Thread: friends not understanding anxiety, not a good indication of friendship ?

friends not understanding anxiety, not a good indication of friendship ?

if anyone can relate or just shooting thoughts...think ive read some similar stories...

ive had ppl i thought were friends dump me about a year before i clicked on nmp, because of the anx. i thought they were real friends and i think they were, they just couldn't be bothered with it..

also when ive been honest to some people about it theyve taken the ****. so a lot of trying to hide reality
    Last edited by evil monkey; 09-11-11 at 08:02.

Re: friends not understanding anxiety, not a good indication of friendship ?

You find out who your friends are when you have anxiety problems.

the truth is people who dont suffer with this .find it hard to understand,it not they they dont want to be your friend ,its that they dont know how to help ,maybe if you sat and talked to your friend about how you feel ,,it does help

If theyve dumped you because of your anxiety, then they dont deserve you in the first place. Unconditional friendships mean they accept you for what you are, all of you, anxiety and all.

Hello Em
    I know what you mean. Sometimes I wonder how many can be so selfish .
    so many people are so into them selves. They give s-d all about any one else.
    "Oh come on " they say. I feel like shouting for god sake LISTEN to me. but they don't want to know or they have not got time.
    I am so glad I found NMP at least I know I can talk and people will listen to me.
    Yes I have had people take the ****out of me.and it plays on my mind.
    Its just that i cannot think of a good response to reply.
    Take care

Quote Originally Posted by gypsywomen View Post
    the truth is people who dont suffer with this .find it hard to understand,it not they they dont want to be your friend ,its that they dont know how to help ,maybe if you sat and talked to your friend about how you feel ,,it does help
    I agree with this above all other replies

In my humble opinion, lack of understanding or of knowing how to deal with things that are difficult (as this is) is the biggest single reason for relationships to drift apart. When Mum died even people who had already lost people close to them didn't know how to 'properly' talk to me about it, and I lost friendships there (even from people who were very much older, and you would think - having lost people themselves - wiser and able to offer words of advice).

I think people often shy away from things they feel uncomfortable with. It's a weakness, but it's understandable...

You are the strong one here, it's you who have the most control over this! By talking to them and persevering if you can, you will help them to understand you I think

Please please please don't give up on your relationships!!! I did with a few people when I first got anxiety and depression, and I really wish I hadn't! If I had just been more honest and open (I know it's really hard) when they first shied away from me (because they didn't know how to react) I am sure I would have continued to have them as friends, rather than feeling more isolated and even worse about my problems! How do I know? Because slowly these friends came back to me, and after talking more they are my friends again Because I didn't talk to them at the time it was easiest for both sides to drift apart, but now I look back and think 'we wasted all those years'.

It's not easy, at all, but it is very much easier than going through just one anxious period or panic attack!!

Very best wishes to you

Quote Originally Posted by gypsywomen View Post
    I agree with this also. I gave my family and friends some leaflets and photocopied pages from book about anxiety disorders to read to try and help them understand.

Also, when I'm really ill I tend to push people away myself and I don't always realise I'm doing it at the time. It's usually in hindsight before I realise what I was doing. I just like to crawl into a corner and "lick my wounds", ignoring the door/phone until I feel ready to face people.

Take care. x

Quote Originally Posted by haz View Post

Also, when I'm really ill I tend to push people away myself and I don't always realise I'm doing it at the time. It's usually in hindsight before I realise what I was doing. I just like to crawl into a corner and "lick my wounds", ignoring the door/phone until I feel ready to face people.
    I think probably most of the forum will relate to this, great post!

Thread Information