can make anyone feel a bit shaky, tired, hot,cold, dizzy and so on, add in a panic attack and its no fun at all.
    3 hours or more isnt that unusual hun, its not one attack, its many happening one after the other, it just feels like its one huge attack because there is no respite in between.

Re: Am I relapsing?

Hi Starshine,

Try not to get too worried if this is just a one off, especially if you are already feeling ill. I would find that illness, tiredness and being hungover could trigger my panics, and they would last for ages (until I fell asleep). If they do come back more frequently then it might be an idea to go back to your doctor or psy and ask for something else. This happened to me, and I ended up on 45mg mirtazipine and 150mg effexor - the combination was the best ever treatment I've had, although the effexor had many side effects at first and was horrific to come off.

Try not to worry on this one off though - nor if it happens, but infrequently. But if you do feel like you are relapsing then you know just go back to your doctor and get sorted. x

Thread Information