Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just been prescibed mirtazapine

Just been prescibed mirtazapine

Hi, i just was prescribed this today by my gp for anxiety and depression. Any advice (like is it ok to have a glass or three of wine!) and how groggy does it make you the next day would be hugely appreciated. I've taken other anti-d's in the past for pnd, but this sounds quite different.
    Thanks for reading X

Re: Just been prescibed mirtazapine

Hi Deedee

Mirtazipine worked really well for me and totally turned my life around. I have taken other meds before but I found this one to have less of the awful side effects that can often be felt when first taking meds.

I did feel drowsy for the first few days of taking it but once you get used to it this should pass. You do need to give it at least 4 weeks to start working and you may feel worse before feeling better...we are all different so you can only take it and see how it effects you.

I did gain weight on it but to be honest that was the least of my problems and I worried about that when I got better and managed to lose the weight I gained on it. I now only take 7.5mg and intend to stay on this dose for the forseeable future.

I wish you luck with it.

A few of us take it on here so post away for support.

Jo.x

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDeeBel View Post
    Hi, i just was prescribed this today by my gp for anxiety and depression. Any advice (like is it ok to have a glass or three of wine!) and how groggy does it make you the next day would be hugely appreciated. I've taken other anti-d's in the past for pnd, but this sounds quite different.
    Thanks for reading X
    Defintely not the wine. I manage one glass. On my mirtazapine 45mg tablets it says avoid alcohol. EJ

Hi DeeDeebel

Been on Mirt for a week and I have to say I am feeling better thanI have done for a long time. It knocks me out when I take it and for the first couple of days I felt pretty wiped out but after that I seemed to have more energy in the day time.

Haven't tried any wine yet. I like a drink but I am going to leave it while before I try it.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richie-j View Post
    Hi DeeDeebel

Been on Mirt for a week and I have to say I am feeling better thanI have done for a long time. It knocks me out when I take it and for the first couple of days I felt pretty wiped out but after that I seemed to have more energy in the day time.

Haven't tried any wine yet. I like a drink but I am going to leave it while before I try it.

Rich
    A week? that's promising! I have had wine, and it knocked me out! So, have to watch that... But the positive results I've read here have given me hope- it would be nice to lift this gloomy cloud. It has already increased my appetite, I'd been struggling to eat at all for weeks and yesterday I ate lunch, dinner and a pain au chocolat that was lurking in my husbands bag!

Not to encourage drinking or anything ...but my dr said it would be fine to have a drink (in moderation, he quickly added!). I expect having a drink made the exhaustion and tiredness worse, but at least I didn't have the additional worry that I'd be a dull boring tee-totaller blob in the corner of the pub! (I hasten to add that tee-totallers aren't dull boring blobs anyway, but that is what my anxious depressed brain was telling me!)

Hi

I find that I cannot drink as much as I used to before mirtazipine (that sounds bad!!) I have never been a heavy drinker but now I find the odd glass of malibu or rose knocks me out and I just feel so tired.

Jo.x

Actually not had any major probleems with mirtazapine, have had some wine and just found it makes me a bit more sleepy- nothing drastic. Which is good! Still waiting for mood to lift (8 days into treatment), but external factors have set any recovery from anxiety and depression caused by stress back a lot. Am a bit of a mess at the mo- really hoping to feel better soon. Trouble at work (I haven't been in for two days due to awful atmosphere and railroading disciplinary shite), has set me back a lot. Grrrrr

Hi. I am also 8 days in and waiting for mood to lift. I'm on 15mg to start but going back to docs next week and expect to have this increased. I am so impatient and want results now but know that it takes a while. No adverse side effects and no increase in appetite yet. Also have external factors affecting my recovery. Good luck.

I never really had any problems with drinking on it, it probably increased drowsiness when I took the med after drinking, but it has to be said that heavy drinking might well have been the reason this med did not work for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information