Thread: On day 5.. Will I suddenly get side effects now??

On day 5.. Will I suddenly get side effects now??

Hi all,
    I'm now on day 5 of citalopram 10mg.. It's taken me years to start this medication as I was soo scared of the side effects I read about! I have a huge vomit phobia so was scared it'd make me sick!
    Iv been pretty much ok on these tablets - no harsh side effects an nothing I couldn't handle. Felt alittle spaced out an dizzy but have been fine!
    I'm now scared il suddenly get some horrible side effects as I can't believe il continue being ok on these after all the horror stories iv read!
    Iv started feeling abit sick today, however I have started my period an it could all be in my mind bcos I'm waiting for something to happen!
    I was just wondering if anyone has been ok for 5-6 days then suddenly got ill on these or should I be ok now as the tablets have already been in my body for 5 days?
    I'm scared il start vomitting! x

Re: On day 5.. Will I suddenly get side effects now??

Hi you are doing fine, not everyone gets the side effects, i myself was never physically sick when starting them , don't look for them, you may be very lucky and have none. go with it, and good luck x

They've not made me physically sick, just a bit nauseaous, its tiredness thats just got to me however that could just be my body finally relaxing, its forgotten what its like

I've been drinking peppermint tea to get me through the nausea and its subsided now i'm on day 15 and they've bumped me up to 20mg and my appetite is coming back which is probably what's been giving me the nausea in the first place.

I think its easy to say its side effects that cause things but the reality for me has been its been the anxiety thats made me feel like this anyway, I just wouldn't admit it.

Hi Claire,

I too have emetophobia and its taken me nearly a year to get the courage to start these tablets. I was such a wimp worrying about the side effects I started on 2.5mg! then went up to 5mg and then 8 days ago went up to 10mg.

I started to feel the effects on about day 2 of 10mg, a little bit queasy and a churning stomach, I have also been drinking gallons of peppermint tea to make me feel better. I think if you are fine so far you will probably be ok from hereon in.

I think sometimes, and definitely for me you so expect you are going to get side effects you almost talk yourself into having them! Try and stay calm, relaxed and keep yourself occupied (and keep drinking the peppermint tea like me!)

Thank you for your replies - and you're definitly right, i can talk myself into having all the side effects! lol I had myself 6-feet under before i had even taken the first tablet

I will try the peppermint tea, thank you! Have also asked my dad to get some ginger biscuits whilst hes out to help the nausea... i think its all in my mind, (or because of my period) as iv eaten lunch and feel ok now... just very very tired like you Chappers1980.... i feel exhausted, never yawned this much in my life! lol.

Im hoping i dont get some nasty side effects even after the 5 days.. i just want to feel the benefits of this medication now, instead of the draining side effects.

xx

Im not a doctor but i suggest not going on them! theres natural remedies. Try aromatherapy, rescue remedy or even meditation etc. Pharmaceutical drugs make u sicker so u become dependant on them so they can make money. Im on 40 weaning off because i didnt know better and did what the doctor told me to do. Im now regretting it fully!

Quote Originally Posted by kishi View Post
    Im not a doctor but i suggest not going on them! theres natural remedies. Try aromatherapy, rescue remedy or even meditation etc. Pharmaceutical drugs make u sicker so u become dependant on them so they can make money. Im on 40 weaning off because i didnt know better and did what the doctor told me to do. Im now regretting it fully!
    Alot of people have found that citalopram has helped them get their life back, each to their own but this prob isn't the sort of advice she needs right now!! when you've struggled with anxiety and panic for yrs then sometimes meds is the only answer and if they help then i don't see a problem! good luck with coming off them and i hope the alternative works for u xx

Thankyou for your replies.
    Iv had panic attacks an severe anxiety for 12 years now.. Iv tried cbt twice, hypnotherapy, counselling, EFT, an yoga/meditation an although they have given me a short relief, they have not worked. Medication is my last option.. It's taken me years to finally accept I need help from tablets an I'm glad iv finally started them.
    I know for some people they do not work or make you feel unwell but so far I'm doing ok an I'm very positive theyl do some good.
    Good luck with coming off yours an I hope you find something that works for you x

Thread Information