Thread: Can't tolerate meds...what can I do?

Can't tolerate meds...what can I do?

I have tried Citalopram and only managed 8 days due to panic attacks, I then went on Mirtazapine which I tolerated well, but it didn't help my anxiety. Yesterday I tried a very low dose of sertraline and it was absolute HELL, I had the biggest panic attack I have ever had and I am too scared to take another dose.

The dr's are getting fed up with me I think because I can't seem to stick to anything because of the side effects. I feel like a pathetic failure who has no bravery whatsoever and I haven't been able to get better on my own so far despite having counselling. I have been like this since June.

Has anyone else had this problem with meds? I know if I go back to the dr's they will just tut and tell me I just need to push through the side effects, but I have 2 kids to look after which I can't do very well feeling so ill and panicky.

I need advice.

Re: Can't tolerate meds...what can I do?

Hi have u asked ur doc for diazepam to help u thro the side effects? these were a godsend to me when i started cit cause i had awful side effects that took weeks to settle down, might be worth asking? xx

I do have some diazepam, but I didn't take any when I had the panic because I take temazepam to help me sleep and I wasn't sure I could take both.

But I felt so awful that even my normal anxiety and panic isn't as bad as it was on the Sertraline. I'm thinking of trying the Cit again, because even though it was awful, I don't remember it being as bad as the Sertraline.

Ive used diazepam and temazepam together, infact my doc prescribed them together! cit really heightened my anxiety and thank god i had diazepam to help me, my doc said at the time i could take 4mg 3 x a day to help, maybe u could try cit at a starting dose of 5mg?? xx

I have been recently trying to make the decision a sto whether to try meds or not, i have never been on anti-depressants before so do not know how i will re-act to them, I have sever m.e and as a reult of the illness i some times get quite down and anxious. i tend to be quite sensitive to things including foods meds chemicals skin etc, so the thought of the side effects on top of how poorly i am terrifies me, but at the same time i know that trying meds is the right thing to do.

I spoke with my doctor on the phone yeterday, as dhe gave me cit 10mg well over 6 months ago but i just can't bring myself to try them, the only reason that is stoppping me is the fear of the possible side effect, i asked her if she could instead prescribe me liquid cit, so i can start on a really tiny dose and go up in very small amounts, i know this way will take a long time but i have been so ill for so long i would prefer to take it slow and minimise side effects as i am more likely to grin and bear it this way. She has agreed to this, and although slightly reluctant due to it being more expensive, as i would only need the liquid form short term she has arranged my prescription. just got to find the courage to actually take it now

If you are thinking of trying the cit, maybe you could ask your doctor for the liquid too, the doctor explained it to me that the side effects are dose dependant and any side effect you may get, your body becomes tolerant too, so doing it this way really should help minimise side effects.
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by Katie6 View Post
    I have been recently trying to make the decision a sto whether to try meds or not, i have never been on anti-depressants before so do not know how i will re-act to them, I have sever m.e and as a reult of the illness i some times get quite down and anxious. i tend to be quite sensitive to things including foods meds chemicals skin etc, so the thought of the side effects on top of how poorly i am terrifies me, but at the same time i know that trying meds is the right thing to do.

I spoke with my doctor on the phone yeterday, as dhe gave me cit 10mg well over 6 months ago but i just can't bring myself to try them, the only reason that is stoppping me is the fear of the possible side effect, i asked her if she could instead prescribe me liquid cit, so i can start on a really tiny dose and go up in very small amounts, i know this way will take a long time but i have been so ill for so long i would prefer to take it slow and minimise side effects as i am more likely to grin and bear it this way. She has agreed to this, and although slightly reluctant due to it being more expensive, as i would only need the liquid form short term she has arranged my prescription. just got to find the courage to actually take it now

If you are thinking of trying the cit, maybe you could ask your doctor for the liquid too, the doctor explained it to me that the side effects are dose dependant and any side effect you may get, your body becomes tolerant too, so doing it this way really should help minimise side effects.
    xx
    It was the liquid form of Sertraline that I tried and even a small dose was horrid for me. I am realising now that the Citalopram side effects weren't as bad, I guess I am just a pathetic wuss.

I am going to speak to the mental health team for advice.

Has your doctor discussed Tricyclic antidepressants with you for their anxiolytic properties? They tend to have strong side effects, but these are usually sedation rather than heightened anxiety states, and if you've reacted badly to two SSRIs then they are usually the next step.

Don't worry about your doctor getting sick of you, finding the right medication is very much trial and error. Not many people find success with the first one (or three) they try. And without you, they wouldn't get paid!

It could also be the case that antidepressants simply aren't the route for you. I have much more success with beta-blockers for anxiety and panic, with far fewer side effects.

But as stated above, if you're not tolerating meds because of side effects, a low dose of diazepam as needed is pretty standard practice. I wouldn't have tolerated anything without them.

Good luck, hope it gets sorted soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jitters View Post
    Has your doctor discussed Tricyclic antidepressants with you for their anxiolytic properties? They tend to have strong side effects, but these are usually sedation rather than heightened anxiety states, and if you've reacted badly to two SSRIs then they are usually the next step.

Don't worry about your doctor getting sick of you, finding the right medication is very much trial and error. Not many people find success with the first one (or three) they try. And without you, they wouldn't get paid!

It could also be the case that antidepressants simply aren't the route for you. I have much more success with beta-blockers for anxiety and panic, with far fewer side effects.

But as stated above, if you're not tolerating meds because of side effects, a low dose of diazepam as needed is pretty standard practice. I wouldn't have tolerated anything without them.

Good luck, hope it gets sorted soon!
    Thanks Mr Jitters, but I think the problem that the dr will have with me is that I have only taken the Setraline once as the experience was so awful. I have to say, I didn't take it today and I feel 300 times better than yesterday even with my anxiety and panic. It almost felt like I was poisoning myself.

I have Diazapam and I also have some propanolol (again I only took that once, but realise now that most of the side effects I got were from a nasty virus I was coming down with), so I may try the propanolol again. I am also working on an online CBT course to conquer panic which is helping me to understand how to deal with my panic and anxiety.

Thread Information